What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 12:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by temp1
I looked at the diagram and now heres a picture of that location on my 1999 5.4L engine. (Nothing is there)

I added quite a few exploded views the shows all your sensors in the engine compartment. Haynes, Chilton, ALLData all show the same locations.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?num=10943

Let me know if you can't read them.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, nothing was ever there, the coolant temp indicator sender assembly and/ or pipe plug go nearest to the t-stat housing where that 6 pointed block is, first pic. My question to you is, where was your engine made? I'm pretty sure we made it but your PCV setup is more modern like I said, maybe 02 and newer. The actual temp sensor moved elsewhere, I forget where now and that spot was for the water heated PCV. I'm confused, did you just want to know what this stuff was? If you want to see where things all go, look at diagrams with this setup because like I said, it's changed on yours and I don't know why. Has the dealer f@@@ed with it and changed it?

Old 04-09-2006, 10:11 AM

temp1,

A buddy is stopping over today , he has a 2001 supercrew w/5.4 implant. I'll take some shots of the engine compartment and try to locate that on his motor.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by BLUE20004X4
No, nothing was ever there, the coolant temp indicator sender assembly and/ or pipe plug go nearest to the t-stat housing where that 6 pointed block is, first pic. My question to you is, where was your engine made? I'm pretty sure we made it but your PCV setup is more modern like I said, maybe 02 and newer. The actual temp sensor moved elsewhere, I forget where now and that spot was for the water heated PCV. I'm confused, did you just want to know what this stuff was? If you want to see where things all go, look at diagrams with this setup because like I said, it's changed on yours and I don't know why. Has the dealer f@@@ed with it and changed it?
The sticker on the engine says "Ford windsor Ontario Canada".

Old 04-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Proudly made by us then, thanks for the support- But the PCV has changed somewhere down the line. Did you just want to know what it was and that's it? It's someway of bettering emissions somehow. Not a big deal, but a pain with those clamps eh? I'd change to screw type clamps unless those are fine for you.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Suspended
Ok gang. Here is a picture of something on a 1999 5.4L engine.

What is it?

Well, its to check your alternator fluid, what else would it be for?

Old 04-09-2006, 02:36 PM

I took some picks of 2001 , won't do you any good , plastic manifold. My girlfriends friend stopped by and has 99 4.0 in an explorer , I found the sensor on hers and took a pic of it , but again it's different, all literature that I have on years 1997 thru 2002 with that manifold say that it's in the spot on the diagram in my gallery ..

Sorry , that didn't help , if I come across it I'll let you know..if you want me to upload the pics anyway let me know.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by jbrew
I took some picks of 2001 , won't do you any good , plastic manifold. My girlfriends friend stopped by and has 99 4.0 in an explorer , I found the sensor on hers and took a pic of it , but again it's different, all literature that I have on years 1997 thru 2002 with that manifold say that it's in the spot on the diagram in my gallery ..

Sorry , that didn't help , if I come across it I'll let you know..if you want me to upload the pics anyway let me know.
I did notice a wire going down into the engine valley yesterday so I will make sure that is what I saw. Maybe thats the wire that goes to the coolant temperature sender. That would be a bitch to get charged $500 labor for tearing off the intake manifold just to replace the coolant temperature sender.

Well, I traced the wire down into the engine valley with my hands and felt what I believe is the coolant temperature sending unit. It looks like a socket might make it down there with a universal joint without removing the alternator. Im warming up the truck and will unplug a harness connector that this wire plugs into to verify that it is indeed the temperature sensor.

Thats it! This is the wire that goes to the sending unit (upper right).

And this is the harness connector for the coolant temperature sending unit...

Last edited by temp1; 04-09-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:00 PM

I did notice a wire going down into the engine valley yesterday so I will make sure that is what I saw. Maybe thats the wire that goes to the coolant temperature sender. That would be a bitch to get charged $500 labor for tearing off the intake manifold just to replace the coolant temperature sender.

Well, I traced the wire down into the engine valley with my hands and felt what I believe is the coolant temperature sending unit. It looks like a socket might make it down there with a universal joint without removing the alternator. Im warming up the truck and will unplug a harness connector that this wire plugs into to verify that it is indeed the temperature sensor.
From what I've seen the only wire that goes down there leads to the cylinder head sensor behind the alternator , down a bit and to the right.

