Ethanol blended fuels??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ethanol blended fuels??

Hey guys,

I am from Regina, Sk, Canada and work at the Co-op Oil Refinery and Upgrader and we just started to blend our gas at 10% ethanol blend. Now I know that here in Canada Mowhawk has been doing it for years now, not too sure whats been going on states side. Anyway, I was just wondering what anyones thoughts were on the blended gasolines, and if anyone has had any negative or positive affects on their engines so far. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2006, 06:24 PM
I have used ethanol blended fuels in my vehicles since I started driving 15 years ago. Never had a problem with them. In the winter months they help disipate water and keep your fuel lines from freezing. You may or may not notice a slight decrease in milage

Old 02-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Greetings to my neighbor to the north. I live in New York State. For the last year or so, all gas stations must sell 10% Ethanol fuels by law. The State of New Jersey, my neighbor to the west, still sells 100% gasoline fuel. Which in my opinion is a better product at a cheaper price. 25 to 30 cents per gallon cheaper and better because I get between 6 and 9% better MPG with 100% gasoline. I don't enjoy paying 10% more for a product that yeilds 9% less but I got used to it. And I fill up in New Jersey every chance I get.

Old 02-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
NJ has a mandate to use oxygenates.
I live right on the border in Pa. and the no-name gas in NJ is terrible for mileage compaired to a name like GULF in the same town.
Now, as of May 6/06 the federal EPA is lifting this manitory use of ethonal and mtbe for all states but that does not say that the states' own laws won't keep using it.
This mandate was costing about 8 cents additional to make the brew but we know the price won't go down in relation to a removal.
Their use has proven to be of no benifit and MTBE is a pollutant in the ground water.
The extra oxygen causes the ox sensors to richen up the fuel and make fuel mileage worse.
This is a news item this last week.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 02-19-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:15 PM
i've been using the ethanol blend gas (89 octane) in my 3 vehicles for a long time now and have never had a problem with it. here in iowa the ethanol blend is $.10 cheaper than regular and $.20 cheaper than premium

Old 02-20-2006, 07:30 AM
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Spyderrc10gt2
i've been using the ethanol blend gas (89 octane) in my 3 vehicles for a long time now and have never had a problem with it. here in iowa the ethanol blend is $.10 cheaper than regular and $.20 cheaper than premium

How much of that is subsidized by the state's taxpayers?

Steve

Old 02-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Been running 10% blend for many years also, since 1992 or so. never have had a problem. I always figured it was cheaper because it had less "real" gas in it? a gallon of corn fuel for every 10 gallons of "real" fuel. surely there is some savings in there some where.Who knows, Im not a real smart man so Im probally wrong. Also since I live in Corn country I would hope im helping my farmer buddies. Not to mention helping the ozone and relying less on the overseas oil!

I also may be wrong on the helping the ozone comment. I was "just figguring" again thinking burning corn was better for the air than petro?

Last edited by MONGONGO; 02-20-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:56 AM
No driveability issues but less energy content; therefore the previous post of lower fuel economy is correct.

Don't use it in old tractors, chainsaws, lawn mowers, etc. if you can help it. They are often adversely affected.

Old 02-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Old 02-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
All of this works but in the end it costs rather than saves money in most areas of the country except maybe in the corn belt where transpotation costs may be lower.
Ethonal, Methonal and the like has less heat content of combustion, requires more volume to meet the lower air/fuel ratios they require to burn at full power.
For example, Methonal volume requires metering close to two times that of gasoline so you get less than half the mileage from the same tank size.
There is a power benifit in racing engines where mileage is not the over riding concern. This comes about because of the cooling effect of alcohol on the air intake density. The end result is about 5 to 10% gain in power that is not due to the specific heat content of the fuel but it's cooling effect on air density going into the motor.
The IRL engines have been using Meth for many many years as do most Sprint cars. We use it 100% in a 351w Sprint car race engine making over 500 hp.
The only problem is that upper cylinder wear is a factor and the fuel system has to be cleanred out every time the engine is done running for racing.
The emmissions from alky are not all that good either. Ever hear of formaldihide. That's what you funeral director uses on those lucky enough to come see him for the last time.

Quick Reply: Ethanol blended fuels??