What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Well, that answers that question lol, you must have done some serious searching to find that one. So you have a combo sensor lol - it does both!!

That makes sense, what there saying in a nutshell is that your cylinder head sensor through the PCM denominates coolant temp mathematically. Makes sense to me.
It actually says that the input from the CHT is run through TWO resisters on the PCM to get the readings instead of computing it. Im glad you kept asking questions afterward jbrew or I would have just accepted that it was the ECT that I found.

Makes me wan't to spend the money for a Ford service manual.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:44 PM
My 5.4 made June 99' is just like temp1. Except the hose comes out the very top of that part.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:48 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I capped off the PCV port on the Throttle body and bypassed those coolant lines going to the PCV line. It gets hot enough in the engine bay that I don't need any more heat to thin out the air going into the engine.

JMC

Old 04-10-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JMC
I capped off the PCV port on the Throttle body and bypassed those coolant lines going to the PCV line. It gets hot enough in the engine bay that I don't need any more heat to thin out the air going into the engine.

JMC

I can't make out what the red line is hooked too - is that after market (a kit) ??

Old 04-10-2006, 03:07 PM
JMC

The red line is a hose that I use in place of the PCV line. It is plumbed into an oil seperator/filter from an air compressor. What it does is collect the oil from the PCV system and heeps it out of the combustion chamber.

JMC

Old 04-10-2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by JMC
The red line is a hose that I use in place of the PCV line. It is plumbed into an oil seperator/filter from an air compressor. What it does is collect the oil from the PCV system and heeps it out of the combustion chamber.

JMC
LOL , I new that looked familiar - I have a couple of Milton Mini's (Separators) that aren't being used at the moment. How does that affect your performance ? Or does it just keep things cleaner internally. Pardon my ignorance here, always looking to better my 5.4.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:53 PM
JMC

The stock PCV systems allows oil to enter the intake manifold and it gets burned in the engine. The system is supposed to keep the oil from entering the engine. less oil burned equals more power. At least in theory.

JMC

Old 04-10-2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by JMC
The stock PCV systems allows oil to enter the intake manifold and it gets burned in the engine. The system is supposed to keep the oil from entering the engine. less oil burned equals more power. At least in theory.

JMC
Thanks JMC, I'm thinking about giving that a try.. ( :

Old 12-24-2016, 02:24 AM
This is the only place I have found that has a picture of the "what is it" that I have spent hours trying to research. There is a tube that goes out of the side of this "hex nut" that contains coolant. It runs by hose to a 'T' back by the firewall. The nut's tube has sprang a leak. I took my truck to a Ford dealership and had them look at it. They don't know what it is and could not find a part that matched it. Right now I have the Hex nut (3/4 in drive with pipe like threads on the bottom and coolant tube at a 90 degree angle (which broke) plugged and the hose going to it plugged. The truck runs fine and temp gauge shows normal. The plus side is my heater works now without having to get it to 3000 RPM. Just for the groups information, I am NOT a mechanic just a cheap DIY guy. Anyone have a part number and/or name of this piece? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:26 AM
Sorry, 1999 Ford F150 Triton V8 5.4 engine

Old 12-25-2016, 07:31 PM
JMC

Don' have a part number but if yours is plugged and not leaking keep it that way. The only place you will find one now is a scrap yrd.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:21 AM
Thank you! I put a plug in with pipe tape and sealed off the hose with pipe tape and a bolt. In the off chance I find one, I will replace it, but all seems well so far!

Old 01-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Ok maybe I can get some help here. recently changed my plugs ( 04 f 150 4.6) and got rough idle and low rpm. I double and triple checked everything. Was looking to see if the 90° elbow was cracked or damaged and noticed this. attaching pics... any help would be great and do I need to replace it immediately?