truck died while driving today

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy truck died while driving today

I've been having a problem the past couple days with my battery light coming on and was planning on getting it looked at tomorrow morning, but on my way home today my '97 f150 died in the middle of the road. The battery isn't dead because my radio will still work. However when I try to crank the ignition it just clicks. Any ideas?

Old 02-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

You have enough amps to drive the radio but do you have enough amps to drive the starter and the engine? Clean your battery connections. It is either your alternator or your battery if cleaning the battery connections does not help.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:10 AM
shoulda bought a hemi, next time think

Old 02-23-2004, 01:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

HI!... Hey HEMROIDBOY : Go to the LIGHTNING section here. The SRT-10's are starting a habit of being dead on the side of the road! LOL! DODGE will never learn.

Old 02-23-2004, 03:23 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
belt slipping, alternator shot , battery shot, bad connection, check main starter wire lead to the starter they were a pos. let us know what the problem was.

Old 02-24-2004, 03:18 PM
Well, the mechanic said he tested out the starting and charging systems and the conclusion he came to was that the battery was shot.

Would just having a bad battery cause the truck to die in the middle of the road like that while running?

Seems like it would most likely be an alternator issue since if the alternator wasn't supplying enough power the battery would get drained until it no longer had enough power for the spark plugs which could cause the engine to die like that. Although the mechanic said he testing the alternator and it seemed all right.

Quick Reply: truck died while driving today