What to do next?? (and a Ford suggestion)........

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do next?? (and a Ford suggestion)........

First off......yes, this is another MPG thread, BUT.......I've taken everything to heart and am going step by step to try & track things for SOLID proof!

So far......

Inflated tires to 38-40 psi
K&N drop-in
Changed driving style. (The egg thing, coasting, 2000rpm, etc. etc.)

Per my handle, it's a '98 F150 Scab 4.6L and has about 85,000mi on it. At about 65,000 I let the local dealer do EVERYTHING!! Plugs, wires, etc. etc. Supposedly they cleaned out the TB, trans oil, rear end oil, flush cooling system, and basic checkup.

Well, after calculating about 13.5mpg, I figured I gotta try somethin'. I think I gained about 1 mpg 'cuz the tires *were* underinflated a few pounds & now I'm runnin' over sooo.....?? And the K&N I could do with or without. I figure it'll be cheaper in the long-term.

Anyway..........the gist is...........what to do next?? Should I clean the TB myself?? MAF?? (Windex OK?) (Do I need to remove it or just spray in the AI?)

And lastly........a suggestion to Ford. If the next big thing in trucks/suv's is gonna be limited cylinders while driving, why not offer to "re-flash" older Fords to do the same thing?? (I believe our '97-'03 trucks have the ability to do the same in an emergency, correct?? So why not make it so NOW!?!)

Old 08-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Change your rear end ratio to something like a 2.56:1. That will give you something like 25 MPG.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you had the injectors cleaned? If not spraying properly, that will cause milage problems and performance problems. If never done, you are due.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
o2 sensors replaced??
Use electrical contact cleaner on the MAF (not windex!) and don't touch it.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:54 PM
subford........smarta$$!!!!

kingfish.................good idea!! Come to think of it, I don't think I have. FWIW, the truck runs really well, but at 85,000 I suppose injector cleaning certainly couldn't hurt.

Some B12??(or 'nother brand?) A couple tanks of Techron?? Full-service, "rape me from behind without so much as a reach-around" at the dealer, injector cleaning?? LOL!

jjmIII........isn't there like a hundred different O2 sensors on this thing?? (j/k) I heard there's more than just 1 or 2. Any advice to swappin' it/them would be great.

Thanks gang, good feedback....I appreciate it!!

Old 08-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wherever you get it, get the type that hooks up to the fuel rail and you run the engine off the can of cleaner. For me the stuff you put in the tank just doesn't cut it. Also wouldn't hurt to clean the TB as you talked about.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:40 PM
OK, will check into it. Any suggestions of brand??

Also..........any instructions on how to plumb the fuel rail with the stuff??

Lastly.........O2 sensor replacement suggestions??

(I'll search here & .net in the meantime) Thanks again!

Old 08-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by 98150xlt
OK, will check into it. Any suggestions of brand??

Also..........any instructions on how to plumb the fuel rail with the stuff??

Lastly.........O2 sensor replacement suggestions??

(I'll search here & .net in the meantime) Thanks again!
The fuel injector cleaner kit will have the fittings to hook it to your rail. If you cant get the kit remove them and have them cleaned. Clean your throttle body with some carb cleaner. As for your mass air they usually dont need to be cleanned, the are heated to burn " most " anything off. I would only replace the front o2's the rear ones dont affect your driving or mpg. Good luck!!

Old 08-20-2005, 07:48 AM
You might look at this site and make sure you look at PAR 2.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/58.shtml

Brand, 3M.

3M Cleaner

3M Cleaner Kit

Old 08-20-2005, 10:08 PM
where do they sell these cleaner kits and roughly how expensive are they???

Old 08-21-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by svt2205
where do they sell these cleaner kits and roughly how expensive are they???
O'Reilly Auto Parts sells them, but they may have to order the kit.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:50 AM
OK, I'll check out the kit. If it's too much $$$, I might just do a coupon deal at one of the local shops & let them do it.

I'd say I could use it on my Camry but that sucker's got 108,000 miles on it and still gets 25mpg in the city just like it did new and runs smoooooth as silk!!!

Old 08-22-2005, 06:08 PM
I'd just leave it as is. Spending hundreds of dollars to save a minimal amount per year and over the rest of the life of the truck is kinda silly.

I thought about doing some of the things listed here, but then I thought about it. Unless it gets at least an extra MPG, it's not worth the expense. Unless you drive a ton(at least 15-20K) of miles per year, I wouldn't spend mroe than $50 trying to get better mileage.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by sandmanx
I'd just leave it as is. Spending hundreds of dollars to save a minimal amount per year and over the rest of the life of the truck is kinda silly.

I thought about doing some of the things listed here, but then I thought about it. Unless it gets at least an extra MPG, it's not worth the expense. Unless you drive a ton(at least 15-20K) of miles per year, I wouldn't spend mroe than $50 trying to get better mileage.
Maybe he is married and his wife won't let him buy a new toy so he is going to 'save' money and invest it in his truck?

It seemed to work well at first when my father started tinkering with a WWII Jeep.

~k_day64

Old 08-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Nawww...........the wife already knows I threatened to go buy a new Corolla or Civic for a 3rd car......(just can't get rid of the truck)........but we've done a few things to help out.

Person driving shortest distance each day drives the truck. (i.e. anybody makin' trips to the grocery store, etc. takes the Camry)

Light on the pedal. Overinflated tires.

Oh........I also cleaned the MAF again this weekend. (Just shot at it from the intake. I didn't have any tamper proof torx, so just squirted w/ non-residue brake cleaner)

Anyway, I also disconnected the battery today for about a half hour. We'll see if any of that stuff helps. (FWIW, the MAF looked clean already, but whatever).

Quick Reply: What to do next?? (and a Ford suggestion)........