Paper air filter v. oiled for intake system

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paper air filter v. oiled for intake system

I was wondering, what would be the harm in using a high flow paper filter in an intake (FIPK type) rather than an oil type? I have been fidgetting with my intake the past week, thus I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject.

I use a Baldwin air filter (paper) from what I have read, the flow is almost in K&N range. I know some will use the 'K&N' is bigger, thus more air arguement. However, I also read, I don't know if it was on this forum, bob is the oil guy forum, or the other ford truck forum, that tests have been done proving that the bigger filters actually decrease power and mileage.

In my case, I have plumbed the intake to not only intake more air but cooler air as well. This way, I did not have to do the experiment to find out, which is better, more air, or cooler air. I got both. (cooler than the engine compartment anyway.) Sucking it up 10" from the asphalt when it's 105 outside, may be just as bad.

Anyway, the point to this rambling question is, why can't I just buy the Baldwin paper filter every few months, or use my compressor to blow it out, rather than spend a bunch on a K&N, that I will have to clean, reoil etc. Especially since some studies show the two flowing almost equal amounts of air.

Thanks for any input.

Old 05-31-2003, 09:12 PM
well this is my opinion. Lets say for arguements sake that both filters provide same airflow and filtration. Ive heard it argued that the K&N flows more but filters less, and ive heard that it filters better but lets just say its equal. So you replace your paper filter what. . .every 10 k or so? and the filter is like 20 bucks. Meanwhile a K&N is about 50 bucks, and it lasts 1 million miles (minus the cleanings, granted). Doing the math there, your gonna end up with a better deal overall.

Personally, i tend to believe that the cotton type filters filter better and flow more air than almost any paper filter leaving the performance choice obvious. Also i think you misread about larger filters being worse, i can't believe there could be any truth to that. JMO.

Old 05-31-2003, 11:28 PM
Good points. However, I can get the paper filter a lot cheaper than $20.00, less than half that actually. That kind of negates the cost issue, after the necessary oils, soaps etc. that are needed for the cotton filter.

I will find that result and post the link. I read it just 2-3 days ago. They said that the larger filter actually reduced power over the standard size filter. It tested the gauze/cotton filter over the better paper types. The result was that there was really not much difference, except that the larger, supposedly higher flow/ "high performance" filters were doing little more than making noise. Which in order to hear, you have push the go pedal, that gives the perception that the truck is faster. Because you spend more time in the throttle. Something to that effect. I'll find it.

Originally though, I was just wondering why everyone was buying the $50.00 cloth filter, if the $6.00 paper filter tested to be just as good (flow rate and amount.) I thought I may have missed something, like the paper couldn't be exposed or something. Thanks .......//AG

Old 05-31-2003, 11:56 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Using the K&N will cause the Si level (dirt) in the oil analysis to go up 2-3 and even 4 times higher than a paper filter. There are some K&N filters that have up to 200 micron holes in the gauze, 40 micron will cause damage to the engine. Of course K&N's response is that the oil causes polarity and will attract the dirt- yeah-right! I don't recommend them. If you want a cleanable air filter, use the Amzoil foam. It does a much better job at filtering and has great air flow characteristics. MSparks should be able to fix you up with one if you want one. Also, most people over clean their filters. They should be cleaned at 20-25,000 mile intervals depending on the road environment, not at ever oil change.

Old 06-01-2003, 12:23 AM
Labnerd-

Hey dude! I inquired recently about the K&N product (FIPK2) regarding the passability of small (micron size) particles. I'll post what they sent me. Their response was quite detailed, but I will wait to see what you say about the numbers. I'll post it tomorrow when I have time to scrounge up the material (it's burried in my compter's archives somewhere. As for the K&N product, I think they use them on off roading vehicles. And, I haven't heard of one causing an engine damage, but we'll see.

Talk to ya soon.

-matt

Old 06-03-2003, 10:05 PM
Here is one:

http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm#WORD

I have others, too, directly from Lisa Sutton.

Quick Reply: Paper air filter v. oiled for intake system