cruise control doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad I found this thread and bringing it back from the dead. I'm in the same boat as those before me. Recently bought an '02 SCrew 4x4 with no lights on the steering wheel for the cruise control which doesn't even work but the horn does.

Guess I will check back in when I find out what's wrong with it. First I will check the #5 fuse, and then to see if the previous owner did the recall or not. If they did do the recall then I will run the system check and see how many flashes I get. If the recall has not been done I suppose I should call up my local Ford dealership and see what they can do for me. Or should I do like another guy did and just buy one from the internet?

that sounds like a good starting point at least.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:41 PM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
You can enter your VIN online and see if there are any outstanding recalls.

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...e/recalls.html

Here's the switch and harness kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-SW.../dp/B000IYLZDO

Old 12-17-2020, 01:17 PM
so i have a 2000 F150 4.6 XLT 4x4. did the self test, got 2 flashes after test was complete. i replaced the BPP. i ran the test again, and passed the test but i only have 1 flash at the end of the test now. what does one flash at the end of the test mean? my cruise still doesn't work.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:00 PM
glc
1 flash means the static test passed. Now go to the next step:

Immediately (.25 second delay) after the static test, the speed control servo does a dynamic test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns to the idle position.

Old 04-20-2021, 03:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just found this thread on search. My cruise stopped working and the information here was just what I needed to diagnose it. My pressure switch had gone bad. It also blew the 2A fuse in the recall harness. I got an aftermarket switch with adapter from one of the parts stores that begin with "A". It looks just like the Amazon Motorcraft one.
It all works good now, but I wanted to post this warning.

Warning: The harness that comes with a new switch doesn't have an inline fuse and is not made of fuseable link wire. There is still a fire risk if the switch were to leak and short to ground. The redesigned switch is less like to short to ground that the original, so it still is safer.
But if you leave the recall harness in place between the new harness and the truck wire harness, you will still have that added margin of safety.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-20-2021, 06:45 PM
glc
That assumes the fuse in the recall harness isn't blown. The odds of a new SW-6350 leaking are almost nil.

Old 10-23-2021, 04:02 PM
Cruise

I ran the self test and it blinked three times, how do I replace the deactivation switch? I tried before but it was like it was glued in and it wouldn't come out. Any tips?

Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Check fuses: Under dash Fuses F5, F13, & F15. Check continuity of cruise deactivator switch and the add-on harness installed per recent recall.

You have an 01 that has a built-in self test. Run it:

If you get a flash code, post it.

Steve

Old 10-23-2021, 06:18 PM
glc
It's just screwed in to the master cylinder. If you don't have a 6 point box wrench or deep well socket and breaker bar, try vise grips.

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-23-2021, 06:43 PM
Thank you so much it made the cruise work again. Quick and simple. Thank you for the help.

Quick Reply: cruise control doesnt work