(Help) NEW IGNITION COILS 1997-2005

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Help) NEW IGNITION COILS 1997-2005

I need some advice on buying these coils off of ebay,has anyone used them.It's a killer deal and hard to pass up expecially now that I need them.
$100.00 will buy two at a auto parts store and here I get all(8).
I changed out all eight plugs and that did not help my hesitation when I pull back at 35-40 mph,other than that it runs awesome.
Thanks

Old 09-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Those have a record from people who purchased them over the last year or so. A step up from those would be the Moto-Blues which are about $200 US.

I think RPM outlet has them.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130153761651 I bought these, 2 year warranty, cant beat it.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Joe Styles
I need some advice on buying these coils off of ebay,has anyone used them.It's a killer deal and hard to pass up expecially now that I need them.
$100.00 will buy two at a auto parts store and here I get all(8).
I changed out all eight plugs and that did not help my hesitation when I pull back at 35-40 mph,other than that it runs awesome.
Thanks
We just bought ours off ebay from global for 96 plus shipping. It's been about week now and no problems. Also installed correct Motorcraft Plugs (agsf22mw?) don't have the exact part number in front of me. Took 3.5 hours total and used 15lbs torque for plugs. Also bought an OBD2 scanner to check my progress. I managed to do all without removing fuel rails and also vacuumed and blew out every cylinder before removing old plug (Autolite app103 -too hot temp range)....gave me problems on cylinder 4...
repair shop charged me 80 for one coil...I kept theirs (from hungary) for a spare

Old 09-18-2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by road glide
We just bought ours off ebay from global for 96 plus shipping. It's been about week now and no problems. Also installed correct Motorcraft Plugs (agsf22mw?) don't have the exact part number in front of me. Took 3.5 hours total and used 15lbs torque for plugs. Also bought an OBD2 scanner to check my progress. I managed to do all without removing fuel rails and also vacuumed and blew out every cylinder before removing old plug (Autolite app103 -too hot temp range)....gave me problems on cylinder 4...
repair shop charged me 80 for one coil...I kept theirs (from hungary) for a spare

Now just where did you learn how to do all that right??

Old 09-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Talking

Actually a year ago after we bought our 2002 Screw f150 I started looking at the forum. Give yourself a pat on the back as the info has been great. I know you are one of the major contributors.....However, working for Ford twice I have some skills, sp I put them to work This past year I've been working in another industry (Propane gas). So with YOUR/THE FORUMS advice I did it myself. Now I know it's done right. By the way I used antiseize on the new plugs ( coated lightly, gapped at 54 & used 15 ft lbs of torque with 3/8 drive Torque Wrench). Hope we get another 100k out of this truck.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:49 AM

Thumbs up

Good job!! These forums helped me countless times.

One thing - Some of us stopped using anti -seize on the plugs in the 97 - 03 models.

Think it may be having adverse effects and causing them to loosen as reported by a well recognized tech on this site .

So if you here the signs (exhaust leak -air dejecting) check out the plugs right away.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by built54
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130153761651 I bought these, 2 year warranty, cant beat it.

Built54 - That link doesn't work

Old 09-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Good job!! These forums helped me countless times.

One thing - Some of us stopped using anti -seize on the plugs in the 97 - 03 models.

Think it may be having adverse effects and causing them to loosen as reported by a well recognized tech on this site .

So if you here the signs (exhaust leak -air dejecting) check out the plugs right away.

I plan on checking the plugs in 30-60 days for torque. I used just enough anti-seize to coat the threads all the way around very lightly knowing that I could have a problem with a loose plug down the road. Everything I saw for torque ratings were 11-14 ft lbs. It so happened that the torque wrench had 10-15-25 marked settings, so I got as close to 15 as possible. My wife drives the truck and so she has been alerted to the possible sounds of a looose plug even before we did the tune up.
For anybody that reads this, after you clean the spark plug hole BEFORE pulling the plug with a shop vacuum and skinny nozzle and then blow out the hole with an air gun and compressor (Protect your eyes!) Then use a regular 5/8 spark plug socket with the rubber insert to extract the old plug. I used a 1/4 drive ratchet with 1/4 extension (varying lengths) with a 1/4 x 3/8 adapter to the plug socket to minimize the torque in pulling out the old plugs.
I had a few that I had to use 3/8 all the way but still worked gently and all the plugs came out good, some a little tighter than the others. Luckily, the guy before me that installed the autolites didn't damage the spark plug threads. I did one complete cylinder at a time (plug, coil) and after the passenger side was done, I restarted the engine just enough to keep the block slightly warm to touch. Like I said in earlier threads, I was able to get torque (15 ) to each cylinder as worked progressed.
One website said 28-32 ft lbs, but a majority said 11-14....so I went with 15 because of the anti seize.....thanks again fellow Ford folks!!

Old 09-19-2007, 12:59 PM

Quick Reply: (Help) NEW IGNITION COILS 1997-2005