4.6, ready to kick bucket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check for vacuum leak (hose) top front.
Creamy film under oil cap dont sweat.
They been tellin me about new engine 200,000 miles ago. 1998/4.2. 299,980 mi.

400 mi ago oil pressure guage started fluctuating, any ideas?? I'm hopeing its no more than the oil pump.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by tektek
400 mi ago oil pressure guage started fluctuating, any ideas?? I'm hopeing its no more than the oil pump.
That's interesting, it works like a light, either on or off. sounds like an oil pressure sensor with a bad connection, or starting to go.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:49 PM
I cant find any vac leaks, and trust me I have looked, I don't know much about oil pumps, everything I know now has been because I bought this truck, I like learning about it, I just don't want it to tear up along the way.
I must say that this site rules, I have deff. learned alot from people sharing probs and expieriences and thats cool.

Old 01-24-2004, 07:47 AM
Added a can of SeaFoam to a full tank of Midgrade, Gonna go down pick up a fuel filter and slap it on today, plan on greasing my squeeky pitman arm after I get back from trailriding on my Yama
The clicking noise I'm hearing only occurs when I start driving in the morning after it sits all night ( going to work), and when I first leave work in the evening. It seems to settle down once it has been going awhile, and it only " clicks" when I give it gas, If I idle it isn't as noticable.
The stalling issue at red lights has stopped, but it still seems like it is idleing low (500RPM), I hope I don't have one of those sludge filled gas tanks. If you have a crud-filled tank can a garage clean it out or do you usually have to get a new one put on?
My work truck (Freightliner FL-70 w/Telsta T-40) has a prob with bogging down, took it to shop, they said the aftermarket tank has corrosion possibly from crappy Diesel (all of our small F-350, f-450, 550 bucketrucks use the same fuel and don't have a prob.) or it has always been a bad tank. $2000 dollar fix. I just hope mine isn't in that shape. I'm just trying everything I can try before breaking down and taking it to the man.

Old 01-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Green crew- you sure about the guage/ light going only on or off (if not sensor). That would be a good sign in this situation.

Yankee that ticking noise fits my past situation at about 200,000.

A noise now is more pronounced..

Does this tektek noise sound like a piston slap. If so I guess I dont have to be as concerned.

Thanks for the feedback too.

Old 01-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Replaced sensor-day 6+- ok

(still tektek noise)

Old 01-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Motorvac works good I sell them LOL Of course they work good LOL
Really they work you can get the info from a Carquest Auto Parts store tell them to call the Equiptment Division
Youll find it at Carquest

Old 01-26-2004, 06:16 PM
Since your idle still sucks, I would replace that IAC. Cleaning them doesn't always work. My Ranger had a bad high idle problem at first. Cleaned the IAC and it fixed it for a week or so, then I started getting low idle and the truck would stall when I started it up cold, unless I held the throttle a bit. I replaced the IAC (around $40) and everything with the idle returned to normal.

Old 01-26-2004, 09:01 PM
yankee1509, when i clean my 97 4.6 throttle body, i spray a can of throttle body cleaner (not carb cleaner) directly into the throttle body with the engine running. Just keep a finger on the accelerator to keep the revs up while you are spraying. I have good luck with this method altho the can (not sure what brand i used but it came from pep boys) doesnt say whether the motor was suppoosed to be running. You may well see white exhaust smoke while spraying but that is normal. I use one full can per cleaning. spray it in slowly. also,since the maf filament is easy to damage, i never touch it with anything when cleaning. I remove it with torx security socket set (just a few bucks from a local parts store) and then soak the filament 15 minutes in a small container such as a small plastic lid from a big bottle. i let it air dry and reinstall. Works great. I use brake kleen on the maf but you can also use electronic parts cleaner. Just make sure the can says "dries clean, leaves no residue" .

Old 01-27-2004, 05:40 AM
thanks for the input again, I'll give it a go.

Quick Reply: 4.6, ready to kick bucket?