2001, F150, 5.4 liter - Engine Clatter

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001, F150, 5.4 liter - Engine Clatter

I bought a new 2001, F150, 5.4 liter Lariat and after 10-15000 miles it developed a "tapping" in the engine, when I'd let off the accelerator pedal.
In Feb. of 2003, I took it in for a wheel alignment and asked the mechanic about the tapping and he said it was a fairly common problem with F150s and not to worry about it. I've changed the oil myself 6-8 times and have never had any problems with it other than the tapping.

Since then, it has become increasingly annoying so I took it in to a Ford dealership last week and the serviceman said I needed a new engine because a rod was knocking. There was no diagnostic, just a mechanic that listened to the engine and determined that I needed a new motor and then charged me $88.00 for his "service."

Since, I've read about "piston slapping" and chats from other owners of the same vehicle and found that this "engine clatter" thing is a common problem.

Any thoughts from owners that have had the same experience?
Kupe

Old 10-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mechanic could be right on but the $88 should have gotten you a complete engine computer diagnostic along with his opinion. A collapsed lifter will make a constant tapping sound that varies with engine rpm whether accelerating or decelerating and generally does not put any metal in the oil and you can drive a long time with it but you are damaging the cam. A bad wrist pin (holds piston to the rod) will tap harder than a lifter when decelerating and much less on accelerating, generally puts a very small amount of metal in the oil and can be driven a long time but when it does break you will ruin the block. A bad rod bearing starts out tapping but gets worse quickly becoming a loud knock on accelerating and less on decelerating, puts a large amount of metal in the oil and you won't drive it very long at all before it breaks and you ruin the block. What you have described sounds like a wrist pin and to fix it you have to rebuild the motor, get a used motor or get a new one. If you got the extended warranty in 2001 you might still be covered?!@#$! Sorry it happened to you but s#!t happens. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2001, F150, 5.4 liter - Engine Clatter