04 5.4 liter FlexFuel Conversion? is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 5.4 liter FlexFuel Conversion? is it possible?

I have an 04 scab f150 with the 5.4liter 3valve motor. the 05 and up models are offered in a flex fuel version, but the 04 was not. I called my ford dealer, and he said it could be done, but at high price. I find it hard to believe that there is that much different. I say this because Ford offers this flexfuel option at no additional charge. has anyone done this already, or have any idea how? It would help alot were I live, because E85 is only $2.12 a gallon or less compared to $2.89 for 87 octane gas. this savings could pay for itself in a year.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:23 PM
very possible to convert, whether it will pay for itself in a year depends on how much it costs, how much you drive and whether the current prices you quote remain in effect for a year...but my initial guess is no way

Old 04-27-2007, 12:10 AM
It is possible to convert. Whether or not it is harmful is a debate that could only be settled by the designers of the vehicle....

1. Are ALL the fuel delivery components capable of withstanding E-85?
2. Are the engine components capable of withstanding the corrosive nature of E-85 and it's potentially corrosive combustion byproducts?
3. Will the fuel delivery components keep up with the extra fuel requirements?
4. Can you convince the computer to deliver the right ammount of fuel?
5. Can you convince the computer to deliver the correct ammount of spark advance?
6. Can the catalytic converters handle it?

I guess the most important question is... Can you afford to fix the truck if you break it?

Old 04-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I suppose it could, but why would you want to? Fuel mileage with E85 is significantly less than what you get with gasoline, so you're using more E85 to go the same distance you would using gasoline. Kinda hits the point of diminishing return - there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by chester8420
It is possible to convert. Whether or not it is harmful is a debate that could only be settled by the designers of the vehicle....

1. Are ALL the fuel delivery components capable of withstanding E-85?

Yes all of the gasket that are used now with companies offering E85 are E85 ready

2. Are the engine components capable of withstanding the corrosive nature of E-85 and it's potentially corrosive combustion byproducts?

Once again as answered above if the manufacturer offers it the engine ready for it even if it is not in your car

3. Will the fuel delivery components keep up with the extra fuel requirements?

Yes. the only thing that changes is the time that the injectors are open 1-4ms more

4. Can you convince the computer to deliver the right ammount of fuel?

Thats the ticket you may have to change you computer or purchase a E85 converter kit so that your injectors stay open longer.

5. Can you convince the computer to deliver the correct ammount of spark advance?

Spark does not change

6. Can the catalytic converters handle it?

E85 runs cooler than gas so yes the cats can handle it, it burns cleaner than gas.

I guess the most important question is... Can you afford to fix the truck if you break it?
Shouldnt break at all..

****Important note please not that if E85 is $1.00 and gas is $2.00 that you will use approx 1.25-1.30 gallons of E85 to equal gas just because its less expensive doesnt mean it's cheaper. My cutoff out here is when gas is over $2.75/gallon and E85 is 1.99-2.09 then its worth it for me.****

Hope that helps.

Miko

Old 04-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rangermach1
I have an 04 scab f150 with the 5.4liter 3valve motor. the 05 and up models are offered in a flex fuel version, but the 04 was not. I called my ford dealer, and he said it could be done, but at high price. I find it hard to believe that there is that much different. I say this because Ford offers this flexfuel option at no additional charge. has anyone done this already, or have any idea how? It would help alot were I live, because E85 is only $2.12 a gallon or less compared to $2.89 for 87 octane gas. this savings could pay for itself in a year.
I suggest you use the search function to pull up all relevant E85 posts by a member named "Tschaid". He has actually already done this.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:22 PM
I will be converting my 04 to run E85 once gasoline hits $4.50 a gallon... The higher octane that E85 has would be helpful too.

Its mostly just a new tune, fuel pump, fuel lines, and injectors i think... hopefully...

Old 04-27-2007, 11:36 PM
As MGD said, SEARCH! This topic has been discussed and argued about extensively.

Quick Reply: 04 5.4 liter FlexFuel Conversion? is it possible?