It's dead, D. E. D. dead!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's dead, D. E. D. dead!!!

ok my buddy has a 1989 ford f150. it has the 302 i think, fuel injected with an automatic tranny. it sports a 4 inch lift and 35's. here is the problem, it dies. hahaha.

he has had to redo the heads twice. do to blowin them up twice, he is on his 3rd tranny. and has gone through more batteries than my ex's vibrater. we finally figured out it had a bad altinator so it has a new one of those. but it still dies from time to time. we have pin pointed it to be somewhere in the fuel system and have put two new fuel pumps in. it still dies, and since saturday it hasnt even been able to start. i am thinkin it has to do with the fuel injection and my buddy is totally baffled.

if any has an idea or knows of a common problem with the 89 f150 fuel systems, please let me know.

thanx in advance.

Old 12-14-2004, 02:00 PM
There is a big fuel pump on the frame and another pump in each tank. My truck has two tanks and a few years ago, the pump in the front tank went out. The truck would not run at all with that tank, even though the main pump on the frame was working. Switching it to the rear tank made it run again. Did you check/replace the pumps in both locations? How about the fuel filter?

Old 12-14-2004, 02:08 PM
yep he checked the fuel filter, but i am not sure if he knew about the fuel pump in the tank. ill have to call him and see.

Old 12-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Are you sure it isn't the sensor on the distributor? I can't remember the exact name but if you look down on the shaft you'll see it. Also we've had problem with the change over switch lately. Had to switch it between the front and back. Haven't had any problem since so i don't know what caused it.

Old 12-14-2004, 02:17 PM
well he has only a single tank. so there is no relay to switch from front to back.

and we believe it is the fuel system. at times when we went somewhere it would just die. and then you start it up and it just lopes like its gonna die but wont.

i dont think it is a distributer issue. although i will recomend he check it again.

Old 12-14-2004, 04:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some of f150 trucks had wiring issues to the fuel pumps. There are several large wiring harnesses on the driverside inner fender, If memeory seves me right it was the one that headed down to the frame and to the rear of the truck. try grabbing and moving these harnesses. Check for fuel pressure and power and ground to the pumps. Hope this might help.

Old 12-14-2004, 04:46 PM
Check the ignition module mounted on the base of the distributor, I had an 88 F150 that went through several of these, they are in a bad spot and don't react well to heat, and being they are mounted right beside the thermostat, they get hot. This was an issue with Ford with lawsuits etc. My truck would typically die a few times and then it eventually would not start altogether until the module was replaced, and only Ford dealers could benchtest them.

Quick Reply: It's dead, D. E. D. dead!!!