Amsoil Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil Oil

I talked to an Amsoil dealer this morning and he said that you only have to change your oil every 25000 miles if you use amsoil. Is this correct? Any Amsoil users out there? Chime in!

Old 03-16-2004, 03:13 PM
Re: Amsoil Oil

Originally posted by rjkjoe
I talked to an Amsoil dealer this morning and he said that you only have to change your oil every 25000 miles if you use amsoil. Is this correct? Any Amsoil users out there? Chime in!
Well that is a yes an no statement. It is possible under the right conditions to go 25,000 without changing. Would I just blatently do it? Well probably no.

Right now I have about 25,000 and over 2years withou changing the oil in my 97. But I have a by-pass filter, and I change filters periodically.

If I were to tell a new customer to extend their drains, I would recommend using oil analysis to be sure the oil is holding up good. I would also recommend a shortened interval on the first run to help flush out contaminans. I would also recommend using an engine flush on any engines with over 20,000 miles or so.

Lastly even though the oil is capable of intervals up to 25,000 miles, there is a 1 year qualifier in there, as well as a manditory filter change at either 3 months(stock filter) or 6 months Amsoil filter.

Old 03-16-2004, 03:30 PM
O.K. Let me get this straight. If I switch to Amsoil I should flush the oil and put some type of cleaner through it and then refill with amsoil for 3 months then drain the amsoil install a new amsoil filter and then again at 6 months and then I should be good to go? Next question - Is it worth it? I've heard alot of good things about Amsoil but it is very expensive.

Old 03-17-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by rjkjoe
O.K. Let me get this straight. If I switch to Amsoil I should flush the oil and put some type of cleaner through it and then refill with amsoil for 3 months then drain the amsoil install a new amsoil filter and then again at 6 months and then I should be good to go? Next question - Is it worth it? I've heard alot of good things about Amsoil but it is very expensive.
Expensive?? For me it's less expensive than running any other oil.

Even without the by-pass you should have no trouble running 9-12 thousand miles. On the first run. Then maybe 15,000 tops thereafter. I would really say the one size fits all 25,000 mile drain is not feasable with most cars. Especially with Big V-8's that have low sump capacity and higher than normal fuel dilution.

Another note is if you are using your truck for towing, stop and go driving, off roading, long periods of idling etc. I would say if you are you should be doing oil changes every 6-8 months. If you use your truck for normal driving and little to no short trips the 1 year interval should be okay.

Have I confused you yet?

On to the first part of your question. When you change over, I would recommend an engine flush. Let is drain really good, then put on a new filter and fill it up. Run the oil 3 months and change the filter. Run the oil 6 months or 7500-9000 miles and change the oil and filter.

From then on, you can go 6 months or 7500-9000 miles and change the filter. Then Change the oil once a year or about 15,000 miles give or take.

With the above proceedure, it should be less expensive to do than changing with a conventional oil. Especially if you factor in your time savings. Also in the long run you should see longer engine life than with a conventional oil.

Old 03-17-2004, 11:18 AM
10 yrs using Amsoil in everything I own. I started out just like msparks said with the shortened intervals just so I could build my confidence with the extended interval. I was a huge skeptic but the dealer I bought from then had a portable oil analyzer called a Lubri-Sensor that he would test my oil with any time I wanted. It tested for 1) excessive fuel dillution 2) excess coolant 3) excess hydrocarbons 4) excess metals. The oil always tested fine right up to the Amsoil recommended interval of 1 yr/25,000 miles on the oil whichever came first and 12,500 miles/6 months on the filter whichever came first. Except for 1 time it showed excess coolant which turned out to be a leaking head gasket.
After a year I became a dealer so I could buy it cheaper and use it in everything I had (lawnmower, snowmobile, car, etc). I then started sending oil samples in to Oil Analyzers to get more detailed analysis and it always came back "good for continued service" even with 20,000 miles on. Now I just change it out at the Amsoil recommended interval and forget it. I know I could probably go longer with it because I don't put 25,000 per yr on but it's easy to remember to change it during a certain month of the year.

Old 03-17-2004, 07:24 PM
from an email that I got today from Lube-Tips

Q & A: Extending Oil Service Life

"Can I expect a synthetic engine oil to extend the service life above that of a mineral oil? Also, can the service life of oil be extended by increasing sump capacity? For example, if we double the sump capacity then can we expect the service interval to be doubled or is there a ratio?"

