Ticking!!! I Know Many Threads But

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
WHAT???? If a dealer told me that, I'd leave his lot and never return.
Might explain why the truck was 3000 cheaper than everyone else.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:06 AM
I would really like to see info on the cost or if this is something that the average back yard "do it you selfer" can fix. I hate taking my ride to the stealer for work...

Any input on cost and how hard the job is to do???

Old 04-01-2007, 11:21 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I was referring to the statement that it was *illegal* to offer a warranty. That's just BS. If they want to sell it "as is" that's their prerogative but it's *hardly* illegal to offer a used vehicle warranty. I bought my 03 used last fall from a Lincoln-Mercury dealer and they gave me a 30 day full drivetrain warranty.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by glc
I was referring to the statement that it was *illegal* to offer a warranty. That's just BS. If they want to sell it "as is" that's their prerogative but it's *hardly* illegal to offer a used vehicle warranty. I bought my 03 used last fall from a Lincoln-Mercury dealer and they gave me a 30 day full drivetrain warranty.
They offered to SELL me one. Does anybody know how long you have to buy the ESP. Might buy a short one just to get it fixed.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:58 PM
My 5.4L ticked for about 2 years, we figured it was leaking manifolds, then I blew out a spark plug a month ago. New coil pack and plug, heli-coil the plug hole, sounds like new.

We have another 5.4L on site, same noise mine was making, the mechs pulled it in, had a loose plug, same cylinder as mine. Local Ford dealer said they've had lots of 5.4L plugs blow out, always the same cylinder too.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:43 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Selling a used vehicle warranty is very legit.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Replacing the cam phasers isnt something i would recomend doing urself. I saw a little bit of the tech workin on my truck when i took it to the dealership, and thought "hell no"

Old 04-02-2007, 11:58 AM
I dropped my truck off to the dealership this morning for the cam phaser replacement. If they try to tell me it's normal, I'm going to come unhinged. I love the truck, but being able to hear the engine knocking louder than the radio at idle certainly ISN'T normal.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OK, you went from ticking (Normal injector noise) to knocking (Abnormal cam phaser noise), which one is it in for?

Old 04-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
OK, you went from ticking (Normal injector noise) to knocking (Abnormal cam phaser noise), which one is it in for?
I never said my truck was ticking - which it is, but I know it's normal - my problem is the cam phasers causing a knocking sound when the engine is up to normal operating temperature.

The dealership just called and they said they replaced both phasers and the truck is now very quiet aside from the injector tick - SWEET! I will update this thread tonite to confirm.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
I never said my truck was ticking - which it is, but I know it's normal - my problem is the cam phasers causing a knocking sound when the engine is up to normal operating temperature.

The dealership just called and they said they replaced both phasers and the truck is now very quiet aside from the injector tick - SWEET! I will update this thread tonite to confirm.
That's awesome. I'm going to have to try to get my noisy cam phasers looked at again. Last time they said it was normal, I may have to print out some of these threads as evidence.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine sounds like a desiel. I have 10,300 miles on an 06 5.4.
I have a factory warranty plus a extended warranty. I will drive mine like I stole it. If it breaks, I pay a bill, deductable, and then let them fix it. My experience on these kind of fixes is positive. Because the extended warranty provider get's hit so hard, they damn well make sure the fix is correct!

Hell, I pull trailers, haul heavy loads, I don't care, tick or not this thing pulls.
I doubt it will break, but if it does........... so what!

Puller

Old 04-03-2007, 10:39 AM
The truck is fixed!! What a wonderfully pleasant experience I had with Scenic Ford out of Mount Airy, NC. I had an appointment for Tuesday morning at 8 and I dropped it off Monday morning at 8:30 just so they could confirm the noise and get the parts ordered - they called me at noon on Monday to tell me that the truck was done! They replaced both phasers under warranty, which is great since I'm almost at 36K.
Originally Posted by Stealth
That's awesome. I'm going to have to try to get my noisy cam phasers looked at again. Last time they said it was normal, I may have to print out some of these threads as evidence.
I took the truck to one dealership and they said it was normal, even after I argued. I then called two more and explained it to them, and I got the "Well the 5.4s are just noisy motors, it's probably normal..." speech. I called Scenic after the other three, and they were GREAT from the get-go. Awesome service.
Originally Posted by ricfly52
Mine sounds like a desiel. I have 10,300 miles on an 06 5.4.
I have a factory warranty plus a extended warranty. I will drive mine like I stole it. If it breaks, I pay a bill, deductable, and then let them fix it. My experience on these kind of fixes is positive. Because the extended warranty provider get's hit so hard, they damn well make sure the fix is correct!

Hell, I pull trailers, haul heavy loads, I don't care, tick or not this thing pulls.
I doubt it will break, but if it does........... so what!

Puller
It likely won't ever break - the cam phaser issue isn't a parts concern, I just hated the knock. I could literally hear mine over the radio at idle. If I wanted to sound like a diesel, I'd have bought a diesel.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Thumbs up cam phaser problem

I had the same problem with my 06 . Have been battling it out with 2 dealerships because they said it was "normal" . It didn't sound like that when I bought it. One garage has finally agreed (after sitting in the cab and really listening to the motor) that it is indeed cam phasers--truck goes in on Monday and hopefully will be fixed!!! Don,t accept the "it's normal " decision. I had to go all the way to Ford Canada Customer Relations Department to get anywhere with this. Good luck to anyone else with the same problem!!!

Update: Problem Fixed, The truck just came out of the garage, NO MORE ticking noise.

It was the Cam Phasers.

Last edited by nfld007; 04-11-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:45 PM
thats awsome, that problem is exactly the same thing mine has. I know theres a normal tick from the injectors, but this tick is 10 times louder then that, and its only at idol. Did anyone of this fixedo tu of warranty? What did it cost? Mines out of warranty, they told me it was normal when I bought it.

Quick Reply: Ticking!!! I Know Many Threads But