THANK YOU... Please READ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up THANK YOU... Please READ!!!

Here is the situation. I have a code P0402 (EGR excessive flow). From all the reading I have done on a search it seems likely to be a defective DPFE (controls the EGR valve).

This morning I call my Ford dealer and tell the service tech my situation as far as the code etc. He asks how many miles, and I tell him approx. 39,000. I am then told it is NOT covered under warranty and will cost $72.00 just to connect it up and pull the code. At first I ask why the need to connect anything to it since I just told him the code was a P0402. He tells me it gives them more information. What ever is what I say and tell him first I am not spending any money for him to tell me it is code P0402.

Now I am already a little pissed because he “tried” to tell me it is not covered under warranty. I tell him I have the Ford ESP Premium extended warranty. Again he tells me still no good that it doesn’t cover it. I made the appointment anyway until I could get home.

So, I get home read through my Ford ESP warranty and find it DOES indeed cover it. Reason I know this is because it list the things that are NOT covered and the only thing that comes close is the “exhaust system” is not covered. No big deal since the EGR and DPFE is not apart of the exhaust system. The exhaust system is basically the parts needed to get rid of the exhaust. The EGR and DPFE have nothing to do with controlling the exhaust.

Emissions warranty is no good for me because it is for 3 years or 36,000 miles.

I then decide prior to calling back to see what I can find here researching to have as much information as possible before I confront my dealer. Hot damn if I don’t come across some excellent information that most likely saved me approx. $200 - $300 out of my pocket.

Before I continue let me inform you I searched here and other websites for recalls on my 01 4.2 and found NOTHING as far as the DPFE.

Through my research here from you fine people I find that the DPFE is a piece of crap and there is, REPEAT IS a recall for this.

Extension Warranty Program number – 02M01 5 years / 60,000 miles

That there covers ALL cost for replacing the DPFE. From my research I have found that my code P0402 and another code of P0401 are usually linked to a faulty DPFE.

Therefore, to give back to those that have helped me I wanted to post this. If you have one of those codes or a code that could be linked to the DPFE use the 02M01 number with your service department and you may find it won’t cost you a penny. I do not know all what years that covers but as I stated it did NOT come up when I did a search.

Back to my dealer. I called them and they went on about it not being covered under my extended warranty. I read the warranty to him over the phone and he finally gets it and says Ok, your right it is covered under your warranty with a $100 deductible”

However that was not good enough so I informed them about the 02M01 (5 years / 60,000 miles) and wouldn’t you guess something popped up on their system and told them “Yep, your right that is covered and won’t even cost you the $100 deductible from your extended warranty”

No chit…

Thanks again people, this once again proves how this site is not just helpful but more informed then the Ford dealer service departments…

Old 08-25-2003, 06:37 PM
Scary!

Scares me to know that we have more information here than the dealer. I believe that to be true, but would hope that a service department would just have better access to more information.

I'll keep searching f150online.com for all of my questions first!

Hunt4Fun

Old 08-25-2003, 06:49 PM
I'm sure they know all about the recall and the coverage under extended warranty. They were looking to get paid up front instead of waiting for their money from Ford. Just think of how many people would say "Oh really" and bring it in and pay for the repair themselves.

Old 08-25-2003, 08:07 PM
Yep, Ford extended the warrany on some of the DPFE sensors. You should have received a letter from Ford stating this, even though I don't believe everyone with the defective sensor received one. The wife received a letter for this on her '01 Sport Trac ( which btw, has been replaced under warranty @ 23,000 miles) . So if you paid to have it replaced Ford will reinburse you for it.

Old 08-25-2003, 08:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good job XLT... How much do you wanna bet if it was the other way around, and you were responsible for the cost instead of them they would have figured it out on your first call!

Old 08-25-2003, 08:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is anyone sure of the exact years of the faulty DPFE sensor?

Old 08-25-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by STX/98
Is anyone sure of the exact years of the faulty DPFE sensor?
I wish I knew. From all the research I did here, which had all the information there was no mention of years. When I go in Friday I will try to ask about what years and then post. I don't think they will give up that information, but perhaps with some wording I can get them to give it up, like "I understand the recall covers 97 - 03"... Maybe they will come back with a "No, only 00 and 01"

Tailgator:

I never received any letters about a recall. Even when I did a search here and on other web-sites for recalls or TSB's nothing mentioned this recall...

