First time oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time oil change

I have a '05, FX4, 5.4 Triton, now with 5,000 miles. I'd like to change the oil but I'll be darned if I can find where the oil filter is located on the engine.

Thanks.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:24 AM
I have a 1997 F-150 and when I went to do my first oil change I had the same problem. So I busted out the manual and sure enough it said it was on the passenger side of the motor. So I got back down there and looked around and no oil filter. So I started just crawled all over the place and finally found it. Look right behind the front bumper on the driver side that is where I found mine. Good luck!!!

Old 07-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by rustyzipper
I have a '05, FX4, 5.4 Triton, now with 5,000 miles. I'd like to change the oil but I'll be darned if I can find where the oil filter is located on the engine.

Thanks.
As you are looking down into the engine bay standing in front of the radiator, look slightly to the right and down at the bottom of the block and you will see it. Also, better eat your Wheaties cause that sucker will be a pain in the ars to get off. For some reason the filter that was put on at the factory was torqued to high heaven. Just FYI

Old 07-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Suspended
for the first time, i'd take it somewhere and tell them to do it, then you don't have to deal with the real tight filter

Old 07-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Also, make sure the filter gasket comes off with the filter. Its a big mess if you put the new filter on with the old gasket still on as well!! Life's Lessons Learned!!

Old 07-01-2006, 06:36 PM
i just changed my oil on my new '06 yesterday evening...about the filter placement, i'm glad it is up and out of the way, but it sure is hard to access...about the overtightened factory filter--this should be a crime!

my neighbor came by dragging a soaker hose as i was lying under the front end trying to figure out my method of attack, and since he drives a ford, i asked him if his filter was so hard to get to...long story short, he went and got another tap-on filter wrench with a smaller handle and an assortment of cheater bars...after thoroughly skinning the back of my hand on the plastic fan shroud and fan blades i finally managed to turn it a bit...

my neighbor calmly and seriously commented, "the engineers who design these things ought to have to do the first oil change"

usually, i take comments like that with a grain of salt, but i have to agree that something needs to give here...if it's going to be located in this position, ford ought to not torque the things on so tight...it's always hard getting the factory filter off any car, but when it's in a place with very little room for wrench handle and even less room for hands, it's a problem

...now that it's off my chest, i have to say i'm thoroughly impressed with the pickup except for this!

Old 07-02-2006, 04:53 AM
Yeah, well I had to help my mechanically disabled bitch of an acquaintance change the oil on his Acura RSX for the first time (It was brand new) and I felt relieved to own a ford. Because Honda mounts there filters in spots where they can also hide a hidden camera to watch you back at Headquarters and laugh there asses off as you try to fit your arm down behind the strut bar while squeezing the hell out of a filter wrench to get the little ****er off. Needless to say, being the American-truck driving man I am I got it off. But still, I was happy to go home and change my oil in the conveniently located filter behind the front bumper. GO FORD. And yeah, the first oil change on your '05s and '06s may be difficult, but that's just the price you'll have to pay to join the ford owners club, you definitely made the right choice

Trending Topics

Old 07-03-2006, 08:47 AM
That is why I am glad my filter is right behind the front bumper. I don't need a jack just a wrench for the oil pan bolt and spin off the filer and re-fill it in less than 20 minutes. It is a 1997 F-150 4X4 and when I change the oil in my wife's 300m it takes a little longer but not to much looks like Chrysler atleast gives it a shot at making it easier for us do it yourselfers less pain and suffering.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Thank you for the heads up, advice concerning the factory torqued filter. If in fact the filter will not budge easily I will indeed be taking the truck to the dealership. As the word implies, they can "deal" with it.

Thanks again all.

Quick Reply: First time oil change