Royal Purple synthetic, Comments?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 04:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Royal Purple synthetic, Comments?

Sorry to do this to you folks and start another thread on oil. But, my curiosity on peoples experience with royal purple or opinion about it.

What I have read on it has been possative. I'm thinking of using in my 2001 supercrew 4.6 also in the transmission and rear end.

apparently Hot rod magazine had done tests on it them selves to see if it really does add horsepower and mpg. That it did.

Opinions?

skip

Old 08-10-2003, 10:15 AM
Best place for Oil info is www.bobistheoilguy.com The posters on that board are obsessed with oil. I have used Royal Purple in the past, here in Fort Worth it is about $1 more a quart than Mobil 1. Since I change my oil at 5k I dont see any reason for paying the extra $1 and going out of my way to find it.

Old 08-10-2003, 12:25 PM
Re: Royal Purple synthetic, Comments?

Originally posted by skipster
Sorry to do this to you folks and start another thread on oil. But, my curiosity on peoples experience with royal purple or opinion about it.

What I have read on it has been possative. I'm thinking of using in my 2001 supercrew 4.6 also in the transmission and rear end.

apparently Hot rod magazine had done tests on it them selves to see if it really does add horsepower and mpg. That it did.

Opinions?

skip
If you're buying it to add horsepower, then save your money. Royal Purple is a good quality synthetic oil, but you can get just as good as results by using a high quality dino oil (Chevron, Castrol) and changing your oil at around 3,000 to 4,000 miles with a good quality filter. People say they spend the money on RP or Mobil 1 for peace of mind, so if you fit into that category, then go for it. If I were to go to a synthetic, I would at least expect to double the drain intervals, otherwise I see no real advantage. Do a search on member "labnerd", as he has some very useful information on oils.

Old 08-10-2003, 01:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
For the most part Royal Purple is a good synthetic oil, and that is not questioned. What is questioned is that the oil analysis from real examples have not been up to the expectations that you would have of an oil of that price and quality.

The results are good, just not good enough.

Old 08-10-2003, 07:43 PM
Maxtorque02 said:
If you're buying it to add horsepower, then save your money. Royal Purple is a good quality synthetic oil, but you can get just as good as results by using a high quality dino oil (Chevron, Castrol) and changing your oil at around 3,000 to 4,000 miles with a good quality filter. People say they spend the money on RP or Mobil 1 for peace of mind, so if you fit into that category, then go for it. If I were to go to a synthetic, I would at least expect to double the drain intervals, otherwise I see no real advantage. Do a search on member "labnerd", as he has some very useful information on oils.

Howdy folks, New to the forum, but not new to this thread, as I have a Jetta TDI (along with my F350 TD) and on that forum they talk about oil ad-nauseum, but I wanted to add my two cents anyway.

There certainly is a very good reason to use a Non-petroleum base synthetic (such as Redline, RP, Motrlube, or some of Amsoil's products) in any engine and that is the absence of the petroleum base. regular oils, incuding "synthetic" oils such as Mobil1 start out as a petroleum product; the only difference is the addition of synthetic additives that try to counteract dino oil's tendency to break down sooner (and more completely) under the hell a combustion engine raises under normal operation. with a product such as Mobil1, once the synthetic additives are broken down, all you have is a dino oil, with all of it's inherent disadvantages such as increased friction and a reduced ability to control carbon build-up in egr-equipped vehicles (this is extremely important in diesels with their much higher particulate levels and consequent increased tendancy to "soot up" an EGR valve vs. gas engines).

Full synthetics are based on a polyalphaolefin polymer configuration-one whose molecular construction contains about 4000 carbon atoms vs. dino oil's 30 carbon atom molecular construction. This difference makes a full synthetic much more adherent to the engine's internals and much more stable and durable under use. Life of a full synthetic can be 10 times that of a dino based oil or greater.

When I changed all of my vehicles (some 6 including my wife's) two years ago from Mobil 1 to Motrlube I saw an immediate avg increase of 1 mpg across the board. This is probably because of reduced friction/drag=added horsepower, which is why putting an electric fan or underdrive pulleys on an engine can free up 10hp or more. the biggest improvement came on my 89 F150 with a 4.9 I6 (with 165K on it)and 4sp man trans. when using mobile1 (which I used in it since 95) at anything over 3,200 rpm the motor vibrated like a 50 cent bed in a roach motel. when I put the motrlube in all vibration disappeared up through 4,500 rpm (which is akin to nuclear detonation on this motor) and I got 1.5 MPG to boot. As for drain intervals I am at 15k with two filter changes for my gas cars and 10k for my diesels with one filter change. at the most recent oil change I sent an oil sample from each vehicle to a fluid testing lab (about $20 to do per vehicle, but it's kinda cool to see how different oils hold up, or don't) and all came back at 95% or greater life left. Interestingly, I also sent off some Castrol syntec from a neighbor's car. It came back at 3000k miles with only 15% of its life left. For me that's enough proof to never go back. Cost wise the stuff cost about $10/quart, which means I break even on my diesels and save money on the gas ones, with improved performance to top it off. I hope this sheads some light on the subject.