Old 08-27-2003, 03:24 PM
I posted that the minute I got the letter in the mail. I don't know how many posts I've seen since about people having problems with it and having to replace it out of pocket...maybe things like this should be a "sticky"...???

Also, read the thread and CHECK YOUR IAT SENSORS...stock or not...could save you $100's.

-AR

Old 08-27-2003, 05:01 PM
Good point Jackal...

Here is some more information I got from some techs at another web site:

Affected Vehicles
Certain 2000 and 2001 model year vehicles equipped with a tube-mounted EGR Pressure Sensor (9J460), DPFE (Duel Pressure Feedback EGR) Sensor which monitors EGR flow.

Specific vehicles are not listed in the bulletin, but all affected vehicles are on OASIS.

No other parts are covered and there is no related damage allowance.
That is for the Warranty Extension program 02M01 which extends the warranty for 2 years and 24,000 miles for that part only.

Old 08-27-2003, 05:18 PM
Nice job. Too bad you had to do so much leg work.
Just as a side: My wife and I were looking at a used Expedition at a dealership. I asked for the repair record/Oasis which the salesman said several times would have everything ever done to the truck at a Ford dealership anywhere in the country. The truck was 5 yrs old and had 70,000 miles on it. The salesman comes back from Service with a smile on his face saying the only time it had ever been in to Ford was for a squeak in the dash. Not even a record of a recall repair. Well weren't we surprised when we found about 30 Ford receipts in the glovebox for major stuff like the throttle sticking WO at one time.
I wrote a letter to the State Attorney General who in turn sent a letter to them. Miraculously Ford then changed their Oasis program which now showed all the repairs that had been done. The dealership told the Attorney General that a recent change since our complaint made the full record now available.
I don't trust any of them.
Arm yourself with info from the experienced people on this site.

Old 08-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by davet
Nice job. Too bad you had to do so much leg work.
Thanks, but it wasn't really much leg work at all. I basically found everything I needed right here by just using the search ****ion. So the leg work was done, just me having to select a few buttons and writting some things done on paper...

Old 08-29-2003, 04:15 PM
UPDATE:

Took my truck in as I had planned. The service tech was excellent. I found that as far as the Extension Warranty Program number 02M01 for replacement of the DPFE is dependant upon the VIN for your vehicle.

What I was told is basically that a “lot” or “batch” of these DPFE sensors was prone to having moisture sucked into them and then rendered the electronics inside them useless. The replacement DPFE sensors are a different design where as any moisture they may see will not harm the electronics.

Since these DPFE sensors where put on many different vehicles, not only trucks for the years of 00 and 01 Ford traced them back to particular vehicles. Most likely manufacture dates. This is the reason if they run your VIN they can tell if you are a recipient of one of these faulty DPFE sensors and thus eligible for the 02M01 program. This extends the warranty on the DPFE ONLY for 5 years or 60,000 miles which ever comes first.

From my service order these are the numbers or codes that would qualify you for the program 02M01 IF your VIN number is listed, this is how it is written on my service order:

02M01B Retrieve one or more of the following Continuous DTC, P1400, P1401, P0401 or P0402.

After looking at it after they replaced it, on my 4.2 it is about the size of a credit card and about 3/8” thick. Has a connector going to it. So if you suspect you have a bad DPFE and do not qualify for the program, or past the mileage I would say this is an easy repair. It only took the service tech about 15 minutes to replace, clear the codes etc. I do not know the price but would think not more then $40, I could by way off on cost, but by the looks of it not anything major.

SYMPTONS I had with the P0402 (EGR excessive flow):

Some slight pinging at times.

Other then that no noticeable performance difference and I got the same fuel mileage.

It might be a good preventive measure if you have a truck from 2000 or 2001 to call your dealer and ask if they will run your VIN to see if you qualify before your time or mileage is up. I don’t know if they would replace it if you don’t have a code but it won’t hurt to ask.

Hope that might help any others that may run across this problem…

Quick Reply: THANK YOU... Please READ!!!