dual fuel tanks

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dual fuel tanks

When my truck is running on the front fuel tank everything OK. When I switch to the rear tank it sputters and stalls. Here is my question: I beleive that both tanks share the same in line filter....... is there an additional filter inside each tank. If not.......... would blowing out the fuel lines with compressed air help??

Old 07-14-2003, 07:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

kennyb -

My father has a '89 F-150 with the dual tank set-up. His was not working properly either and this is what we found:

There is a separate fuel pump for each tank. His 2nd tank was all rusted up and corroded, so we replaced the entire assembly (fuel pump, pick up, gauge sending unit, in-tank filter). I think it was about $114 at Advance Auto Parts.

There is a valve that switches between the 2 tanks. That valve was also bad. I think it was about $25 at Advance as well.

If your tanks are like his, they were full of dirt and junk and rusted as well. We dropped each tank, flushed them out with a water and muriatic acid mix, used small quartz rock gravel inside with the water/acid mix to scrape the insides shiny smooth and then took them to a local shop who coated the insides to prevent further rusting.

Re-installed the whole shootin' match and everything works perfectly.

BTW, keep your gas tank full any time you plan on letting the truck set for any length of time. This will help keep corrosion to a minimum.

Hope this helps...

BTW, if you ask for help, it makes it easier for everyone if you post a little info about your truck as well.

Quick Reply: dual fuel tanks