Cheers,

E Double

Last edited by E Double; 08-10-2003 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Both Mobil 1 and Royal Purple are full true synthetic oils.

Old 08-10-2003, 11:39 PM
I never said that Royal Purple wasn't a true synthetic, only Mobil1. After digging around the Mobil site it has come to my attention that mobil1 is indeed a full synthetic. I am currently in the process of falling upon my sword, rest assured. Unfortunately this leads me to wonder why the hell mobil doesn't just use the same formulation as their Delvac Synthetic, Something alot of folks with diesels use because of its enhanced capabilities vs. mobil1. While I still saw an improvement mpg wise using Motrlube versus Delvac (was using in my TDI for a year) The previous owner (a neighbor) was using Mobil1. for the first 6 months I had the car I kept mobil1 in it. After having to clean the EGR valve twice in this time I switched to Delvac, as folks on the TDI forum raved about it. after the change, no more coking up of the EGR valve. This has continued with Motrlube. I swithced here because its easier to have one kind of oil sitting around the garage. Adendum: Done, and Done.

Cheers,

Dennis

Old 08-11-2003, 09:06 AM
I use Royal Purple in my manual transmission and differential ...

Old 08-11-2003, 10:54 AM
The speedshop (Outrageous Performance, Jackson, NJ) that will be building the motor for my 95 T bird (Twin turbo SOHC 4.6 Modular bumped to 5.0L) Swears by the stuff, especially for turbo applications. Dwayne, the owner says it handles the heat from the turbine better and also keeps the turbo bearings better lubricated, something I'd expect from other well made full synthetics also. I currently use Redline lubricants for the transmissions and differentials in my vehicles (Motrlube only makes engine oil) and it seems to really help shifting in my manual transmission in my f150 in cold weather (below 20*F) where it used to be a bear.

Cheers,

Dennis

Old 08-11-2003, 10:59 AM
To 01 XLT Sport: I just noticed how many posts you've put to this forum in little over a year. My god man, do you live here?

Cheers,

Dennis

Old 08-11-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by E Double
To 01 XLT Sport: I just noticed how many posts you've put to this forum in little over a year. My god man, do you live here?

Cheers,

Dennis
Just visiting, you have anything to eat?

Old 08-12-2003, 02:27 AM
I run RP in my engine and tranny....runs good...didnt notice a HP gain but its just a little insurance for my peace of mind....

Old 08-13-2003, 02:59 AM
In my 01 F-150 (4.6L) I used nothing but Red Line fluids. Talk about price...Red Line is the most expensive stuff I've seen, except for the exotics (Ferrari oil, etc.). The stuff is close to $8 per qrt. As for the benifits...well, If you are racing, I could see using it, but for driving in city/freeway applications, I don't feel that there is much difference between Red Line and Mobil 1. Both will get you there at the 5,000 mile interval with no difference.

I decided to run nothing but Mobil 1 (A true PAO Synthetic, unlike Amsoil XL7500 series, castrol syntec, etc.) in my new Mustang GT. I'm going to be changing the oil every 3,000 miles, and I've decided to use the FL-820S filters.

The tranny is another story. I'm using Red Line's D4 ATF, which is far superior to Motorcraft's ATF and just about any other tranny fluid. The difference was noticable.

Summary, there is not much difference between Mobil 1, Red Line and Amsoil at the regular scheduled intervals. Amsoil buys a majority of it's PAO basestock (XL2000 series) from EXXON/MOBIL, Red Line's basestock has some PAO's in it, too. It is a fallacy to think that Red Line is a pure Ester basestock.

Old 08-13-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by mf150

Summary, there is not much difference between Mobil 1, Red Line and Amsoil at the regular scheduled intervals. Amsoil buys a majority of it's PAO basestock (XL2000 series) from EXXON/MOBIL,
Do you know what your talking about??

Old 08-13-2003, 04:41 PM
I choose Amsoil

The Company of Firsts
AMSOIL has a documented history of innovation and leadership.

First to develop an API-rated 100 percent synthetic motor oil.
First to introduce the concept of "extended drain intervals" with a recommended 25,000-mile/1-year drain interval.
First U.S. company to utilize the NOACK volatility test as a standard of performance excellence.
First to produce synthetic motor oils for diesel engines, racing engines, turbo and marine engines.
First to introduce synthetic oils that legitimately contribute to improving fuel efficiency.
First to manufacture synthetic gear lube for automotive use.
First to manufacture a 100:1 pre-mix synthetic 2-cycle oil.
First to manufacture a synthetic automatic transmission fluid for automotive use.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple synthetic, Comments?