Old 04-13-2015, 12:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Do you need to fix a spark plug blow out? Forum members suggest various methods to fix the problem. The methods include:

Read the full discussion below to find out the preferred methods.
        Print Wikipost

living with ford spark plug blow out problem

Old 08-07-2017, 07:06 PM
        Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
        Originally Posted by Bluejay
        Just change the plugs, replace with Motorcraft, torque to 28 ft lbs, no antisieze.
        Thank you, will try that.
        So it doesn't sound too horrible now?

Old 08-25-2017, 08:40 PM
        Im not sure if anyone still goes through this thread, but i figured i would share my experience with this on my 97 F150 5.4 with 285k miles. It started a few weeks ago(which i didnt know until i just fixed it. But the idle would be a little rough like it was missing, but no codes. Well the other morning in the middle of driving it blew off, breaking the screw hole for the coil pack in the process. As a note, considering i am currently broke I thought about just trying to reinstall it. Well today i figured id see if it would actually screw back into place and the threads not be destroyed inside the head. So after cleaning the deposits off around the gap, i removed the fuel rail and put it to the side(it was the rear plug on passenger side) and attempted to screw the plug in and viola it did go in. I set the torque about midway in the range. Stuck the boot and coil pack back on and now it runs smoother than a baby's bottom. Did a check with my Torque Pro android app and bluetooth obd tool and it all runs clear and normal.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:46 PM
        glc
        Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
        You are VERY LUCKY.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:01 PM
        Yeah I dont know how i managed to be that lucky but maybe someone else could try too and be as lucky. Who knows

Old 10-16-2017, 04:07 PM
        What to do

Had a bigsert apparently installed on a f150 I just bought. It just blew out now what?

Attached Thumbnails living with ford spark plug blow out problem-img_20171016_142725998.jpg   living with ford spark plug blow out problem-img_20171016_142721095.jpg   living with ford spark plug blow out problem-img_20171016_142718344.jpg  
        Old 10-16-2017, 04:13 PM
        glc
        If a Bigsert blows out, replace the head.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:10 PM
        Originally Posted by glc
        That seems to be the general consensus. Lather repeat. Lol

Old 10-16-2017, 08:41 PM
        Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
        Originally Posted by Phil150
        .... and attempted to screw the plug in and viola it did go in. I set the torque about midway in the range. Stuck the boot and coil pack back on and now it runs smoother than a baby's bottom. Did a check with my Torque Pro android app and bluetooth obd tool and it all runs clear and normal.
        Originally Posted by glc
        You are VERY LUCKY.
        Not to be the pessimist in the group, but you have only delayed the inevitable. That's verbatim how my first blow went! It'll hold for a while, but it'll be back. Simply suggesting have a plan B. I personally would fix it...ask around how I know :wink:

Luckily my first blow, I was at a motorcycle shop thus had access to tools to fix it right there. When it let go the second and final time, it left me stranded and had to get a tow.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:44 PM
        Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
        Originally Posted by glc
        Originally Posted by James Crow
        That seems to be the general consensus. Lather repeat. Lol
        Typically, but remember, "BigSert" is a TimeSert name/brand/style. I don't know all my heli coil terminology, but if it's an oversized helicoil, it may just depend if a TimeSert BigSert will cut a new thread in the hole or not. If the BigSert kit will cut threads, you're salvageable.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:17 AM
        Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
        Originally Posted by James Crow
        Had a bigsert apparently installed on a f150 I just bought. It just blew out now what?
        That doesn't look like a Bigsert/Timesert, it's some other insert. If it were a Timesert product that had been properly installed, it would not have come out. Timesert's inserts have a very visible "lip" on the plug's mating surface. The photos show a "straight" insert.

Measure the OD of the failed insert. If it's less than .660", the standard Timesert 5553 kit (51459 insert) will repair it. If it's a bit larger, there are alternatives (Timesert 5600/Calvan, etc). You'll have to measure it to know for sure.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 10-17-2017 at 07:38 AM.
        Old 10-22-2017, 08:54 PM
        2008 plug blow by

Hi, I have a 2008 ford F150 with the small V8, 4.6. I was driving along and something started making a pretty loud noise. It seems as though my #3 spark plug is blowing by. It didn't blow out, of if it did the coil is holding it in. I left it and had my wife come get me and I will go back tomorrow with my tools and see for sure what happened. Just wondering if this is fixable? Is it expensive? Hopefully I find that is has maybe just backed out. Didn't drive it very far so maybe it's not bad. The engine has 225000 miles on it, so not sure I want to put a lot of money into fixing it. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

Old 10-22-2017, 09:05 PM
        glc
        Review the whole thread. You may need a Timesert.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:01 PM
        I have a 2001 #6 plug just blew out after a mechanic supposedly changed the plug due to a misfire the plug threads seemed to look ok and the truck has 187xxx miles do you think the head is ok or do I need a insert kit

Old 11-28-2017, 10:36 PM
        glc
        Reinstall it, torque all the plugs to 28 ft/lb. If it blows out again, then you need Timesert.

Old 04-30-2022, 02:07 PM
        Spark Plug Blowout

Hello i am new here and loving all the great info about this issue. Does anyone know has Ford ever addressed the issue or taken any responsibility for the problem that they have created with there serious design flaw? Have they any offered any help or solutions or helped with cost or repairs? Has anyone or as a group tried to try and hold them accountable? I read for someone talked How many of these actually happen and go un mentioned? This is a big enough and wide spread problem that affects so many people that i am sure the complaints would be endless. Why shouldn't they be held accountable maybe even just financial compensation just like any other company or person that puts out a defective and even dangerous product. I know it probably is not a common occurrence but this blow out problems you all have mentioned the blowout could very easily cause a deadly engine fire or explosion. Anyone know of any situations where the blowout had more serious situation.

Thank You

Search this Thread
        Quick Reply: living with ford spark plug blow out problem