New 6.2l for F-150???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 6.2l for F-150???

Ford to beef up engine for F-150

Automaker is developing V-8 powerplant for popular pickup that will dwarf rivals

By Eric Mayne / The Detroit News

Responding to the auto industry’s escalating horsepower wars — including Chrysler’s popular Hemi engine — Ford Motor Co. is developing a larger, more powerful V-8 engine for its top-selling F-150 pickup line.

The engine’s 6.2-liter displacement will dwarf Ford’s biggest V-8 offering — the 300-hp 5.4-liter Triton V-8 — as well as rivals from Chevrolet, Nissan and Dodge, including the 5.7-liter 340-hp Hemi.

Ford declined to comment on the project, but suppliers are already bidding to provide components for the engine, according to documents obtained by The Detroit News.

Ford has not decided where to build the engine known internally as Hurricane.

Despite rising gasoline prices, the Hurricane project is “somewhat overdue,” Global Insight market analyst John Wolkonowicz said.

“In trucks, it’s all about bragging rights,” Wolkonowicz said.

The full-size truck market has become a major battleground for Detroit automakers, with Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge and GMC facing new competition from formidable Toyota Motor Co.p. and Nissan Motor Co. entries.

Demand for the 345-horsepower Hemi has soared since DaimlerChrysler AG’s Chrysler Group revived the legendary engine two years ago.

More than 60 percent of all Dodge Durango sport utility vehicles are now sold with a Hemi engine, and Chrysler is now using it on large, rear-wheel drive passenger cars.

The Hurricane project is another sign Ford is back on solid financial ground. Analysts say the project was probably delayed when the automaker posted losses of $6.4 billion over 2001 and 2002.

Helped by steep cost reductions and lower operating costs, Ford is on track to earn pre-tax profits of $7 billion by mid-decade.

“Now that things are looking up a little bit, they’re starting to prioritize some of those things that got put on the back burner before,” Wolkonowicz said.

The Hurricane project comes as Ford is rolling out 11 new engines and transmissions to bolster its powertrain lineup.

Ford dealers are eager to sell a more powerful engine. Like the Triton V-8, the new engine will feature advanced technology to limit harmful emisions.

“Anytime they can claim (class-leading) horsepower, torque and green’ at the same time, hello! Where do I sign up?” said Bob Krause, inventory manager and sales consultant at Roy O’Brien Ford in St. Clair Shores.

You can reach Eric Mayne at (313) 222-2443 or emayne@detnews.com.

Link to original here:http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosins...b01-165355.htm

Old 05-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Re: New 6.2l for F-150???

Originally posted by CincySCrew
Ford to beef up engine for F-150

Automaker is developing V-8 powerplant for popular pickup that will dwarf rivals

By Eric Mayne / The Detroit News

Responding to the auto industry’s escalating horsepower wars — including Chrysler’s popular Hemi engine — Ford Motor Co. is developing a larger, more powerful V-8 engine for its top-selling F-150 pickup line.

The engine’s 6.2-liter displacement will dwarf Ford’s biggest V-8 offering — the 300-hp 5.4-liter Triton V-8 — as well as rivals from Chevrolet, Nissan and Dodge, including the 5.7-liter 340-hp Hemi.
[/URL]
Ford Just won't get it.Instead of looking for the Highest HP. Why don't they come out with a baby Powerstoke that has decent towning but gets 30mpg?????

Filled up the Jetta yesterday, Diesel is running $1.67.

COME ON GET WITH THE PROGRAM FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Old 05-27-2004, 11:38 AM
I'm with ya there msparks. A little inline six diesel would make these F-150s scoot right along with unbeleivable mileage. And there is no doubt that they could get "class winnig torque" out of it to boot!

Old 05-27-2004, 11:51 AM
I'm with ya. I have no need to go out and buy a F-250+ but could use more torque/HP and sure as hell could use better gas mileage.

Old 05-27-2004, 11:53 AM
I agree with getting a small diesel option or even a hybrid option to assist with better gas mileage. Both options would be a win over a bigger gas engine.

Old 05-27-2004, 12:12 PM
I agree with the diesel comments. However, Ford has had some issues with the 6.0 diesel and it gets horrible fuel mileage. I guess I'm saying diesel is good; if you get it right. I'm not sure that Ford has it right.

The VW diesel is phenomenal!!!!! Gets the fuel mileage of a hybrid without the complexity and expense.

Old 05-27-2004, 12:48 PM
I did say that they were working to keep emissions low on it, maybe they could do things like cylinder shutoff(cut spark and fuel to one bank when cruising) and if they combined it with a 5 or 6 speed auto it could get better mileage then the 5.4

Trending Topics

Old 05-27-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by acadianabob
I agree with the diesel comments. However, Ford has had some issues with the 6.0 diesel and it gets horrible fuel mileage. I guess I'm saying diesel is good; if you get it right. I'm not sure that Ford has it right.

