Engine failsafe mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine failsafe mode

I have a 04 f150 4x4. I tried to install a throttle body spacer the other day but it was the wrong part, so i put everything back on the way it was and now the engine failsafe mode light comes on. Any ideas on what to do??? any advice is greatly appreciated

Old 08-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds like you didn't disconnect the battery first. Something you have to do before putting a wrench to it. Throttle body specers do absolutly nothing for these motors . You got scammed.

You might have fried the PCM if the battery wasn't disconnected.

I don't know what to tell you on the 04. The TB is different on those.

make sure everything is pluged in and reset/reboot the computer.

Last edited by jbrew; 08-17-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it was a gift so i didnt buy it. What should i do about this problem though? Disconnect the battery and what i disconnected for the throttle body then hook it all back up? or should i take it to the shop and let them run my wallet dry??

Old 08-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Didja booger with the throttle body assembly in any way? Move the throttle blade by accident?

Apart from not following the highly recommended 'always disconnect the battery before working on yer engine' mantra, you may have 'de-calibrated' or otherewise peckerated dat thang.

You could try a batt disconnect to clear the KAM in the PCM - but I think in your case you may be lookin' at a dealer visit to service the TB.

BTW - I assume you checked your work and there are no connectors, etc hanging / unsecured.

Finally - one of the great things about a forum like this is it's also a repository for what not to do, as well as all the other benefits. A quick search would have prevented this whole mess, as it would have confirmed that a TB spacer was a useless mod to begin with. Perhaps next time ....?

Good luck.

Bubba

Quick Reply: Engine failsafe mode