What does the EGR do???

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does the EGR do???

My "service engine soon" light came on, and i took it up to Auto Zone and they said it was my EGR valve, Do I have to take it somewhere or is it something i can replace myself?? What does tHe EGR valve do???

HELP WES

Old 07-14-2003, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Essentially, it puts exhaust gas back into the intake manifold, to reduce emissions (some of the pollutants get 'burned' again and it leans the mixture out).

Haven't replaced mine yet, but it should be a do it yourself job.

Old 07-14-2003, 05:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dave is mostly right. The EGR dilutes the intake charge with exhaust. This lowers the combustion temperature. This makes the engine less prone to pinging and lowers the NOX (oxides of nitrogen) emissions. It only opens at part throttle cruise. It is closed at WOT and idle.

The modular Fords have two common EGR problems. These cost little to nothing to fix.

1. Low EGR flow. This is caused by carbon in the passage from the EGR to the intake. It usually codes as low EGR flow. Remove the EGR throttle body and plenum and clean the passage.

2. The vacuum hoses near the battery box crack/leak. This can code as EGR flow out of range. Fix the leak and you are back in business.

A few here have had problems with the DFPE sensor. It is a pressure sensor that tells the computer that the EGR is open. Check the other two first and search this forum for EGR. You will find lots of information.

Quick Reply: What does the EGR do???