Old 04-13-2015, 12:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Do you need to fix a spark plug blow out? Forum members suggest various methods to fix the problem. The methods include:

Read the full discussion below to find out the preferred methods.
        Print Wikipost

living with ford spark plug blow out problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 11:46 PM
        Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
        anybody know if the ext warranty (by ford) covers this

John

Old 03-06-2004, 12:13 AM
        anybody???

Old 03-13-2004, 07:04 AM
        anybody know if the ext warranty (by ford) covers this

Hi je3169,

read page 5 post#12 name-> beomanj then
        Click here and read: extended warranty ?

Last edited by syncmaster; 03-13-2004 at 07:16 AM.
        Old 03-14-2004, 08:14 PM
        Thanks for the reply

John

Old 03-18-2004, 10:46 PM
        If anyone has had this happen and doesn't have to money for repairs, this might be a cheaper option. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2467798527

No, I am not the person selling these, they just seemed like a hell of a deal.

Old 05-08-2004, 09:57 AM
        Greetings to all members new and old.
        It's been a while since I've posted anything here, but is ALWAYS the First place I turn to with any questions reguarding my SuperCrew!
        I am now joining the long list of spark-plug-launching 5.4 owners!
        About 4 days ago, while driving to work (FORD assembly plant ) the truck was driving just fine. No misses, no tapping, nothing out of the ordinary. 70 mph w/cruise control on down the highway.
        The loud bang and the lawnmower sounding engine noise, and constant vibration. Luckily I was only about 1/2 mile from work, and made it there in one piece.
        On inspecting the engine, the third C.O.P. was hanging by the wire and the spark plug was lying on top of the engine.
        On taking it to the dealer the next morning it was checked and the mechanic told me " Yep, it's the "INFAMOUS" #3 plug"....and " You have 2 options."
        1. $3500 - head replpacement w/ NO guarantee.
        2, $5500 - rebuilt engine w/ 3 yr/ 36000 mi guarantee.

I declined both offers and had the car towed home. Called the cutomer service number and also recieved the same " No recall. no TSP, NOT a KNOWN-ISSUE response from the Co. Representative.
        I did a few long searches on this and other sites and have decided to try the Time-Sert repair.
        My main concerns now are should I try it with the head ON or OFF of the engine. ( still reviewing my options)
        JUst for the record, as stated earlier, the conditions at the time of occurance were:

1. no unusual sounds coming from engine
        2. Driving at constant speed ( 70 mph w/ cruise control on

The plugs that are in the truck are the Bosch Platinum +4's Changed at about 40,000 miles. they have been checked periodically ( every other oil change ) and found none loose.
        The truck NOW has 106,000 miles and was due for oil change in about 2 weeks. I had also been concidering a plug change because of the milage. ( 66,000 mile on the Bosch plugs)
        I could gladly keep anyone posted on my luck w/the time-sert repair. It seems worth it if a $7.95 repair can avoid a $3000 - $5000 repair option that the dealer was pushing on me.

Old 05-08-2004, 11:00 AM
        you can do it with the head on quite easy. just make sure the piston in not at the top of the stroke and you use some grease on the reamer and tap to catch the chips. it only took me an hour to repair the plug hole

Old 05-08-2004, 01:31 PM
        Hello all,
        It has been a while since I have had to post anything about blowing a spark plug, But yes driving down the road minding my own business and POP. Blew the 2nd one back on passenger side. At least I am not startled or shocked anymore since I blew the 3rd back on the drivers side 1.5 years ago. Hell, I didn't even pull over and look under the hood ! I am getting really good at this!
        I decided to heed my own advise and install the the TIME BIG-SERT in all the spark plug holes. And for my friends on the F150 forum I documented it.
        here is the link installing the steel insert BIG-SERT in ford van

This link is a free site so some times they limit the amount of traffic, so you may have to try again later . Also, there are alot of pictures so it will take 1 or 2 min to load.

Have fun !

