cruise control doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am excited that you can self test this stuff! I just did this for my 2002 7700. I just bought this truck and assumed it was something to do with the trailer brake unit installed. All of the brake lights work fine. Checked all my fuses.

The self test result was 3 flashes after pressing the final Set/Accel switch. Could this have something to do with the recall? Was it the deactivation switch? Any tips or places to start with this would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
James

Old 12-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Well I am glad this all happened. Looked at the switch and there is brake fluid seeping out of it and into the connection. It looks like something was done previously (there are tie straps and looks like an in-line fuse installed). Just thought I would update.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:30 PM
The fuse is fine and all of the wiring looks good. I was hoping that would have been problem solved. Called the dealership to check for outstanding recalls. This one was done in 05, hence the in-line fuse installed. Any ideas?

Old 12-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by James92
The fuse is fine and all of the wiring looks good. I was hoping that would have been problem solved. Called the dealership to check for outstanding recalls. This one was done in 05, hence the in-line fuse installed. Any ideas?
Replace the switch and harness and move on.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:34 PM
I have a switch coming in tomorrow morning. Parts guy said he couldn't get a harness? It's a start and hopefully the solution.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:37 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Old 12-10-2015, 08:26 PM
Wow... I would have much rather replaced the harness with it. I even gave him the part number off of mine to check and he said it's not there. My 7700 confuses the system sometimes being a crossbreed f150-f250? That's cheaper than I will be paying for just the sensor haha. I will see what they say tomorrow when I give him SW-6350. Thanks!

Old 12-11-2015, 08:44 PM
I picked up the replacement today. Turns out is was the SW-6350. Not sure why he didn't know about the harness. Very easy install! I did a quick self test, then a test drive. Everything is working fine now. Thanks for the help!

Old 05-06-2016, 12:09 AM
cruise control doesn't work neither do auto door locks

I read several of the posts here and looking for best advise from the pros!! I first noticed my automatic locks not quickly locking when I start off in my '03 F150 SC, and now they don't "auto lock" at all and I'm suspecting that might be related to why my cruise control has stopped as well. A month ago, my cruise started arbitrarily disengaging while on the freeway and now won't engage at all. I saw SHO89's diag steps and followed them tonight. Holding the "Off", ebrake engaged and key "ON", I get the first blink, I push "On" and get another blink, after that on the other three buttons, I get "no blinks" at all. I've never had problems with this black beauty except for the OH console resistor which you great folks helped me fix last summer and it's still working great. Hoping I can get a good plan of attack here and get my cruise control back! I've never had to replace a brake pedal switch or a master cylinder switch, but I've built more small block Ford engines than I can count, being a 62 year old shade tree from the muscle car days!

Old 05-06-2016, 06:55 AM
G'dog,

1. Does the horn blow normally when the center pad in the steering wheel is pressed?

2. Press the speed control ON plus the COAST button. Does the horn blow?

3. Repeat for the ON plus the SET/RESUME buttons.

4. Report results.

The power door lock issue is separate. Either find or start a new separate thread for that problem.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:59 PM
cruise control doesn't work neither do auto door locks

Originally Posted by projectSHO89
G'dog,

1. Does the horn blow normally when the center pad in the steering wheel is pressed?

2. Press the speed control ON plus the COAST button. Does the horn blow?

3. Repeat for the ON plus the SET/RESUME buttons.

4. Report results.

The power door lock issue is separate. Either find or start a new separate thread for that problem.
Thanks for the quick reply projectSHO89! your answers:
1. yes, loud and clear
2 and 3. no, tried in key on position, tried key off, tried with engine running.
Horn does not blow with any of the ON plus combinations.
BTW, since I'm about to roll over 200k, I went ahead and replaced the switch on the MC for $20...didn't help.
Also tried your self test for the cruise again. I get 1 light when I start, one light when I press ON, but no lights when I press set, resume or coast. many thanks...
Next steps?

Old 05-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Further troubleshooting is needed but I'd suspect it's either the clockspring or the switch assembly.

I'll cook something up tomorrow for you.

Do you have a multimeter and are you comfortable and competent to SAFELY remove the airbag?

Old 05-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Further troubleshooting is needed but I'd suspect it's either the clockspring or the switch assembly.

Do you have a multimeter and are you comfortable and competent to SAFELY remove the airbag?
I'm an old shade tree from the 70's; built my first Mustang engine on the floor of my mom and dad's garage! Yes I have a good multimeter; I've never messed with an airbag, but with my background, I am willing to carefully tackle almost anything. My wife and I have refurbished 5 homes in 7 years as a sideline hobby...the only thing I'm not comfortable with in a house is HVAC...just to give you a glimpse of my background.
I've built show car engines, even torn them down the night before a show; my daily driver is my black '03 F150 and my current joy in the garage is my '08 vapor/blk striped "Elleanor" Shelby GT500 with 21k miles...I've owned 5 Mustangs including an '89 GT conv., too. Thanks a ton for the assist...

Old 05-07-2016, 11:31 AM
cruise control doesn't work

BTW, watched some Youtubes about changing out the clock spring last night. I don't have any problems with an air bag light, but I suppose that doesn't mean it couldn't affect the cruise controls on the steering wheel. Interesting to me is the self test doesn't report a blinking light except for the left side OFF/ON, none of the right side controls produce a blinking light during self test. Thanks again.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:22 PM
cruise control doesn't work

And, simply doing nothing, my cruise worked for 3-4 days and quit coming home from work tonight, light would not come on, on dash. Would seem obvious that a fuse is not the issue, so maybe the clockspring or the CC steering wheel controls? How to test? TIA to all for any help

Quick Reply: cruise control doesnt work