Breaking in a New Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breaking in a New Truck?

ok- I am CLUELESS to cars and engines. That being said, I am about to buy a new '06 f-150 4x4 SuperCrew Lariat. The sales guy made a comment on breaking it in right to maximize the performance and MPG. Is this true? Is there any special way I should drive this to 'break it in' properly?

I've never owned a 4x4 before- anything special I need to do on that end?
Thanks

Old 12-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Every time I buy a new truck, someone always tells me to take it easy on the engine until it gets broke in. Usually put 1000-1500 miles on it before putting the pedal to the floor or towing a heavy load. Basically break in the mechanical parts before putting them under a load. And, it'll take about 3000 miles before the computer optimizes your engine for fuel economy and power.
Is it really necessary to break the engine in gently.... perhaps.

For a 4X4, the only extra thing I do is to put it into 4 wheel drive every now and again. Some do it to keeps things lubed... I do it to make sure it still works!

Old 12-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For a 4X4, the only extra thing I do is to put it into 4 wheel drive every now and again. Some do it to keeps things lubed... I do it to make sure it still works!(quote)

just be sure your on dirt...ice...snow..anything but dry pavement while in 4x4...

you need "slippage" or else damage can result

...zap!

Old 12-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by zapster
just be sure your on dirt...ice...snow..anything but dry pavement while in 4x4...

you need "slippage" or else damage can result
Or as long as you drive in a straight line...but you're right, dirt or some such surface would still be better.

Old 12-12-2005, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by AZ_Specter
ok- I am CLUELESS to cars and engines. That being said, I am about to buy a new '06 f-150 4x4 SuperCrew Lariat. The sales guy made a comment on breaking it in right to maximize the performance and MPG. Is this true? Is there any special way I should drive this to 'break it in' properly?

I've never owned a 4x4 before- anything special I need to do on that end?
Thanks

Give it to me. I specialize in this. And since you're also an F150 owner there will be no charge. If everything goes correctly I should be done around Easter!!

Old 12-12-2005, 03:11 AM
Really? I need slippage? Never heard that before. What kind of problems could occur?

Does the truck need to be rolling when I switch it to 4x4, or, stopped/off?
Thanks

Old 12-12-2005, 08:03 AM
When you have it in four wheel drive, all 4 wheels are engaged (obviously). When you drive on pavement, if any of the tires travel less distance than the others (for example, when turning) you can have problems with things binding up, and this can lead to something breaking (usually something expensive).

So, if you drive in a straight line, all the wheels will cover the same distance. But, its still better to get in a dirt parking lot or a trail or something that allows the tires to slip if they dont all travel the same distances.

When engaging 4x4, you can be moving when you engage 4-hi (I believe the manual states you can be going up to 35MPH...you should probably slow down if you are going faster than that) But you can still travel faster than 35 MPH once its engaged.. To engage 4-lo you have to be stopped, with the brake depressed, and in park or neutral.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Officially there is no break-in period. That being said, the owner's manual states (or used to) not to tow for the first 1000 miles, and to vary the throttle often over the first 1000 miles.

There really is no point in babying it... if you've ever seen how they drive them off the line and around the yard, you wouldn't be worried. Long before it reaches you, it's done 60+mph on the chassis dyno at the factory.

-Joe

Old 12-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Drive it fast it will be fast and don't worry.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:32 PM
There really is no "break in" period. They already come broke in. When you go to test drive it. test drive it like your always gonna drive it. make sure she runs good.

Old 12-13-2005, 03:12 AM
There is no official break in, as others have said. However, I think it's prudent that you not tow or do any burnouts the first 500 to 1000 miles. Gear surfaces need to work harden. The longer they have to harden, the better. Generally speaking, they're fully hardened within the first 1000 miles.

If you must tow right away, just take it real easy. Some owners on this board have had to start towing right away and have not had any problems.

Having said all of that, the Triton engines, while not needing any special breaking in, does indeed break in at around 10,000 miles. That's about when you'll notice the engine power increases a little and gas mileage goes up a little too.

Quick Reply: Breaking in a New Truck?