What do i need to beat a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you ran a 16.2 and were only a length and a 1/2 behind a "lightly modded blown Harley" then just be thankful you happened to race a very slow Harley. Thats nothing against your truck, but a stock Harley should run mid to low 14s, and "lightly modded" in Lightning/Harley world means a whole bunch more power than stock, so that should be a 13 sec. truck.... Wanna keep up, get a blower. You could Neal's route, but in all honesty as cool as his truck is if you just want to go fast you could spend half as much on modding a Lightning and go a lot faster more reliably. Thats not a knock against Neal or the path he has chosen, he has a kick*** setup, but facts is facts. Chosing to make power n/a is an expensive and ultimately limited route to go. All depends on your ultimate power goals and how you want to go about getting there.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
I think you did that on purpose Patrick.
i would never

Old 12-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by InstantGrits
Haha, my truck will smoke you by any distance I want to....If you actuallt believe you can beat a blown 5.4 with a lightly modded 4.6 OR 5.4 you are dreaming........or lying..........

power to weight... everyone knows the harleys are pigs

Old 12-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by 01Roush
If you ran a 16.2 and were only a length and a 1/2 behind a "lightly modded blown Harley" then just be thankful you happened to race a very slow Harley. Thats nothing against your truck, but a stock Harley should run mid to low 14s, and "lightly modded" in Lightning/Harley world means a whole bunch more power than stock, so that should be a 13 sec. truck.... Wanna keep up, get a blower. You could Neal's route, but in all honesty as cool as his truck is if you just want to go fast you could spend half as much on modding a Lightning and go a lot faster more reliably. Thats not a knock against Neal or the path he has chosen, he has a kick*** setup, but facts is facts. Chosing to make power n/a is an expensive and ultimately limited route to go. All depends on your ultimate power goals and how you want to go about getting there.
lots of N/a power+ boost= nasty fast

Old 12-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Faster150
power to weight... everyone knows the harleys are pigs
Load another Bowl................

In reference to post #33

Last edited by Dbl G; 12-29-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
well don't keep it all 2 yourself..:o

Old 12-28-2006, 10:26 PM
ya i have a few bolt ons and i run like 14s

Old 12-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what kind of truck? full size

Old 12-28-2006, 11:00 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Stay N/a

just get some
stage 3 heads,
long tube headers
underdrive pulleys
30# injectors and an 85mm MAF
comp cams (102200 or 102500) or competitors equivelant camshaft.
a decent fuel pump

you'll whoop that H-D with ease if he's still mostly stock and you'll still look "stock" except for the headers... talk about a nice sleeper, LOL

just my $0.02

Old 12-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Talking

Just do like I do Race Dodge Neons, and Cavy's , V6 camaros, they all think there **** is fast, just hurt their feelings.... Oh and I am bagged so instead of turning on my hazards I drag a little frame rail.....MUCHO SPARKS

Old 12-29-2006, 01:55 AM
Take that worthless spacer you ordered and put it to good use. Drill and tap for NOS nossels. Then give it a 100-150hp shot. That should keep you in the runnings with at stock Harley 150... You mentioned the competition's truck was "lightly modified." In that case, you might want to go for a 200hp shot. Good luck...and I hope your engine/tranny holds up to the stress.

Otherwise, just get over it. He's running a boost setup, you are not. If you want to keep up, then get a supercharger or turbocharger. It's really that simple, although not cheap.

Can an N/A truck keep up with a boosted truck...depends on the setup, but if both are optimized, hell no. I saw several mentions of Neal's truck which is currently N/A and making awesome power, even on seven cylinders ...what no one mentioned is that Neal originally said he bought cams and set his compression ratio to run a turbo setup!

Do you think Neal's truck will make less power after the turbo is added? I don't think so.

Neal, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. I don't mean to speak in your place or about your machine without consent.

Later,
Mike

Old 12-29-2006, 04:28 AM
wow, never knew it would get this big. so basically im SOL. i guess i'll do a programmer and the fans. and call it a rap for my truck. i used to work at Turbo Performance so i could always slap on a turbo on the thing. but for the time and money. i guess i'll trade it in for the New Roush F-150 or a used lightning. i knew i should have bought a diesel

Old 12-29-2006, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Buck50
wow, never knew it would get this big. so basically im SOL. i guess i'll do a programmer and the fans. and call it a rap for my truck. i used to work at Turbo Performance so i could always slap on a turbo on the thing. but for the time and money. i guess i'll trade it in for the New Roush F-150 or a used lightning. i knew i should have bought a diesel

your better off with what u got if u want to boost it.. power strokes yes are easy to get power out of but the new 6.0L are POS! and dont hold up for crap the roush is so friggin heavy its cheaper to spent 4-5K on a custom turbo kit for ur truck and get 80-100 hp out of it than sell what u got for something heavier and spend another10,000 and have it be slower

Old 12-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Faster150
your better off with what u got if u want to boost it.. power strokes yes are easy to get power out of but the new 6.0L are POS!
HI!... Well my buddies 6.0L seems to be doing well. With less than $2500(CAN) he dynoed at 658RWH.P and 1167RWTQ. He's been running like that for over a year now, with no problems. This in a F-250 reg-cab, long-box, 6-speed, 4x4.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrainey889
Take that worthless spacer you ordered and put it to good use. Drill and tap for NOS nossels. Then give it a 100-150hp shot. That should keep you in the runnings with at stock Harley 150... You mentioned the competition's truck was "lightly modified." In that case, you might want to go for a 200hp shot. Good luck...and I hope your engine/tranny holds up to the stress.

Otherwise, just get over it. He's running a boost setup, you are not. If you want to keep up, then get a supercharger or turbocharger. It's really that simple, although not cheap.

Can an N/A truck keep up with a boosted truck...depends on the setup, but if both are optimized, hell no. I saw several mentions of Neal's truck which is currently N/A and making awesome power, even on seven cylinders ...what no one mentioned is that Neal originally said he bought cams and set his compression ratio to run a turbo setup!

Do you think Neal's truck will make less power after the turbo is added? I don't think so.

Neal, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. I don't mean to speak in your place or about your machine without consent.

Later,
Mike

HI!... No problem. Yes my 5.4 is only 8.42:1 compression and has custom ground turbo grind specific cams in it and makes good power. 354RWH.P/392RWTQ. If I were to build it for total N/A operation and go say 11.0:1 compression and change the cams, you could easily get 400RWH.P and 450RWTQ from it.

Quick Reply: What do i need to beat a Harley