1988 300/6 into 1992?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 300/6 into 1992?

well i did a little reading about the swap, and here are my concerns.. i have an 88 300/6 with a 5 spd f150. BODY = SHOT. (hole in the floor, cab corners are optional kinda thing, and of course tyipcal wheel well rot.)

Saturday I bought a 1992 f150 2wd with a rod knock and a slippin 2nd gear auto. cleen truck pretty much, minimal rust, 128k.

i already have the 92 powertrain out.

Here are my concerns:

1.) Speedo on 92+ are electronic, rather than the cable drive.
---- the haynes manual says that the speedo in 92+ are driven by rear abs sensor on the right side wheel. TRUE?

2.) Computer issues with a 5 spd in an auto chassis?

3.) ECM compatability with older motor?
---- Will the 92 computer work the 88 motor?

4.) Wiring harness differences.
---- Im an Electrician so i can pretty much make anything happen there, just looking for things that I will need to change.

Im open to suggestions.. any input is helpful.

Thanks In Advance..

Nah2323.

Old 04-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Done a lot of these swaps, Switch over all the sensors and controls from the old engine to the new one, and you'll eliminate all the electrical mods.
On the 92 trans, check the speedo cable hole, if it's plugged off, change that plug to the new tranny, also you'll know it has a different method to determine speed.

As for the auto ECM, with MOST Ford automatic ECM's work when swapped to manual tranny's, but not if the ECM is a manual version swapping to an auto.

Only other mods will be to change the nuetral safty switch around, either cut and splice the trans end so it's always reading nuetral, hook up the clutch switch from the manual over to the new truck, easiest is to hook up a momentary switch to it so you press the switch to start the truck, the problem with just cut and twist is that if it has cruise, the cruise doesn't always work because it senses nuetral and shuts off

ken

Old 04-11-2005, 10:20 PM
great, i was thinkng im sure i can get it to move / drive, i just like having all the guages work and such. as for the speedo cable. the old tranny is electronic, and the new one is the older cable drivne style. but i read int he naynes that the speedo on the electronic style is determined from the rear abs sensor.

can the neutral switch also be in park? the only reason why this needs to be done is so the starter will engauge? and as for the clutch safety switch. isnt it also true that i can in essence put that in line with the starter trigger wire? when the clutch is depressed, the starter will engauge? i used to own a shop and doing alot of the auto - to manuals on imports, and that was the case with that. any reason why the f150 should be any different?

Old 04-13-2005, 11:14 PM
now am i reading this right? on the AOD trans, there is a certain amount of resistance between which gear the selector is in? so if i wanted neutral trigger, i would solder in 733 ohms of resistance?

Old 04-17-2005, 06:08 PM
SUCCESS... in and running. PAIN IN THE *** though. anyone looking to attempt this or any swap. make sure you have a donor truck. after fabbing and altering all the parts i had, im surprised it started right up.

ill post more details later tonight. thanks for your help kendall.

Quick Reply: 1988 300/6 into 1992?