Slight pinging

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Slight pinging

Hey all, Some help please. My engine at 19K miles has started to ping very slightly on hard acceleration. Not real bad, (I have to have the tunes off to hear it) but enough to know it's there. And it's only when I jump on it hard, especially going up a hill. Should I try resetting the computer? Or take it to the dealer for a diagnostic? Or are they going to tell me it's "normal". The other thing is that I'm going to call Troyer perf. today and order my micro-tuner before they go up in price even more. Hopefully Mike and Anita will give me a screamin deal. Should I wait and install the performance chip first and see if it stiil does it? What would you do? Thanks for Any advise you could give.

Old 03-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What engine is it ?

4.6L engines have an issue with clogged EGR passages, that can cause this.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=138781

If you do a search in the engine forum, with the search term ping* you will find a bunch of posts on the topic.

Good luck

Old 03-04-2004, 09:27 AM
5.4, see sig.

How do I check the EGR?

Old 03-04-2004, 10:19 AM
it involves removing the intake manifold and cleaning all that crud out of there. Not sure on how its done but i know dealerships charge +/- $250 to do it.

Old 03-04-2004, 08:43 PM
If its a slight ping, don't worry about it. Pretty much all do it a little. You can thank California or your local Treehugging Hippie Group for it. To get the best performance and 'environmental' crap out of it, the computer leans out the fuel as much as possible. This usually results in a slight ping, either under light load or full throttle. Also, have you changed fuel lately? I know on mine, in the winter time some fuels make it ping more than other brands, whereas in the summer it rarely pings at all.

Just a thought.

Old 03-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Cleaning the EGR is very easy and no you do not need to remove the intake manifold!!

You have a 5.4 which are not pingers historicaly like the 4.6's are. So you definately have a problem. My guesses would be:

Dirty MAF
Cracked Elbow hose at the firewall
Bad coolant temp sensor (ECT)
Bad 02 sensors
carbon build up on the pistons

The top two are the most likely in my opinion. Do a search on the board here for more advice.

Old 03-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Check the previous thread concerning the useage of Sea Foam.

Old 03-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry I have sigs turned off, so I don't need to pull the list of towels that someone uses for waxing over the dialup or GPRS network while travling.

5.4L don't bother with the EGR passage cleaning, I have yet to see a 5.4 ping due to this, in my time here.

Start with the MAFS cleaning. This can cause some pinging, and then the other is what brand gas do you buy ?
The reason I ask, is Mike posted a thread on BTU content of different mfgr's gas, where the octaine is the same ( or 92 to 93 ) but the fuel can have a lower BTU content. This can be a source ( or one of multiple sources ) of pinging on a 5.4 L

If a load of fuel from a Sunoco ( if you have them around you ) and the MAFS cleaning does not do it, then go about the list that hcmq posted, as that would be the tact to take.

Good luck, let us know what happens

Old 03-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I'll clean the MAFS and go from there. I use 87 oct. from Chevron pretty much all the time. Sometimes I'll use Shell if I need to. I But never anything cheap. I hope maybe it's just the winter formula in the gas or something. It just worries me a little cause I try to take good care of my truck and it has never done it before.

BTW I called Troyer Perf. yesterday and my micro-tuner is on the way Even though the price jumped up on the 1st, they gave me a great deal Magnaflow will be next!

Quick Reply: Slight pinging