Synthetics can have extended drain intervals; however, the factor at which the extended drain would be assumed depends on many factors including contamination control and exclusion, typical operating conditions of the vehicle, temperature, etc.

A larger sump equates to more additives and detergents for the same engine. So a larger sump will extend the service life. Assuming all conditions are the same, twice the oil in the sump should provide twice the service life.

Jason Kopschinsky, Technical Consultant, Noria Corporation

Old 04-04-2004, 07:53 PM
Amsoil Oil

Thanks for your input about Amsoil Oil. I've been considering using it in my 2001 F-150. All that I've read, including the Motor Oil Bible, recomends it very highly. I'm very glad to get opinions from people who have had direct experience with the product.

I do have a question though. A little background on my truck first-it's a 2001 supercab F-150 with a 5.4 leter engine. It has a 6500 GVWR and a 3.55 rear end. I tow a boat, go off road and drive long road miles. My question concerns changing the oil filter-the screw on type-Is there s valve that has to be chainged or taken out to change the oil? If so how is this done and are there any special tools that are needed?

Thanks again for the info. I really enjoy the tips and comments and help that I get from the folks involved with this website.

Thanks again

Flyguy

Trending Topics

Old 04-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Let's see... the manual says normal oil change interval is every 5000 miles.

Five oil Filters: $15
30 Quarts of Havoline 5W30: $30
Grand total of $45 to go 25,000 miles.

Refresh my memory... how much is Amsoil?

Old 04-05-2004, 08:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I was using Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic and my 5.4L engine was leaking/using oil. The oil leakage problem went away since I switched to the Amsoil 5w30 that is good for 25,000 miles. I am also using the Amsoil oil filter that is changed every 12,000 miles.
I have been very happy with the Amsoil so far...

Old 04-05-2004, 09:49 AM
Lubri-Sensor???? What is that? Is it a portable AA machine or something?

Old 04-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by worland
Let's see... the manual says normal oil change interval is every 5000 miles.

Five oil Filters: $15
30 Quarts of Havoline 5W30: $30
Grand total of $45 to go 25,000 miles.

Refresh my memory... how much is Amsoil?
6 * $6 for oil = $36
$10 oil filter * 2 = $20
Total = $56

Total disposed oil - 6 Qrts
Total amount of times you need to crawl under the truck to change the oil in -10 F temps with the 1/2" wrench freezing to your hand - 1 (if you don't plan ahead!)

I'll pay $11 for that.

Old 04-05-2004, 07:36 PM
Yes, Lubri-Sensor is a handheld analyzer that sold for $600.00 several years ago. They were made here in MN. The company that sold them has changed hands and now the analyzer isn't available anymore. The company will still calibrate them but doesn't sell them unless demand rises again. I recently read of a fleet service that uses the Lubri-Sensor for their analysis on their all of their trucks. It's too spendy to justify for the average guy but the guy I got my oil from at the time had a helicopter service and he used it for that. I haven't looked into the analyzer for about a year now. A web search might turn up a company selling them again.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by crashz
6 * $6 for oil = $36
$10 oil filter * 2 = $20
Total = $56

Total disposed oil - 6 Qrts
Total amount of times you need to crawl under the truck to change the oil in -10 F temps with the 1/2" wrench freezing to your hand - 1 (if you don't plan ahead!)

I'll pay $11 for that.
Buy a case for $60(that includes shipping) you get 2 years worth of oil changes That is $30 per change. plus 4 filters for $34.

That would make each oil change $47. So we are within $2 to get the best oil for your truck and not have to get under the truck or find a place to dump your oil 5 times!!

But hey it's your time and your truck.
msparks

Last edited by msparks; 04-06-2004 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:06 PM
I would be very wary of taking advise from an Amsoil Dealer about their product.
Question: Why is Amsoil sold only thru so called "Dealers" in a Multi level marketing scheme?
I don't trust Amway products or Amsoil, or any product sold thru MLM.
I will take Amsoil seriously when they start selling it Nationwide in auto parts stores. Right alongside other brands for competition.

Until then, NO THANKS!!!!

Old 04-06-2004, 01:38 PM
I USE AMSOIL XL7500 5W20 AND THE CORPORATE WEBSITE RECOMMENDS 6 MONTHS OR 7500 MILES.

Quick Reply: Amsoil Oil