Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine

I own a 1998 F150 ex-cab. It has been a great truck for me but I have started to notice some ticking noises from time to time coming from the engine. I always change my own oil, (3000 mi), and only have 38000 miles on it. It has the dreaded 4.2l engine but it has never used oil and no leaks of any kind. I read some of the posts that say something about an injector making noise. Any ideas on how to verify that's what it is? I do not hear the noise at idle or every time I drive it. It is not loud but I do notice it.
I also seem to go thru spells when if I leave the truck set for a couple days it seems to knock when I first start it, like the oil has drained down. The knock goes away within1-2 sec. does any one else have this with their ford truck?

Old 06-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Hi-

If you can hear the noise from the top of the engine, with the hood open, then it is probably the fuel injectors. The noise is a rythmic clicking. Some injectors get pretty noisy, so you may want to run a good fuel system cleaner like Red Line SI-1 (http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/si1ti.htm) or Chevron Techron. I use the first one.

If the noise is most audible from the lower section of the truck (front wheel well area) and sounds like a lifter noise, you may have something else. I have this condition almost all the time, and although there are no performance problems related to the noise, the noise is irritating. No-one has been able for sure to determine what the noise is from. Guess have included: piston slap, bad cats., trans bell housing noise amplification, the anti-drainback valve on our oil filters, etc.

If you are not having any performance issues related to the noise, join the club and help us find out the reason. To my knowledge no-one has come back with a positive diagnosis from Ford.

As for the noise at start-up, after sitting a few days, that could simply be you oil filter not doing its job. The Motorcraft FL-820S has a silicone antidrainback valve that prevents the unfiltered oil from seeping back into the engine. This also prevents "dry starts," which certainly would cause a noise for a few seconds after cold start. The way to avoid this is by using a quality oil filter.
I use the FL-820S (Purolator gold) and haven't had that problem. Others use K&N oil filters, Wix, and Mobil 1. You can get away with using anything that does not have cardboard endcaps and a cardboard anti-drainback valve.

Sorry to be vague. I hope this info hels out a little. I'm sure others will stop by and give you their own opinion.

G. Luck

-Matt

PS- The 4.2L is a good engine!

Last edited by mf150; 06-03-2003 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I saw one post here where the clicking was coming from the belt. He put a gator belt on and the noise went away.

Old 06-04-2003, 12:14 AM
Clicking and squeeling are cure by the Gatorback! Long live the Gatorback! Yeah!!

Quick Reply: Engine