The VW diesel is phenomenal!!!!! Gets the fuel mileage of a hybrid without the complexity and expense.
Don't foget the power!!! MY TDI is only 90hp but has over 155 ft/lbs torque. They have a 130 hp version out now, it still gets great milage but with mondo power.

Who say's that IH has to provide the Diesel. I'm sure they could find some other maker out there. As they put small 4 and 6 cyl diesels in boats.

All I can say is make it and they will come.

I've wanted to buy a New Volvo, and have written Vovlo NA to ask when they will bring their 5 cyl diesel to the US. They have no plans to do so. What does it take for Corp America to wake up??

Old 05-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Now I thought that back when the new PSD 6.0 was coming out that IH had fully tooled up and may have made a few prototypes of a new PSD V-6 for the F-150 and then Ford had money problems and told IH to shelve it for now and IH was contemplating suing FOMOCO for the billions spent re-tooling for the v-6.

Mercedes has just announced that it is bringing it's awesome I-6 diesel E series back to the states.

I have been reading that once the USA goes to low sulfer diesel nationwide that we will get a slew of new diesel models.

I bet the hurricane is so FOMOCO can make a lightning to compete with the dodge viper truck (whatever it's name is)

later-

Old 05-27-2004, 10:04 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am all behind a diesel in the F150, espescially if its the John Deere that has been rumored. But a 6.2l V-8? I just think that that would be FRIGGIN AWESOME!

Old 05-28-2004, 12:09 AM
Thumbs up

Well folks, I may as well dive into this as this is my first post....

I like the idea of having a bigger V-8 with more horsepower & torque, but with the way gas prices are skyrocketing in this area, a nice little Powerstroke diesel would be real nice.

Right now without any mods to my 150, I am getting about 16 miles to the gallon. It would be nice to see something in the mid 20's per gallon.

Old 05-28-2004, 12:16 AM
Heck with the diesel there for semi's and tractors.

Eeeyess Bring the big gasser!

Old 05-28-2004, 12:49 AM
Being a diesel tech... From all of my experiences with diesels, ford and gm are never going to get the fuel economy and power that they should be getting with their diesel engines in the V configurations.

Why do ya think Detroit Diesel, Caterpillar, and Cummins all went with the I style engine after decades of v blocks? Because they were able to make a lighter, more fuel efficient, and more powerfull engine in the I blocked motors.

If you look at all of the diesels in the cars now, theyre all I engines, although a v type would be smaller and possibly cheaper to make, but they dont make the power and get the mileage that the little I's do.

I have heard rumors from a Navistar service rep that Ford was checking into a small Perkins diesel with Cat electronics and HEUI injection on it. Kinda interesting seeing how the class 7 trucks are getting almost as good of fuel mileage as the Powerstrokes get in pickups.

One co worker if mine has a 97 dodge xcab 4x4 with the mechanical 5.9 cummins and gets 16 mpg driving back and forth to work and the same 16 mpg when he is pulling his 22 foot camper, yet our parts trucks that are 2wd superdutys get maybe 12-13mpg on a good day.

I too think that we need some smaller diesels for us to take advantage of the power and economy they provide before we get another even bigger gas hog.

Old 05-28-2004, 08:08 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tsr770,

A friend of mine gets 18mpg with a 2003 GM 3/4 ton extended cab short bed 4wd pickup, Duramax/Allison combo. 15mpg towing 5000 pounds throught the mountains. The numbers would go up if a little he slowed down the speeds a little, I guess his truck is geared for 70mph crusing which is fine for towing. However, empty truck on the highway gets blown away in Michigan at 70mph.

Also, a coworker had a 2000 Ford F350 Lariat Crew cab long box 4wd with the 7.3L and manual tranny. He has gotten up to 25mpg on some stretches on 2-lane highway, but usually low 20's.

Maybe they are the odd bunch, but I doubt it. I think there is something wrong with your parts trucks or how they are driven.

Old 05-28-2004, 08:18 AM
Good things take time...

I think the 6.0's developmental problems are behind it. And I understand the 4.5 V6 diesel, originally rumored to be available for the 150, is about to be(or is being) used in the cabover type light delivery truck chassis.

As far as the "new" 6.2 gasser, I welcome it. It seems to me that Ford has self imposed a horsepower limit on itself. It is always the last to raise the output of it's gas motors in each respective class. And only when a significant portion of it's competitors have it outpowered will it then respond with increased power, like now! As far as mileage, I can live with the 12 or 13 I'm getting with my current 5.4 two valve motor.

Ford has a lot of history and success with International supplying diesel engines. I can't imagine them changing that. Like tsr770 sez', i-6 diesels are the standard of Class 8 and smaller HD trucks, however it appears packaging and "it's a V-8!" marketing cachet have caused both Ford and GM to choose that configuration for their pickup diesels. More prospective diesel pickup buyers probably stepped out of gas engined pickup than a Freightliner.

Quick Reply: New 6.2l for F-150???