Hearing a noise and don't know what it is

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hearing a noise and don't know what it is

I have a 98 F-150 with a v-6. I keep hearing a noise everytime I push on the gas pedal. It sounds like a metal on metal rattle. It doesn't start right away. It starts a second or two after I accelerate. But then it stops after a second or two. I doesn't do it after I have accelerated to full speed. The truck is running fine. Is it just my imagination? Anyone have an idea what it could be? Thanks

Old 09-18-2003, 08:34 PM
Could it be something with your exhaust system? Check for a loose hanger?

Old 09-19-2003, 12:31 AM
I have the same type of noise in my truck. Happens just as you describe. I haven't made the time to track it down, but I might bank on a heat shield of some sort.

I had the same type of thing happen on an old Nissan truck...fixed it with some bailing wire. No cost...no rattle!

Let us know what you find out.

Old 09-19-2003, 01:52 AM
It's most likely the heat shield for a catalytic converter. They can rust and become loose or you can also get sand or stones trapped between the shield and pipe.

If the shield is loose, Ford suggests a band clamp be installed to hold the shield in place. If there are stones, you should be able to spray water in there to get them out.

On my truck, I had a loud rattle at 1,200 RMPs for a while. Turns out that a 2"x3" metal ID tag had rusted loose and was rattling around between the heat shield and the pipe.

Old 09-19-2003, 02:52 PM
I guess I forgot to mention that I am a rural carrier on the side. It didn't start until after I started doing that. AJRagano may be right. I do pick up alot of dirt and stones out on the backroads. I'll check it out in a couple of days and let you guys know. Thanks

Old 09-21-2003, 05:14 PM
You have a partially broken exhaust manifold stud.
The engine lifting bracket on the left side head needs to be removed.
The bracket would vibrate and break the end of the stud off. The bracket would then only be held on with one nut, causing the rattle you mentioned.

Old 09-21-2003, 11:09 PM
Home skillet could you give that too me in english? I'm not much of a mechanic. What I need to know is how serious it is. Is it something that I need to get repaired quickly or not? Thanks for the help

Trending Topics

Old 09-22-2003, 09:23 AM
On the driver's side by the brake booster. There's a bracket sticking up with a hole in the top.
There are two bolts holding this bracket on, one of the nuts will be missing. Remove the remaining nut-13mm deep socket.
Discard the bracket.

Quick Reply: Hearing a noise and don't know what it is