cruise control doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Cruise control

I did the self test and the cruise light blinked once after I pushed each button in the sequence. I checked the fuse in the harness and it is good. the number 5 fuse was blown under the hood so I replaced it but still nothing. when I am driving at speed and press the cruise ON button, then press set, the cruise light comes on but I still don't have cruise. any ideas?

Old 12-05-2013, 02:31 PM
what is a Jumper?

Hello new to the site and Im having the same problems with my 02 F-150 xlt supercrew. I did the self test and it had 2 flashes afterwords. My next question is what is a jumper on an automatic trans? where do I find it at?

Update: I was looking at my truck and found they had put that harness in to keep the truck from catching on fire, well I checked the fuse and it was blown. So I replaced it and ran the self test again. This time after the test this time it did NOT flash at all, But the CC is not working? Any ideas on what else it could be? Also my Horn doesn't work, idk if that has anything to do with it?

Last edited by Tater89; 12-05-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
If the fuse in the harness was blown, the switch is defective.

Replace the whole thing (switch/harness).

Old 12-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
If the fuse in the harness was blown, the switch is defective.

Replace the whole thing (switch/harness).
I believe the reason it was blown was bc it was covered in oil. The truck had a bad oil leak from the valve covers and caused it to get soaked. I replaced the fuse and drove it all day and the fuse never blew...
I read somewhere since my horn doesn't it work it could be the clock spring? Do you think this could be it?

Old 12-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the lights in the steering wheel don't work it could possibly be the clock spring.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by JCR 56
If the lights in the steering wheel don't work it could possibly be the clock spring.
There are no lights on the steering wheel. I just got the truck about a week ago. I didn't even know there was suppose to be lights. This seems like it is my problem. Thanks

Old 12-06-2013, 11:31 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
There are lights in the cruise buttons on the wheel.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
I just got the truck about a week ago.

You better check and see if the clockspring is even connected.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
You better check and see if the clockspring is even connected.
I searched but couldn't find any info on how to check clockspring? Just take the front of the steering wheel off?

Old 12-09-2013, 01:32 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
If you "just take the front of the steering wheel off" you will get an airbag in your face. I'd recommend you get a repair manual if you are going to do your own work.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Cruise control

This might seem silly, but check under the air intake cover to make sure the cruise control cable is still hooked up right next to the throttle cable. I was making myself crazy trying to figure out why my cruise wouldn't work. I had to remove the top radiator hose which included removing the air intake tube and top cover. After all the self test and fuses checked I couldn't believe it was just the cable.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by glc
If you "just take the front of the steering wheel off" you will get an airbag in your face. I'd recommend you get a repair manual if you are going to do your own work.
I have the manual I was just asking to see if there was already a thread on here giving any extra tips...

Old 03-11-2014, 01:19 AM
ProjectSHO89 / Steve!

I came across your comments in this thread by chance, and it was very helpful, thank you! My cruise control quit several years ago and I never figured out why and wasn't about to take it to the shop.

From the looks of it, the switch on the right side must be bad, because when I get to that part of the diagnostic, nothing happens. None of the buttons cause a flash of the lamp.

So thanks for posting that... it was a big help and something I never would have tried. You might just help prevent me from getting another speeding ticket. LOL

Old 08-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Cruise Control

HI,,UK Truck owner. Just bought my 2000 Supercrew with CC not working. Nothing happens when I press Cruise on while driving. Ran the self Diagnostic test and got 2flashes. Checked the Master cylinder switch and it was open circuit. Now have it replaced but still nothing working.

Are you guys talking about the brake pedal switch showing always on? Wouldnt that mean your brake lights were always lit too??

Any help would be good.

Cheers

Old 08-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Hi,CC problems, my cruise control is working sporadically usually it wont engage but sometimes out of the blue it works. I changed the deactivator switch on the Master Cylinder there was no improvement. When it was working one time I checked to see if I turned it off would it turn back on?Well it did not turn back on which made me suspect the "On" button.

I then performed the Self Test and it performed every task as it should have with no extra light flashes and the cable pull test ran smoothly. Well the next day I drove the truck and as usual no cruise control so when I got home I tried the self test again this time I pressed the "off" button while I turned the key on and the cruse light came on, I immediately pushed the "on" button, but this time nothing happened? does this indicate I have a bad "on" switch? If there is a way to test this I'd appreciate learning the procedure as I plan on changing the On/Off switch, but I'd rather not waste the $80 or $90 if I'm wrong.

Thanks Pete

Quick Reply: cruise control doesnt work