Help with gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with gas

gas prices keeps going up.
Anything I can improve in my 97 expedition besides leaving it at home?

Old 11-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Dominican Republic

Very nice place you have there, been there a few times....

How many km's do you have on your truck? If you keep up with the regular maintance items everything should be fine. Fuel filters, air filters, plugs etc.

Even consider doing a fuel injection flush...

Where do you get your truck serviced down there??? The parts must be expensive too since they will have to be flown or shipped in....

Old 11-30-2005, 10:20 AM
Consider a motorcycle...short term

Gas prices are stabilizing here in the US. They are down back to where they were a year ago. Wait a few months and they will return to normal there too.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:33 AM
Help with gas

umachme,

I take my ford to the ford dealer in Santo Domingo, parts are very expensive thinking in getting parts in ebay. My expy has 90,000 kilometers.

Next time you come back let me know; I will drive you around.

get hold of me at guzmanmarcos@gmail.com or guzman_marcos@yahoo.com. Maintance: Fuel filters, air filters, plugs etc. fine.

about fuel injection flush, i`m a little afraid about doing it.

colorado:
About getting a motorcycle, rains too often...

Old 11-30-2005, 11:51 AM
guzman

Check and see if the Ford dealer in Santo Damingo does the injection flush.

Snapon tools has a system that works well. Also motorcraft uses a system like that too.. If you need some parts i work at at a dealership in Canada and i will email you my address in yahoo....

Old 11-30-2005, 01:48 PM
thanks

Let youknow

Originally Posted by umachme
Check and see if the Ford dealer in Santo Damingo does the injection flush.

Snapon tools has a system that works well. Also motorcraft uses a system like that too.. If you need some parts i work at at a dealership in Canada and i will email you my address in yahoo....

Old 11-30-2005, 02:25 PM
grab a can of sea foam and read the directions... cleans out your engine... wont gain u any mpg just get back some u have lost from carbon build up and everything, if you use syn oil u will gain an ever so slight amount but u will also gain protection for your engine. you could also unplug ur battery, turn your headlights for 5 min to clear your trucks memory. then hook it all back up and the first three trips your truck will learn all the perimaters again. just baby drive it and you will gain a slight amount of mpg also... all that might get you 1 mpg

Trending Topics

Old 11-30-2005, 02:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Driving habits are about the 'best bang for buck' thing you can do to save gas.... You can spend all kinds of $$ on "gas saving devices", but for the amount of money you invested, the ROI will usually take a long time to acheive IMO...

A couple of things I have done that has made a difference are:

Slow down.... I do a lot of straight hwy runs and if I keep it at 60 mph, over a full tank of gas, I've gotten as good as 19 mpg. In the 70 mph speed zones, I keep it at 64 mph and get about the same mpgs... If I go 70, I'm lucky to get 16 mpg....

Plan your "in town" trips so that you make a loop instead of going back and forth. I try to start out at the farthest place I intend to go and work my way back home... Saves time as well....

While driving around in town, don't try to be the first one accross the intersection... Yeah, I know it's fun to do and I've done it when needed, but I'm finding that sucks a bunch of gas, so if you wanna play, you gotta pay!

Don't ride up on the car in front of you in traffic... Sure, it sucks when you leave that one car length and all everyone else does is cut in front of you, but I've found that if you leave that space, you are not having to hit the brakes, give it gas, hit the brakes constently.. If you are stuck in traffic anyway, it's not like you are going anywhere fast anyway....

While running in town, actually turn off OD... Yes, turn it off.... I've found it will engage while going as slow as 40 mph... All you are doing is bogging the engine and that's less effiecient then running a few hundred rpms more.... I really only let it go into OD when I'm going 55 mph or more and I can see that I will be able to maintain that for more then mile or so.

Coast up to stop lights and such. By coast, I mean, just let up on the gas a little sooner and roll up the the stop. No need to to run up on the light, just to jam on the brakes....

Lots of other little things you can do that don't cost a dime, but will make a difference.

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 11-30-2005, 02:44 PM
seafoam?

where can I buy it?

I am in the Caribbean

Originally Posted by racerf150man
grab a can of sea foam and read the directions... cleans out your engine... wont gain u any mpg just get back some u have lost from carbon build up and everything, if you use syn oil u will gain an ever so slight amount but u will also gain protection for your engine. you could also unplug ur battery, turn your headlights for 5 min to clear your trucks memory. then hook it all back up and the first three trips your truck will learn all the perimaters again. just baby drive it and you will gain a slight amount of mpg also... all that might get you 1 mpg

Old 11-30-2005, 05:45 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Change the front O2 sensors. As they age they become less effecient. I change mine at least every 50,000km. I think I am over due as I am writing this.

JMC

Old 11-30-2005, 06:51 PM
o2 sensors

Where are the O2 sensor?
Are they cheap?

Originally Posted by JMC
Change the front O2 sensors. As they age they become less effecient. I change mine at least every 50,000km. I think I am over due as I am writing this.

JMC

Old 11-30-2005, 06:55 PM
ok

I see I am not doing so bad:

I never drive over 60mpg
Always do straight hwy
about town trips, there you got me;will take a look at it.

A couple of things I have done that has made a difference are:

Slow down.... I do a lot of straight hwy runs and if I keep it at 60 mph, over a full tank of gas, I've gotten as good as 19 mpg. In the 70 mph speed zones, I keep it at 64 mph and get about the same mpgs... If I go 70, I'm lucky to get 16 mpg....

Plan your "in town" trips so that you make a loop instead of going back and forth. I try to start out at the farthest place I intend to go and work my way back home... Saves time as well....

While driving around in town, don't try to be the first one accross the intersection... Yeah, I know it's fun to do and I've done it when needed, but I'm finding that sucks a bunch of gas, so if you wanna play, you gotta pay!

Don't ride up on the car in front of you in traffic... Sure, it sucks when you leave that one car length and all everyone else does is cut in front of you, but I've found that if you leave that space, you are not having to hit the brakes, give it gas, hit the brakes constently.. If you are stuck in traffic anyway, it's not like you are going anywhere fast anyway....

While running in town, actually turn off OD... Yes, turn it off.... I've found it will engage while going as slow as 40 mph... All you are doing is bogging the engine and that's less effiecient then running a few hundred rpms more.... I really only let it go into OD when I'm going 55 mph or more and I can see that I will be able to maintain that for more then mile or so.

Coast up to stop lights and such. By coast, I mean, just let up on the gas a little sooner and roll up the the stop. No need to to run up on the light, just to jam on the brakes....

Lots of other little things you can do that don't cost a dime, but will make a difference.

Good luck!

Mitch[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Help with gas