1988 302 w/AOD tranny into 1981 F-100

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 302 w/AOD tranny into 1981 F-100

I'm looking to unretire my F-100 pickup, thats currently sitting mostly dead on my parent's farm.

We have an 88 Lincoln Town Car with a 302 and AOD tranny that I can have because the interior is shot, and the exterior isn't great either.

I plan to take all the electronics, computer, and sensor parts from the Lincoln and put it into the F-100, but I wanted to find out if ya'll knew of any major gotcha's I'd run into.

I figure on at least the following work when I'm done
1) Exhaust
2) Driveshaft (if too long, needs shortening, if too short, need to get a new one, may get a new one anyways)
3) Rear-end, I'm not sure how stout the one in the F-100 is, it may be a good idea to find a junkyard F-150 rear-end. Would the F-150 rear-end "bolt in", without needing the axle tubes shortened?
4) Shifter - I haven't figured this out yet. I currently have a stick shift, and would need to mount a floor automatic shifter in there for the AOD. However, I haven't found a good one meant for trucks yet (tall handle, since it has to go so far from the floor).
5)Transmission crossmember - Anyone know of any donor vehicles that might assist me in this effort?
6)Radiator - See #5, I doubt the one in the Lincoln will fit. Worst comes to worse I'm sure the local radiator shop can order me whatever I want, assuming I know what vehicle I can pull parts from that will also fit my F-100. I just don't know whats different from an 81 F-100 to an F-150, so no idea whats interchangeable. If they are almost all interchangeable I know a bunch of old F-150 pickups that I can pull parts from.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, whether it be for or against this. I think this is very possible for me to do, I've done it on Chevies before, but since I'm relatively new to the Ford world, I don't know the parts so well.

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: 1988 302 w/AOD tranny into 1981 F-100