Can't get the fan off..... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't get the fan off..... Help!

I just got around to installing the pulleys I ordered about a month ago and now I can't get the fan off the pulley....

Who wants to let me in on the trick???

Old 08-26-2005, 07:47 PM
OOh yeah...
2002 4.6 6 rib fan system.....

Old 08-26-2005, 09:11 PM
OK,,,
15 looks and no reply,,, I'll elaborate.

it is one post holding the fan to the water pump pulley and I can't figure out how to turn the fan off and hold the pulley still.. does anyone know of they are R or L hand threads and how to get that thing off????

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!!

TB

Old 08-26-2005, 09:57 PM
There is a special tool. Your local friendly auto parts should have one to rent. Rent it, it's a bitch without the tool.

Old 08-27-2005, 03:34 AM
take a pry bar and tap a corner it come off lefty loose righty tighty.. due to roation of the motor is CCwise. but take a pry bar and a hammer tap the corner to break it loose. then use a adjustable wrench if needed to get the fan the rest of the way off... its not as hard as everyone says

Old 08-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not hard, I've removed the fan on my 5.4 a couple of times and all you need to do is get a lady finger pried under the pulley, put an adjustable on the fan and tap to the left. Easy as pie.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a cheap strap wrench to hold the pulley and turned the fan nut with a pipe wrench. It is normal thread not left hand like some manuals indicate.

Old 08-31-2005, 10:42 PM
They're pretty easy to get off usually without the tool. Just get a wrench that fits the fan nut, put the wrench on the nut at twelve o clock(pointing straight up) and smack straight down on it with a hammer. a couple of times and 9 times out of ten it will come right loose. I work on police crown vics for a living and it works every time on them. Good Luck

Larry

Old 08-31-2005, 10:48 PM
The guy that put my pulleys on used a pneumatic hammer with a tie rod fork ...brrrrp, off it came! Brrrp, it went on!

Old 09-01-2005, 04:03 AM
Originally Posted by lfairchild
They're pretty easy to get off usually without the tool. Just get a wrench that fits the fan nut, put the wrench on the nut at twelve o clock(pointing straight up) and smack straight down on it with a hammer. a couple of times and 9 times out of ten it will come right loose. I work on police crown vics for a living and it works every time on them. Good Luck

Larry

most police crown vics use efans... as a masster of fact most all of fords cars use efans cause it helps smooth idle add power and fuel economy. why do u think most GM's use Efans... most all the new trucks and SUV's now use Efans.. then again GM's has to expands their ways to get ponies out of their pushrod motors without adding boost and keeping compression pump gas friendly

Quick Reply: Can't get the fan off..... Help!