Rislone

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rislone

Anybody ever use it? I seen a tech using it the other day when doing his oil change, said hes been using it for years. I have the tick, I only put a little bit in cause I don't want to be a qaurt over, but it seems like the tick got quieter.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it similar to the Engine restore stuff? Ive never used it but was wondering if anyone here has as well.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
Anybody ever use it? I seen a tech using it the other day when doing his oil change, said hes been using it for years. I have the tick, I only put a little bit in cause I don't want to be a qaurt over, but it seems like the tick got quieter.
I have a quart in my truck right now (because I needed to add oil and it was all I had on the shelf). I don't notice anything different. We'll see if it slows down the oil usage. I doubt it, but we'll see.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Forgot signature. '97 4.6W F-150 with 311,000 miles.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
311k?? how much oil are you burning between changes???

Old 05-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
It is a 20W mineral oil fluid for the carrier base with very low levels of additives like Phosphorus at 330 and Calcium at 750. These additives are about 1/4 of the additives found in common Xw-20 oils. Not hardly worth buying today. In yesterdays engines where sludge was common and sticking lifters and rings were common, the thinner base made for a cleaner engine and the stuff acted like a penetration oil. Those issues are long gone with todays common oils. If you just want to spend money on your engine, I'll PM you my home address and you can send me the money. I'll be glad to pray for your engine. It'll probably get you farther down the road.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My oil gets dirty quick, like 1500 miles quick, so doesn't that lead you to believe that my has some sort of sludgy build up? I know that my truck got the hell beat out of it by previous owner since it was a fleet vehicle, so I doubt the oil was changed on a regular basis and that there is some sort of build-up going on.

Trending Topics

Old 05-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by keith97xlt
311k?? how much oil are you burning between changes???
It depends what I'm doing, but anything between 1qt/1100 miles
and 1qt/1600miles is typical. I've using Castrol Sytech 5w-50 and changing it every 6000 miles. The Sytech does seem to slow the oil usage slightly over 5w-30 mineral oil.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
My oil gets dirty quick, like 1500 miles quick, so doesn't that lead you to believe that my has some sort of sludgy build up? I know that my truck got the hell beat out of it by previous owner since it was a fleet vehicle, so I doubt the oil was changed on a regular basis and that there is some sort of build-up going on.
I don't know about cleaning out a modular, and I'm in no way suggesting you do this, but I've seen great results on sludged small block chevys using 1 quart of dextron III in a normal oil change for a few hundred miles and then a conventional oil change. The trans fluid has a very high detergent content and lubricates very well.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bent6
I don't know about cleaning out a modular, and I'm in no way suggesting you do this, but I've seen great results on sludged small block chevys using 1 quart of dextron III in a normal oil change for a few hundred miles and then a conventional oil change. The trans fluid has a very high detergent content and lubricates very well.
I used to run a quick lube many many years ago and one of the things we'd do for cars that had gone like 15K plus between oil changes was to take out a quart of oil (if they actually had some in the engine... don't ask) and add a quart of ATF, let it run for 5 minutes and drain it. It's super duper great at cleaning out the caked on goo but no good for running day to day. We've had cars with so much sludge in the pan that you'd take out the plug and it'd ooze like honey or just not at all... poke a screwdriver through the sludge and oil would proceed to pour out. People are such retards sometimes.

my stepdad (20 years ago) used Rislone and it got us basically exactly nothing and it seemed to make the car diesel more often. You can do good adding a bottle 10 miles before an oil change to help break up the sludge but other than that it's several bucks wasted.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tranny fluid is a great cleaner. every few oil changes i did it to my dakota. had 150k when i sold her she ran good.if it has alot of miles be careful you might end up clogging the oil screen. ever know what the owner did before you. then you on your back dropping the pan. not fun.

Quick Reply: Rislone