Last edited by syncmaster; 05-20-2004 at 05:18 AM.
        Old 05-15-2004, 10:14 AM
        syncmaster - Thank's very much for your time and energy involved in the Time-sert installation post!
        VERY detailed, step-by-step instructions. I've printed out all of the instructions w/pics and purchased all of the items that you listed - ( the right-angle driver must have been on sale, because it was listed at $89.99 but rang up at $69.99 last night when purchased at Sears. )

With all of your directions and tools in hand, I think I'm ready to tackle this job.
        My job involves the F-150 and the third plug back on the Passenger side and is under the cowl of the truck, so the copper pipe guide will be useful I'm sure.

In talking to the people at Time Fasteners, they told me that Ford WAS aware of this remedy for the spark-plug problem, but to their knowledge is not even letting people know of this remedy.

As stated in my original post, this is always the FIRST place I turn to with any questions reguarding remedies for problems = And as always the BEST place for first-hand information in resolving them. I can only give credit to informed posters like yourself for MAKING it an excellent source of information!
        Again, Thank you for your time and energy!

Old 05-15-2004, 01:30 PM
        MichScrew,
        Your Welcome !
        If you are going to build the COPPER PIPE GUIDE (I like that, it sounds so professional !) When you cut the 3/4" copper pipe 2" long, make sure you clean out the burr from the pipe cutter. Before you solder the 3/4" pipe to the 3/4" coupling make sure the stop collar on the big-sert reamer tool fits in the pipe. It should just fit through.
        Another thing in my first post of this thread I mention that I heard that you could set a shop vac to blow and hook it to your tail pipe, turn over the engine until the exaust valve is open in the cylinder you want to work on and that would keep the medal chips from falling into the pistion. I tried this.. and because you grease up the big-sert reamer tool as you drill when you get the hole half way drilled the grease and medal chips stop the air from coming out so some medal still falls into the piston and after drilling the hole you still have to vacuume the cylinder for medal shavings. So after doing the first hole I didn't use the vacuum on the tail pipe trick.
        just make sure you do the PISTON CLEARANCE STICK TRICK !

Good Luck and let me know how it goes for you !

Old 05-16-2004, 11:01 AM
        I was thinking... if one is decided to do all 8 plug holes with TimeSert or BigSert... one could start the threads in the inserts at an exact point.
        This could be very useful for indexing the spark plugs as long as you take the plug you use as the model for the thread indexing to the parts store and go through many plugs there to match that plugs' start of thread.

Indexing sparkplugs is a trick for more power by orienting the ground electrode away from the intake valve unshrouding the spark, the gap is exposed to the charge at the intake valve.

Seems like it could be bonus benefit for not a lot of effort if one is going to do all plug seats.

I was thinking... (do you smell something burning?)

Old 05-16-2004, 11:20 AM
        i just looked at my old set of plugs and the electrode is in a different spot compared to the starting thread, so i think it would be a waste of time trying to align the inserts up.
        with the washer style plugs you can get indexing spacers

Old 05-16-2004, 11:40 AM
        Whith all due respect... go back and re read my post, the random thread start issue is addressed.

Old 08-03-2004, 06:13 AM
        here is a link to more info on the spark plug steel inserts. They are offering the standard 5 thread insert or a fully threaded insert(like the new design heads). Given the choice I would install the fully threaded insert.
        When I installed mine they said they had to keep the engine original so the insert could only have the same 5 threads ford designed.

here is the link to the write up:
        http://www.timesert.com/html/ford_sparkplug_faq.html

Last edited by syncmaster; 09-22-2005 at 03:45 PM.
        Old 08-03-2004, 12:18 PM
        JMC
        Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
        Neal the HP freak blew the #1 plug. Actually it did not blow but stripped in the hole. I demonstrated on one of my bare heads and then did his plug hole. We used the grease on the tap trick and removed and cleaned it after every 1½ - 2 turns. We used the Timesert and flipped a 3/8 inch extension over the top of the tap and reamer. I would not want to do the #4 or 8 hole but it could still be done with the head on the engine.

Regards

JMC

Quick Reply: living with ford spark plug blow out problem