Bad PCM Need Help Locating

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad PCM Need Help Locating

I spent most of the day yesterday at Mike Troyers place I thought working out a few bugs with my tunes. Well come to find out the tunes are fine but the PCM is going nuts. I contacted my local Ford dealer to enquire about one to match mine with a Tear Tag Code of PWS2 only to find out that this one has been updated and is no longer available. They would have to order the PCM and physically have it in hand to know what the Tear Tag Code was. Even then a different Code means new tunes. Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas/sources. I sure hate to buy a new PCM have to wait for new tunes and then have Ford install the PCM with me there to load the new tunes. HELP!!

Old 04-27-2007, 12:22 AM
If it's still running, drive it until it quits. Then throw dow the 1,000's that you will probably have to spend trying to fix it.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:49 AM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Im not sure I fully understand what your saying.
Your truck being an 01 should still have the OEM program in the 'as built' data base the dealer can access and down load.
If it's the program thats the problem, then reflash with the revision, then have you tunes built to the new flash.
If you have a hardware fault in the PCM and need a replacement, then a reflash; that should also be possible.
Along with all this, you need to have the PATS reprogrammed with at least two keys because the codes change.
Otherwise if the truck runs on stock, order the new 'whatever' you need and go from there..

Old 04-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Im not sure I fully understand what your saying.
Your truck being an 01 should still have the OEM program in the 'as built' data base the dealer can access and down load.
If it's the program thats the problem, then reflash with the revision, then have you tunes built to the new flash.
If you have a hardware fault in the PCM and need a replacement, then a reflash; that should also be possible.
Along with all this, you need to have the PATS reprogrammed with at least two keys because the codes change.
Otherwise if the truck runs on stock, order the new 'whatever' you need and go from there..
Thanks Bluegrass. I will talk to my local dealer and see what they say. I was thinking on the same line but that is not what I was hearing yesterday from the parts guy.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:01 AM
Will you tell us the whole story? Who said the pcm was bad? Why did they think that?

Old 04-27-2007, 05:04 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I picked up a used PCM in a bone yard. Go to car-part.com and search for your model. It is called a COMPUTER BOX ENGINE in the parts listing. In the list of available models it is an ECU. You will need the tag off the PCM that has the code. In your case PWS2. Above that you will see 4 letters with a dash then 2 letters. For example 1L1A-CA or 1L1F-CC. That is the code that you will need to find the same PCM as the one in your truck.

JMC

EDIT: I mean the sticker on the cover to the access port. If you look at the sticker on the Connector it will be below the bar code and it will look like this. 1L1A-12A650-CA. Disregard the 12A650 or what ever is in between the dashes. You will need the first 4 digits and the last two.

Last edited by JMC; 04-27-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:58 PM
I went ahead and ordered the updated version of the PCM from the dealer. If the custom tunes don't work at start up the mechanic is going to put the old computer back in and I will get new tunes to match the tear tag of the new computer and then re-install. The most I could lose is a couple hours labor. That is a drop in the bucket compared to what is already invested in this vehicle!! If you read my original post you can see how we came to the conclusion that the PCM was bad. There was also a certified Ford mechanic in the shop looking at the numbers when the data logging was being done. Really weird numbers like 25% lean on bank 1 while 70% rich on bank 2. This is just a tip of the iceburg of what the PCM was spitting out.

Quick Reply: Bad PCM Need Help Locating