Old 04-09-2006, 03:44 PM

From what I've seen the only wire that goes down there leads to the cylinder head sensor behind the alternator , down a bit and to the right.
Thanks brew but the temperature guage stopped working when I unplugged the harness so I know its the coolant temperature sending unit down there.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:26 PM

Thanks brew but the temperature guage stopped working when I unplugged the harness so I know its the coolant temperature sending unit down there.
That's one reason among many why this forum is so great, in all literature and data that I've found as to the location of your TSU, well, there was just nothing there that revealed a alternate location before the plastic polymer intake was incorporated..I couldn't even find the info in the tech. bulletins from the manufacturer (via ALLData.com.) Ford supply's "ALLData.com" with bulletins and updates and makes them accessible to it's members - that one must of slipped through the cracks..

Make sure we are on the same page - There's two sensors in the same proximity of each other(behind the alternator) The coolant temperature sensor, I show anyway, is directly behind the alternator. Just below that is the engine head temperature sensor ( which is down in the V driver-side towards the front of the head and not visible unless you have your alternator off)

Did you find an alternate local of CTS on your motor?

Last edited by jbrew; 04-09-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:07 PM

That's one reason among many why this forum is so great, in all literature and data that I've found as to the location of your TSU, well, there was just nothing there that revealed a alternate location before the plastic polymer intake was incorporated..I couldn't even find the info in the tech. bulletins from the manufacturer (via ALLData.com.) Ford supply's "ALLData.com" with bulletins and updates and makes them accessible to it's members - that one must of slipped through the cracks..

Make sure we are on the same page - There's two sensors in the same proximity of each other(behind the alternator) The coolant temperature sensor, I show anyway, is directly behind the alternator. Just below that is the engine head temperature sensor ( which is down in the V driver-side towards the front of the head and not visible unless you have your alternator off)

Did you find an alternate local of CTS on your motor?
Hmm, do you suppose that they are using the engine head temperature sensor to determine what the coolant temperature is?

I found the CHT sensor in my Haynes manual and thats what it says is at the location that I think is the coolant temperature sending unit. I can only guess at this time that the PCM looks at the CHT and guesses the coolant temperature. Maybe I should drop by the Ford service shop and see what they say.

Last edited by temp1; 04-09-2006 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:42 PM

Well, why do you need both sensors anyway? I'm thinking they just did away with the coolant temp sensor - my 1998 5.4 has both , but 2001 5.4 in the drive right now doesn't have a CTS that I can see - if it does it's not visible.

There are some pics of the 2001 here - there labeled 2001 -

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?num=10939

Old 04-09-2006, 05:48 PM

Well, why do you need both sensors anyway? I'm thinking they just did away with the coolant temp sensor - my 1998 5.4 has both , but 2001 5.4 in the drive right now doesn't have a CTS that I can see - if it does it's not visible.

There are some pics of the 2001 here - there labeled 2001 -

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?num=10939
Check out this link...

QUOTE:

"Remember that this manual covers all Ford products, so the part about not having a ECT sensor doesn’t apply to the Super-Dutys since all three motors include one. All other statements should apply.

“On applications that do not use a ECT sensor, the CHT sensor is used to determine the engine coolant temperature in place of the ECT sensor. In this case the PCM may store both CHT and ECT Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s). To cover the entire temperature range of both the ECT and CHT sensors, the PCM has a dual switching resistor circuit on the CHT input. A chart showing the temperature switching from the cold end line to the hot end line with increasing temperature and back with decreasing temperature is included. Note the temperature to voltage overlap zone. Within this zone it is possible to have either a cold end or hot end voltage at the same temperature. For example at 100 degrees C (212 degrees F) the voltage could read either .46 or 3.41 volts.”

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...o=&fpart=&vc=1

Old 04-09-2006, 06:20 PM

Well, that answers that question lol, you must have done some serious searching to find that one. So you have a combo sensor lol - it does both!!

That makes sense, what there saying in a nutshell is that your cylinder head sensor through the PCM denominates coolant temp mathematically. Makes sense to me.
So maybe that funny looking thing behind your alternator is for your alternator fluid - ya think? lol