Fuel injector/regulator knock on V6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel injector/regulator knock on V6?

I am new to this little engine, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not??

I have a 99' F150 extended cab flareside sport with the V6 automatic. The truck only has 64,000 KM or 40,000 miles. When I start the truck up cold, it fires right up and idles beautifully - no misses of any kind. After about 10 seconds at idle, you start to hear a "lifter tick" like sound. It comes from both sides of the engine compartment. After 5-10 minutes of warm up, the slight "ticking" quiets down and is not as noticeable.

I was told that this could be caused by bad oil filter (not likely as I use Ford filters), but I've also been told this is normal and is nothing more than a fuel regulator/fuel injector knock when cold. It does not sound like a rod bearing, as that is a much more predominant sound that never really goes away; even under acceleration. Not to mention the noise does not seem to be coming from the bottom of the engine. The truck runs great otherwise and doesn't touch a drop of oil. Oil pressure is always around 3/4 of the gauge.

Is this common, or is there something wrong with my truck?

Old 03-12-2004, 10:51 AM
Lightbulb

I'd say it's common. Mine does it too, but I don't pay any attention to it. I've never had any problems with my 4.2 engine, and so far all is good at 39,000 miles.

Old 03-12-2004, 11:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could use a long handled screwdriver or mechanics stethoscope to see if it valves or, what I suspect, just noisy injectors.

Old 03-13-2004, 09:39 PM
I heard about your problems in the v6 forum. I Hope all goes well.

Quick Reply: Fuel injector/regulator knock on V6?