Tune-up question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tune-up question...

I have a 5.4L in my '01 Screw and want to do a tune-up bc I feel it's probably been a while (I bought the truck last summer) I've been told by a few people that the first six plugs can be changed fairly quickly, but the back two are a b... to get to. Does anyone suggest I try to tackle this myself... or should I pay the other arm and leg (one arm and leg are already gone from gas prices...) to get it done at a shop??

Old 04-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bizzie094
I have a 5.4L in my '01 Screw and want to do a tune-up bc I feel it's probably been a while (I bought the truck last summer) I've been told by a few people that the first six plugs can be changed fairly quickly, but the back two are a b... to get to. Does anyone suggest I try to tackle this myself... or should I pay the other arm and leg (one arm and leg are already gone from gas prices...) to get it done at a shop??
How many miles on it? Schedule to replace plugs is 100k.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Big-O wanted to charge me $300 to change the plugs on my 4.6. I’m looking to replace mine as well, and I think I’m just going to do it my self this weekend. For some reason I don’t feel like paying that much to change spark plugs…

Old 04-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
I have 127,000 miles on a 2001 and have ne odea when or if they have been changed. I've been told that it's a different job entirely on the 5.4, than it is on the 4.6.... because of the placement of the back two plugs. BOOOO!!!

Old 04-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes , you can change yourself , it's not that bad. I've done many - just 5.4L's. The 5four has a taller block than the 4six due to the longer stroke, things are more cramped. It takes 3-4 hours the first time when doing the changeout - it takes me 2 hours to do it covering all the bases. These are high tech motors that require that you do this properly. Don't let that scare yuh, regardless it's not bad..

Matts external link can help you with the changeout -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/li...parkplugs.html

Originally Posted by blackbeamer86
Big-O wanted to charge me $300 to change the plugs on my 4.6. I’m looking to replace mine as well, and I think I’m just going to do it my self this weekend. For some reason I don’t feel like paying that much to change spark plugs…
You think 300 is bad - a friend of the family was charged 800 just for labor on an 06 - he didn't know I could have helped him with it..

Last edited by jbrew; 04-14-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by kingfish51
Scheduled plug replacement on the 2001 is 60-65 thousand

Old 04-14-2007, 08:28 PM
DEFINITLEY do this one yourself.. Its not that bad. I've done plugs on a number of other vehicles that were straightforward - and I have to admit when I looked at my 5.4L I was doing alot of headscratching.. but seriously, once you get it started, its a piece of cake.

I used this webpage to get me started, has some pics and a list of what you will need: http://mattstruck.com/sparkplugs/sparkplugs.html

Just make sure you have all the extensions and some u-joints.. Change out all the COP's while your at it. I got all 8 of mine at autozone for $60 (rubber boot and coil). Once I figured out where the fuel line was and located the injectors, it took me about 3.5 hrs. Bad news was that I put in Bosch plugs, and the truck didn't feel right.. after doing some more reading and learning that most people have issues with those plugs, I went and bought some motorcrafts and did it all over again the next night.. 2nd time, it took me just over 2 hrs.. After your done you will wonder why you ever even considered paying the dealership hundreds for this.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:58 PM

Yeah changing out your COP's is the best possible tune up you can give your motor - Buy the COP's from Kevin at his store, most people thats been on this site for awhile purchase from him @ Global Auto - he charges $96 (thats for all 8!!) and has a 1 year warranty - NOBODY has been able to beet his deals..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-I...mZ160105510619

Absolutly DO NOT use Bosch Pugs.....Use OEM Motorcraft Platinums

Last edited by jbrew; 04-14-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:17 PM

Just some advise , all you have to do on this site is use the search bar . Along with me and others have posted these answers many times over. Not just to these questions alone , but many others as well. I prolly posted this info above over 50 times - so , this info is easy to find

Good Luck

Old 04-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Buy a torque wrench, read the shop manual...then don't forget to use the wrench you just bought. Do these things and I would think you will go a long way towards not having a plug blow out later on down the line. Ford didn't put very many threads on the head for each plug, so twist those plugs wisely...

Just my two cents,

Mike

Old 04-14-2007, 09:22 PM
That's awesome guys..... thanks... I've never done this before, but I'm sure that I can do it.... I also have a brother and a buddy that are pretty good around a car and can help if I need it. I'm pretty mechanical myself, but I don't have a lot of experience around an engine in any way.... Now that I have this truck, I will be getting that experience.... I plan to do a lot of mods in the near future and will be trying my hand at doing most of them myself... once again, thanks.. and any other tips would be appreciated!!!

Old 04-14-2007, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by mrainey889
Buy a torque wrench, read the shop manual...then don't forget to use the wrench you just bought. Do these things and I would think you will go a long way towards not having a plug blow out later on down the line. Ford didn't put very many threads on the head for each plug, so twist those plugs wisely...

Just my two cents,

Mike
That's right !! The proper torque for those plugs in the 01 heads is 12-14 foot lbs..

Old 04-14-2007, 09:34 PM

That's awesome guys..... thanks... I've never done this before, but I'm sure that I can do it.... I also have a brother and a buddy that are pretty good around a car and can help if I need it. I'm pretty mechanical myself, but I don't have a lot of experience around an engine in any way.... Now that I have this truck, I will be getting that experience.... I plan to do a lot of mods in the near future and will be trying my hand at doing most of them myself... once again, thanks.. and any other tips would be appreciated!!!
No prob, Just remember to grease up the insides of the boots well - pull the boots right off each coil and take a long screwdriver coated with dielectric grease and do the entire inside of the boots. Don't worry about getting the grease on the springs in reassembly - that won't hurt anything.
This is avery important part of the process -
Without said grease the spark goes fricken nuts inside of the boots and will actually leave carbon trails upon visual inspection, performance and economy will suffer....

Last edited by jbrew; 04-14-2007 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Tune-up question...