Ticking!!! I Know Many Threads But

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 Ticking- Have Bigger Problem Now-Intake Cracked?

Hey guys, thanks for the info. Have a 04 F-150 SC 4X4, took it in at 40K and was told ticking was normal. Just turned 96K and truck backfired last week while cranking. Took to Ford Dealer and they think it is either a cracked intake manifold or blown gasket. I've got a vacuum leak somewhere, looks to be expensive. Engine is running rough at idle. Taking it in to new dealer next week, will update with the solution (If I get one). Anyway, anyone else have this problem? Here is a link to a TSB on the 5.4 L tickin/Phaser issue. Cut and paste it in your browser. Hope it helps, Mill
http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...php?tsb=06-4-7

Old 04-17-2007, 03:08 PM
My truck does this also. It is louder upon initial startup, then a few seconds after i start it, it is not as loud, but still noticeable. I am going to call the Ford place and find out if it is covered by the extended waranty. I have already met my $100 deductible for the year, I had a leak in my rear diff.....

Old 05-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Good Luck

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
The truck is fixed!! What a wonderfully pleasant experience I had with Scenic Ford out of Mount Airy, NC. I had an appointment for Tuesday morning at 8 and I dropped it off Monday morning at 8:30 just so they could confirm the noise and get the parts ordered - they called me at noon on Monday to tell me that the truck was done! They replaced both phasers under warranty, which is great since I'm almost at 36K. I took the truck to one dealership and they said it was normal, even after I argued. I then called two more and explained it to them, and I got the "Well the 5.4s are just noisy motors, it's probably normal..." speech. I called Scenic after the other three, and they were GREAT from the get-go. Awesome service.It likely won't ever break - the cam phaser issue isn't a parts concern, I just hated the knock. I could literally hear mine over the radio at idle. If I wanted to sound like a diesel, I'd have bought a diesel.
I had both my phasers replaced in August of last year.....Within a couple months the noise is back..... haven't had a chance to take it back yet.... very annoying and embarassing though...lol

Old 05-12-2007, 01:05 AM
That's what I've been wondering about, whether the new part's would last any longer than the originals. My 05 has this noise. Wouldn't seem out of place if I had some Cummins emblems for my fenders.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by RJP66F100
That's what I've been wondering about, whether the new part's would last any longer than the originals. My 05 has this noise. Wouldn't seem out of place if I had some Cummins emblems for my fenders.
Yeah the worst part is when your in a drive thru and your next to the wall waiting to pay and the noise deflects...... Very annoying my friends are always like "how old is this truck?" It's very embarassing

Old 07-08-2007, 01:45 AM
Just wondering were you all hear this noise coming from. I just bought an 04FX4 which has just recently developed this tick, or knock, or whatever you want to call it. It does this when the engine is hot or cold. Thing is it seems way louder when I stick my head under the truck behind the front wheels than if I open the hood and listen from the top. From the top everything is quiet. From the bottom I definitely got some kind of a tick of some sort. Just wondering where everyone else is finding it's the loudest. Thanks.

Last edited by DaHammer7; 07-08-2007 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:30 AM
What's the estimate on repairs for the cam phasers? My dealer is calling me back with an estimate and I'd like to be able to compare.

My Expedition sounds like I fill it up with diesel too, even the passengers in the back seat make comments! It is embarrassing like a previous poster said!

Old 07-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by mnponds
My 06 had the same issue, sounded like a diesel when warm. Dealer replaced both cam phasers under warranty with no issues. As soon as I started describing the problems, (ticking, bad mileage, poor power), the service writer pegged it right away. The truck runs much better now, and my mileage has improved almost 3mpg since the fix. There is a TSB on this issue, so don't let the dealer tell you it is normal. If neccesary, bring it to another dealer.
the TSB specifically states that the ticking does not affect power/durability/etc..

So much for that.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:29 PM
there is a tsp report out there for cam phaser, I had the ticking on my truck I only had 10000 miles on it at the time, took it to the dealer with the tsp report and had them listen to the truck heard it and picked my truck back up 2 days later. havent had any problems since and I got almost 29000 on my truck now.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:11 PM
well am on my 3rd set of cam phase sensors. this problem is far more common
than i think ford will admit. i now have customer care involved not sure why because they are doing absolutly nothing for me either.

2004 f150 5.4 screw. 79,000 miles. there is a supposed update on these sensors but they still go out. i had a ford mech in NJ tell me this problem
will NEVER go away. some motors have it others dont. which leaves me to belive its a engine defect. after all they are all the same motors and the fact i am on my 3rd soon to be 4th set of sensors since 24,000 miles.

yes the ticking is back after only 4,000 miles since the last replacement

wish i had a 4.6 in the truck the 2003 and earlier 5.4 motors dont seem to have this issue. i have been dealing with this issue for 2 yrs and am fed up

hate to say it. but the GMC sierra is going to be my next purchase

i cant take it anymore. no help from ford motors or any dealers.

run away from this motor as far and fast as you can

Old 10-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Good thing I found this topic. My truck is doing the same thing now. It started as I was towing my explorer back from NJ last week. I took it to the dealer and they told me that my "aftermarket oil filter was to small restricting the flow of oil to right head of the motor" Well, at least this is what the TSB they printed out told me. They changed my oil (Since thats one of the things I brought it in for) and told me it was fine and the sound was gone.

Well, when I start it it makes a sort of loud ticking until the truck warms and idles. At idle it is gone but when I am driving I can hear it, especially when I pull next to a wall or something reflexes the sound. My first thought is a broken manifold, but now maybe it is the cam phaser.

My truck has 30,000 miles on it and it is 20 days out of warentee. If there is something serously wrong, I will make them fix it or take it to court. This is insanity that a truck with this low of miles can be having problems like this already. If it was not for the plow I just put on the truck last month, Id trade this damn thing in on a Sierra 3500 duramax.

Quick Reply: Ticking!!! I Know Many Threads But