Is 4.6L Superior to 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 12:26 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
4.6 puts out better numbers then the 5.4 does. The 4.6 has been around alot longer (compared to the 2v and 3v as different engines) and i think the 4.6 went "triton" before the 5.4 did too. Dunno to me 4.6 has done everything ive wanted it to, including beating an 01 5.4, a chev 4.8 and 4.3, and hung with a hemi 2500. To me 5.4 should be for the work truck fleet lines, and and a more rare option on all the other regular trucks
-Patrick

Old 12-07-2006, 01:03 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
4.6 puts out better numbers then the 5.4 does. The 4.6 has been around alot longer (compared to the 2v and 3v as different engines) and i think the 4.6 went "triton" before the 5.4 did too. Dunno to me 4.6 has done everything ive wanted it to, including beating an 01 5.4, a chev 4.8 and 4.3, and hung with a hemi 2500. To me 5.4 should be for the work truck fleet lines, and and a more rare option on all the other regular trucks
-Patrick

They been around in the Mustangs and Crown Vics , your 4six is has a truck intake - different design.

You don't know what your missing Patrick- You must have out moded the 5.4 because there's no other way lol. Or the guy you raced didn't facilitate the 5.4's assets lol
MOD for MOD the 4.6 can't come even come close. Out of the hole you would lose 3 truck lengths from start, you don't have the torque all your powers in the upper RPM's.

Last edited by jbrew; 12-07-2006 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:11 AM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I know is I beat a Grand Am. Sucker trying to get ahead of me from a stop so he wouldnt have to merge over behind me. Showed him. 70 mph FTW, Traffic Ticket for the loss...

Old 12-07-2006, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
All I know is I beat a Grand Am. Sucker trying to get ahead of me from a stop so he wouldnt have to merge over behind me. Showed him. 70 mph FTW, Traffic Ticket for the loss...

Old 12-07-2006, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, having had both, with an open choice choice, it would be a worked over 4.6 before a stock 5.4. The next time my 4.6 comes out, it's getting a modular 5.0 from DSS Racing.

If I were to do it all over again, for my personal daily driver, it would still be a 4.6, but a 2001-2003 model (factory PI), with a ported intake, mildly ported heads, custom cams, 75mm TB, all forged internals, #30 injectors, long-tube headers, true duals with high-flow cats, e-fans, a prepped tranny, 2500RPM stall TC, and a dyno tune.

And, after I break it in good, a Kenne Bell with another dyno tune and yet bigger injectors and a bigger MAF.

I would 10x rather build it myself with all top-shelf parts that I KNOW can handle a rough life than do a Lightning swap, or what not.

For a little money and a little time, you have a truck that will absolutely rip the ***** off of any stock 5.4, hemi, etc. and still last a LOOOOONG time.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by tritonpwr
Personally, having had both, with an open choice choice, it would be a worked over 4.6 before a stock 5.4. The next time my 4.6 comes out, it's getting a modular 5.0 from DSS Racing.

If I were to do it all over again, for my personal daily driver, it would still be a 4.6, but a 2001-2003 model (factory PI), with a ported intake, mildly ported heads, custom cams, 75mm TB, all forged internals, #30 injectors, long-tube headers, true duals with high-flow cats, e-fans, a prepped tranny, 2500RPM stall TC, and a dyno tune.

And, after I break it in good, a Kenne Bell with another dyno tune and yet bigger injectors and a bigger MAF.

I would 10x rather build it myself with all top-shelf parts that I KNOW can handle a rough life than do a Lightning swap, or what not.

For a little money and a little time, you have a truck that will absolutely rip the ***** off of any stock 5.4, hemi, etc. and still last a LOOOOONG time.

Keep in mind he said stock 5.4L -

Why waste all that on a 4six - there's less that 100lbs difference in a 5.4 and you would get so much more bottom end and you could actually use the truck as a truck with all those mods.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:30 AM

Hey!! The 4.6 is a good motor , just havin fun

Old 12-07-2006, 03:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seems the 4.6 has less problems. i always wondered why the 5.4 isnt in the police cruisers. same mileage basically.cruisers get worked just as hard as our trucks if not more.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:13 AM
they probly get it worse but more and more places starting to use the 5.4 exployer we got one now

Old 12-07-2006, 03:26 AM
Jbrew....
Well, stock 4.6 vs. stock 5.4, the 5.4's gonna win. There's no question about that! LOL There's no replacement for displacement! So ya know the 4.6 is going to need to be breathed on a little!

