Ok,Its not an F150 but how do you change the tranny oil and filter on a 2002 Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ok,Its not an F150 but how do you change the tranny oil and filter on a 2002 Explorer

Trying to do service on a buddys Explorer and it doesn't even have a tranny dip stick,whats up with this stunt? Need to drain and refil and chg filter,anyone know for sure ?
Thanks

Old 05-11-2003, 12:29 PM
I,ve got an '03(actually mamas)...you might go over to www.fordexplorer.net and ask there...if you find out let me know

Old 05-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe I read that they were sealed transmissions and never need servicing. This has some merit as Ford can control what fluid gets installed, the filter quality and level. They may be able to ensure a given level of performance and lifespan. That said, I also think that proper servicing will extend the life of any transmission.

I work on Gulfstream GV aircraft, they have a device mounted on the engine that is in effect an automatic transmission. It drives the generator at 400 hertz no matter what the engine rpm is. It is called an IDG (integretad drive generator). The unit originally required no service (HMMM), and guess what? They started failing, so now we are required to service them with 1.5 quarts of fresh oil every month! That solved the problems.

Chris

Old 05-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Re: Ok,Its not an F150 but how do you change the tranny oil and filter on a 2002 Explorer

Originally posted by rangerr91
Trying to do service on a buddys Explorer and it doesn't even have a tranny dip stick,whats up with this stunt? Need to drain and refil and chg filter,anyone know for sure ?
Thanks
On your explorer transmission you need to flush it through the trans cooler lines it takes a speacial machine to do the job. By the way how many miles does it have?

Quick Reply: Ok,Its not an F150 but how do you change the tranny oil and filter on a 2002 Explorer