Champion Develops "FIX" Plug for 5.4L 3 valves!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
How about a conspiracy theory? Ford has told dealers to buy up all they can to keep them out of the hands of the public?

I'd like to think these are actually savvy dealers that want to use them to HELP their customers avoid later issues.........or maybe install them on the brand new trucks on the lot for this reason.......

BUT! Why don't they try to buy out all the Brisk plugs too?
This is because BRISK is a RACING APPLICATION, and, are not platnum. Read back through the warranty about racing application parts.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:29 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Yeah, but it's still a 1 piece plug that will work okay in a stock engine. It just won't last 100k.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:55 PM
are the OEM plugs platinum?

Old 02-29-2008, 10:32 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Yep.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:18 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Yeah, but it's still a 1 piece plug that will work okay in a stock engine. It just won't last 100k.
Agreed! I would definitely put either a Brisk or the Champion in my truck asap if i owned a 3V 5.4

I have found out from a friend that the 08's have the same crap 2 piece plug in them as well. So, if you are getting an 08, go ahead and order the one piece plugs and be ready to do a swap when you get it. Yes they had antisieze on them, but, I still wouldn't give them a chance to break in there.

Just my opinion.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by hootdangmac
Agreed! I would definitely put either a Brisk or the Champion in my truck asap if i owned a 3V 5.4

I have found out from a friend that the 08's have the same crap 2 piece plug in them as well. So, if you are getting an 08, go ahead and order the one piece plugs and be ready to do a swap when you get it. Yes they had antisieze on them, but, I still wouldn't give them a chance to break in there.

Just my opinion.
I believe the 08's have a redesigned cylinder head design, and do not have this problem. The TSB only applies to vehicle built prior to oct 07.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd just like for these one piece champion plugs to be readily available asap.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealth
I'd just like for these one piece champion plugs to be readily available asap.
I'm sure that the market will be flooded with them soon!....

Old 03-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by bubbajoe28
I believe the 08's have a redesigned cylinder head design, and do not have this problem. The TSB only applies to vehicle built prior to oct 07.

If there is any stone cold proof of this out there I would love to see it. I have heard the same thing before but have yet to get any proof of this. From my conversation with a few people at Ford, they have no recallection of the design change.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If there is any stone cold proof of this out there I would love to see it. I have heard the same thing before but have yet to get any proof of this. From my conversation with a few people at Ford, they have no recallection of the design change.

Go to a dealer and tell the sales person you want to buy this truck but want to see one of the spark plugs before you buy it

There are a couple of people on here that work for Ford one way or another and said that the after 10/07 that the plugs and heads are redesigned....I guess you can take it or leave it. But the latest TSB that only applies to engines built prior to 10/7 seems to go along with it. So I think there has been a change. So if true not all of the 08's will have this "new" design since I'm sure they built several before that date.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:58 PM
There are a couple of people on here that work for Ford one way or another and said that the after 10/07 that the plugs and heads are redesigned....I guess you can take it or leave it. But the latest TSB that only applies to engines built prior to 10/7 seems to go along with it. So I think there has been a change. So if true not all of the 08's will have this "new" design since I'm sure they built several before that date.
I saw that on the bulletin and was wondering about that myself...the latest year I have done a plug change on was an 06...next time I'm on the phone with "The Hotline" maybe I'll ask to see what has been done to remedy this...I'll post up anything I can find out.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:13 AM
Originally Posted by dkstone05
Go to a dealer and tell the sales person you want to buy this truck but want to see one of the spark plugs before you buy it

I hear your point. My point is, I have spoken with a reputable Ford Service Department manager in my area, and he has no recallection of a HEAD DESIGN CHANGE. He did however elaborate the reason for the date cutoff on the TSB was because they started using antisieze on the plugs at the factory after that date.

And to add to the speculation, everyone I have read on here that works for FORD will neither confirm nor deny that this change (other than the use of antisize) took place.

Thanks FordTech1 for finding out for us.

Last edited by hootdangmac; 03-02-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTech1
I saw that on the bulletin and was wondering about that myself...the latest year I have done a plug change on was an 06...next time I'm on the phone with "The Hotline" maybe I'll ask to see what has been done to remedy this...I'll post up anything I can find out.
Thanks! It is people like you, who actually work for FORD that will help educate people about this matter, & may in time FORD will have a remedy for this matter!...........

Old 03-02-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm really disappointed in Ford as relates to this friggin' spark plug matter. After all, we're talking about PLUGS. I had my dealer change mine out at 26,000 miles and it was a good thing I did. The factory put the wrong damned plugs in it to begin with!

................and some folks chastise Ford for not offering cylinder deactivation.
If they have so much trouble with static spark plugs, I don't want any more moving parts to have to contend with.

I'm really happy with my truck and have had no real issues with it that weren't covered under warranty, but it's high time for Ford to put this one to rest.

I mean, consider that we have all this stress and worry about some damned spark plugs. In the face of all the technology that has been incorporated into our trucks, we have to worry about PLUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the Champion plug performs well and solves the issue, then I'll buy 'em as soon as they are available. I've only got 46,000 miles on my truck now, but I'll have 'em put in right away to end this madness once and for all.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear your point. My point is, I have spoken with a reputable Ford Service Department manager in my area, and he has no recallection of a HEAD DESIGN CHANGE. He did however elaborate the reason for the date cutoff on the TSB was because they started using antisieze on the plugs at the factory after that date.

And to add to the speculation, everyone I have read on here that works for FORD winn neither confirm nor deny that this change (other than the use of antisize) took place.

Thanks FordTech1 for finding out for us.
I think it was some time in the 06 models that the factory started to anti-seize on the plugs.

Quick Reply: Champion Develops "FIX" Plug for 5.4L 3 valves!