Is the hurricane coming?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dixiebandit69
Because pushrod designs take up less space and have fewer parts, that's why. Why the f*ck should we be forced to buy 2 or 4 cams to upgrade our engines when those lucky GM & Mopar SOBs just have to get one?
You can have multiple valve setups with pushrods, just look at what diesel engines use. All available with less space taken up.
The 5.4 is larger EXTERNALLY than the 460 V8 that powers my '79 F150, for chrissake.
????
calm down tweedle dee.
last time i checked, it seems like almost every manufacturer was doing the OHC deal? PLUS its a CLEANER and STRONGER design, you dont have this ROD bouncing around just waiting to bend / break and bend you over. GET OVER IT, i dont want a push rod to snap or bend, my bro was driving his 360 or whatever it was and it bent a rod on a low load run.

as for the external- Because the HEADS are massive?

Old 02-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Klitch
????
calm down tweedle dee.
last time i checked, it seems like almost every manufacturer was doing the OHC deal? PLUS its a CLEANER and STRONGER design, you dont have this ROD bouncing around just waiting to bend / break and bend you over. GET OVER IT, i dont want a push rod to snap or bend, my bro was driving his 360 or whatever it was and it bent a rod on a low load run.

as for the external- Because the HEADS are massive?
Pushrods are only as strong as you make them. I've never had a pushrod fail on me, even when running really high valvespring pressures at high RPMs. Sounds like your bro had a Dodge problem (that is the 360 you are talking about, right?).
And yes, the 5.4 is massive because of the heads, because it has those cams riding on the top. Not a very space-efficient design.

I am just looking forward to a new, better designed engine that has some real bore spacing. All I'm saying is that one cam would be a big plus, and you also wouldn't need a bunch of special tools to change it. Have you seen how easy it is to change the cam on an LS1? You don't even have to take the lifters out!
Plus, you can get more lift out of your available cam with different ratio rocker arms on a pushrod engine. Have you seen anyone offering increased ratio rocker/cam motion transfer arms for modular engines? It would be great if they did.
As far as intake port design freedom goes, it is all in how you design the engine to begin with. If you start off with a *****ty design, then you will be limited on your options (like the way that Gen. 1&2 Small block Chevies have their intake ports pinched in because of the pushrods).

Old 02-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Call me old school in a young kids body. Pushrods and stickshifts ferever!

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Ford isn't bringing a bigger engine out until 2009?

Old 02-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

UberDude is right unless things suddenly change. The plan is to put the new engine in the 2009 model year which means they should be available in late 2008. The only thing I have heard different from UberDude is that Romeo will be getting the engine not Cleveland. I have seen activity in our department that leads me to think we will get it. I also heard there will be an official announcement around April this year. With cost cutting etc.anything is possible.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
UberDude is right unless things suddenly change. The plan is to put the new engine in the 2009 model year which means they should be available in late 2008. The only thing I have heard different from UberDude is that Romeo will be getting the engine not Cleveland. I have seen activity in our department that leads me to think we will get it. I also heard there will be an official announcement around April this year. With cost cutting etc.anything is possible.
HI!... Don't know if this is true or not, but I heard from some buddies that FORD has a few of the experimental 6.2's at the WINDSOR engine plant right now, in the dyno rooms doing testing.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
Do you know yet if the plug issues will be addessed on the 6.2 and what do you think of 2 plugs per cylinder seems like more trouble to me??

Old 02-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Because pushrod designs take up less space and have fewer parts, that's why.
Smaller, yes. Fewer parts, no. Remember, each valve on a pushrod and OHC engine has a rocker arm, valve spring, guide, etc and a pushrod motor adds complexity with the actual pushrods. With an OHC setup, you add one part (an extra cam for the other cylinder head), and save 16 (more if you're running more than 2 valves per cylinder).

Why the f*ck should we be forced to buy 2 or 4 cams to upgrade our engines when those lucky GM & Mopar SOBs just have to get one?
Ever swapped out a cam on a pushrod motor? Ever swapped out cams on an OHC motor? I'd gladly trade the higher initial cost for ease of installation. With my SE-R (DOHC), I could swap both cams in under 30 minutes without rushing. Not to mention with most pushrod motors, a cam swap means you're more than likely going to need to buy matching pushrods.

You can have multiple valve setups with pushrods, just look at what diesel engines use. All available with less space taken up.
The 5.4 is larger EXTERNALLY than the 460 V8 that powers my '79 F150, for chrissake.
Sure you can, but what's the point? An OHC setup will take advantage of those additional valves with a lighter, higher revving valvetrain. To get a pushrod setup to rev as high as an OHC setup you would need stiffer valve springs to control the extra moving parts and their associated mass to prevent valve float. The stiffer valvesprings decrease valvetrain efficiency. This works well for diesel engines because they're turbocharged (which would take advantage of the additional flow) and only rev to 4,000 rpm anyway, making valve float a non issue.

But, I agree. For a truck, since all I care about is low-end power for towing/hauling its heavy *** around, pushrods work just fine and make it far simpler to work on everything (except for valvetrain parts). My father-in-law's GMC's engine looks tiny compared to my F150's and a header swap looks ridiculously easy compared to the multi hour nightmare it is on my truck.

For a car, DOHC is the way to go. Nothing sounds sexier than a lightly muffled multi-valve V8 soaring to 7000+rpm...

Last edited by SRockwood; 02-08-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I actually don't know much more than I have already written. They are really keeping the lid on this program. I hear cylinder cancelation is planned but that may not happen right away. I am only guessing. I hear it will give a Hemi a run for it's money though so someone is testing them. Windsor may very well be testing right now. Our Dyno test cells are currently booked up so we have no room in our schedule for testing new programs. Ford is definitely determined to keep the F150 the number one truck sold so I know that whatever it takes to beat the competion they will do. I don't think the lack of horsepower/torque will be an issue in the near future. We are also extremely focused on the quality of all our vehicles so with that in mind it takes time to beat the engines,trans and all the other components until we are sure they will take whatever you guys dish out.

Quick Reply: Is the hurricane coming?