All things being equal, with the same mods, I like the 4.6 a little better because of it's shorter stroke. It winds up a little quicker. And with the shorter stroke, it's easier to get away with a s^^ty hone job. LOL Plus, the 4.6 has a rather high rod ratio 1.67 vs the 5.4's slightly worse 1.59 (same as the V10 too, well, there is 1/10000th difference I think). That doesn't sound like much, but when it comes to rod ratios, it doesn't take much at all to make a pretty big difference! Plus, the higher rod length of the 5.4 leads to higher reciprocating mass and thusly, higher inertial loading. Theoretically, all things being equal, a lower rod ratio and longer rod will lead to a shorter service life.

You run into the same thing with strokers in the old push-rod motors. A 427 is going to make more hp and tq than a 351, but the 351 has a little better "red-line-rush".

Please don't misunderstand me! I am NOT saying either motor is better than the other! For rod ratios and weights to really make much of a difference, you really need to run them at high RPM's, which, in trucks, we DON'T! Well, MOST of you don't! LOL!

To be honest, the biggest reason I chose to stay 4.6 is because I already had one!!! LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Buuuuuuut, the race truck I'm building is gonna be a 5.4, a 5.4 DOHC, but it's still a 5.4. I could have just as easily started with a 4.6 DOHC. The biggest reason I went 5.4 is because I love the way the 5.4 DOHC in my 02 Gator feels, runs, pulls, and sounds! Plus, most of the super fast guys (6sec 1/4's) that run mods are running 5.4 DOHC's.

Anyway, that should say _something_ about my personal choice. I am soaking damn near 20k in what is essentially a 5.4 long block! That would be an awful lot of cash to pour in a motor if I didn't like it!

I CANNOT tell you how EXCITED I am about it! I mean, I've been racing for decades, and I've owned A LOT of fast cars! I was nowhere nears as excited when I built my current race car, an honest 8 second Mustang, or even when I got my NHRA competition license in it. Building this truck is something I have wanted to do since my buddy bought is 97, back in 97. So it's been nearly a 10 year want. Ever since I saw that body style I knew it would make a completely wicked race truck!

I figure I'll have somewhere between 40 and 50k in the truck when it hits the track next season. I really hope I can still get it inspected, I want to drive it on the street SOOOOO BAAAAAD! I know it won't be "legal", but they don't look too closely around here. hehe The thing I am worried about is how close they might look when they see the damn near 20" wide ET Streets on the back!

Old 12-07-2006, 03:31 AM
Somebody needs to get their s^^t together and build a fiberglass lift-off front end for these trucks! I would be all over that! I think Neal (project F150 Slimfast) would be too!

Old 12-07-2006, 03:39 AM

Triton!!

An awesome want , hell, I would love to do that . You better post the build here!! That would be great to see as you build it - like Neal & now fasterf150is doing as well , that's awesome wathchin you guys build them up..

Old 12-07-2006, 04:39 AM
I've thought about it. The only thing is that most of the build I am having done, rather than doing. I stay pretty busy trying to run a couple businesses. When your time is worth more money than it costs to pay someone else to do it, that's what you do.

The motor is at the builder right now. I am sure I will have lots of pics when it comes back complete though. The truck is at a body shop in a city close to here (Burkbernett) having a custom 4 link, rollcage, tubs, and paint done. Me and a buddy of mine that owns an exhaust shop are going to install the motor and do the turbo install, so I might get some pics of that as we go.

I dunno if you have ever tried to snap pics and make notations while you do a build, but it's kind of hard. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I am in something, I am IN IT. I flat forget to take the pics as I go. I'll give it a shot though.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by tritonpwr
I've thought about it. The only thing is that most of the build I am having done, rather than doing. I stay pretty busy trying to run a couple businesses. When your time is worth more money than it costs to pay someone else to do it, that's what you do.

The motor is at the builder right now. I am sure I will have lots of pics when it comes back complete though. The truck is at a body shop in a city close to here (Burkbernett) having a custom 4 link, rollcage, tubs, and paint done. Me and a buddy of mine that owns an exhaust shop are going to install the motor and do the turbo install, so I might get some pics of that as we go.

I dunno if you have ever tried to snap pics and make notations while you do a build, but it's kind of hard. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I am in something, I am IN IT. I flat forget to take the pics as I go. I'll give it a shot though.

Yeahh was just talkin to someone about that over in transmissions yesterday - It's either you get to involed with what your doin or hands are to mucked up to touch the camera lol.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I dont have time to argue more right now, but i meant better numbers per displacement. meaning more ponies per Cubic inch. And yes we ran two or three times, and yes he had a good jump on me with more torque, but i easily closed the gap with my faster building midrange and top range. All races were from punches where 1st gear could still be used. But if you sooooo confident there is no way i can keep up with your 5.4 come pay me a visit Ill straighten your thoughts out on the 4.6
-Patrick

Quick Reply: Is 4.6L Superior to 5.4L