cranking longer to start???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cranking longer to start???

My 99 f150 with 112,000 miles is taking a little longer to start. I have a remote starter that will not start the truck. I had the ful pump on the fuel tank repaced at about 70,000 miles. once running does not hesitate or run rough. what can I do to fix this?

Old 04-07-2007, 08:55 AM
How long are we talking?

Honestly, that just happens over time (I think the spec is anywhere up to like 5 seconds of crank time is considered normal)...there is a ball and a spring that sits in your fuel pump and the spring holds pressure on the ball which seals it up when no pressure is flowing by it...when that ball gets a little rough or the spring loses its tension, the fuel leaks back down into the tank...so now you have to wait for fuel to leave the tank, fill the lines, then get to the engine.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Could be any combination of several of things.
One, it could be the fuel pressure issue discussed above. One way to test this would be to turn the key to the "run" position (the fuel pump will start running) for a few seconds and then turn it to start. If this takes care of it, then fuel pressure is your issue.
Another possibility is just a wear and tear thing. As the engine gets more milage on it, the compression isn't as good. This will make it harder to start. It will also cost you some power, but the only solution is a total rebuild.
A third option is that your fuel injectors could be getting dirty and not producing as fine a mist of fuel as they used to. I'd try a bottle of good injector cleaner. I have always had very good results with the Lucas product line.
As far as the remote started goes, the one I installed on my wife's car had an option to allow for a longer crank time to start the engine. In the case that the engine doesn't start, it will also crank the engine repeated times to get it to start. You may want to see if yours has the same options. Good luck! Hope this is helpful.--DIY

Old 04-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Mine was taking longer to start and I replaced the battery and now starts like new

Old 04-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd start by putting a fuel pressure gauge on it. A bad fuel pressure regulator or leaky injectors will cause those symptoms. A vacuum leak or unmetered air can also cause those symptoms. Check for air leaks in the intake tract, pcv valve, and vacuum hoses.

Quick Reply: cranking longer to start???