Old 04-13-2015, 12:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Do you need to fix a spark plug blow out? Forum members suggest various methods to fix the problem. The methods include:

Read the full discussion below to find out the preferred methods.
        Print Wikipost

living with ford spark plug blow out problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 02:52 PM
        Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
        I have now seen "better change your plugs asap to prevent blow-out"

and...

"if you change your plugs this may lead to blow-out"

I have 53k on my '98 with 4.6.

Do I.....

A: Change plugs now.
        B: Let it go to 100k.
        C: Take this mint truck to the auction and bail out before its too late.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:53 PM
        Hello Dr. Franko,
        Those are tough choices. Mine blew #4 at 72000 after the dealer changed them at 65000 leaving me even tougher and more expensive choices. I need a dependable motor that will not spit a plug whenever it feels like it leaving me stranded 100's or sometimes 1000's of miles from home with horses in a trailer so I had to fix all 8. If yours is just a daily driver you can limp home on 7 cylinders and use a TimeCert to fix it when they blow. The 4.6's seem much better than the 5.4's and may never blow. The uncertainty of it all is a real black eye on "Built Ford Tough". Me personally, knowing what I know now and needing a dependable motor, I would get as much money for it now and get a truck (any truck) with a motor that does not randomly spit out its sparkplugs. My F150 is at 99000mi and certified "Built TimeCert Tough" at a cost of $4000 (total rebuild top end by speedshop).

Old 05-31-2006, 04:10 PM
        Thanks fasterhorses

I have not owned a Ford in 20 years but I really like this truck so far and was happy I bought it instead of a Silverado which was my first choice. However I did not expect to encounter this type of possible maintenance issue. I did a little searching for replacement heads, as a possible back up plan, but have not seen any for the '98 4.6 by aftermarket manufacturers. I believe I could sell the truck right now and make a few bucks over what I paid for it, but I love it!

Old 05-31-2006, 11:39 PM
        Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
        Now that your all freakin parynoid, you should really be objective here and realize that the majority haven't had a plug lossen or blow out.. I have a 98 5.4L w/167k miles and always change the plugs myself , it isn't fun, but it's not that bad either - basic skills and a good day it can be done leasurly. They should be changed every 60k miles regardless. Always use the oem MOTORCRAFT plugs if you don't want any problems. When I went thru misfire issues at one time, I had my plugs in and out of motor quite a bit (trying to pinpoint the fault) never had one lossen or blownout. follow this procedure - always use anti-sieze , it prevents possible leakage and aids in removal the next time. Also Important, use the rubber hose method on install - Just a scrap piece of rubber hose that slides over the plug snuggly - insert and twist the hose until threaded the into the head. I never used a torq wrench and never reefed them in there either - if you choose too then 14lbs is good. I realize this was a manufacturers problem, but human error needs to be accountable as well. If I was to guess I would say at least 80% of f150 owners don't have this problem.

Last edited by jbrew; 05-31-2006 at 11:53 PM.
        Old 06-01-2006, 01:03 AM
        Thank You

Syncmaster,

I don't know if you're still reading this thread. But I want to say "thanks" for taking the time to educate us. I have not had a
        "spit-plug" problem with my '98 4.6L. I'm sure you helped many who did. I really do appreciate you taking the time to show us how to deal with it. That is what this site is all about.

Good Luck Always,

Bill

Old 06-01-2006, 01:16 AM
        I have never even heard of this problem before. You learn a LOT reading these posts, or at least I have.

How big a problem IS this spark plug blowout (I admit that it would be big to those it happens to)???

I have changed plugs on my 1997 F150 w/200K on a 4.6 a couple of times.

This thread almost reads as if it is only a matter of time, not if, but when?

With all the other threads we read in here about changing plugs, and supercharging/turbocharging (which would dramatically increase the comprssion) how could anyone do something like that to a head that is prone to this happening if it is such a problem?

Buy a truck new, go to dealer when time comes and let THEM change out the plugs, and give you the $$ to replace your heads when a plug blows, then put another couple hundred with it, then go getchaself a new motor...

Old 06-01-2006, 12:17 PM
        I found a local Ford dealer who said I should change mine at 60k miles. He said if my truck came from the factory with platinums (1998 4.6) it would be $160 and $200 if it's double platinums.

I am assuming mine will not be double platinums?

Old 06-01-2006, 07:37 PM
        he incident rate is lower that jbrew suggests (we have all of Ford's records) but the absolute number is large. Doesn't Patrick get it right when he says "I admit that it would be big to those it happens to." Unless you have very high skills (and a high tolerance to risk) don't do what jbrew says. Everytime you touch these plugs you weaken the threading.

Don

Old 06-03-2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by DonRicketts
        he incident rate is lower that jbrew suggests (we have all of Ford's records) but the absolute number is large. Doesn't Patrick get it right when he says "I admit that it would be big to those it happens to." Unless you have very high skills (and a high tolerance to risk) don't do what jbrew says. Everytime you touch these plugs you weaken the threading.

Don
        That's a little far fetched , if your truck overheats, if you over torq or if you cross thread your plugs, then off course the threads are weakened if not trashed. The information and procedure I provided is in both Haynes and Chiltons repair manuals. I've been following as outlined in the manuals since 2001 with my first plug change in my 98 5.4L . "Hi Skills"? "Hi tolerence risk"??? Oh brother....Low self esteme, lazyness, lack of cofidence and common sense or you have a leathal reaction to dirt and grease on your hands, these would be good reasons not to change your own spark plugs. Follow the procedure as stated and you'll be alright.

Last edited by jbrew; 06-03-2006 at 05:02 PM.
        Old 06-05-2006, 12:26 AM
        Hello jbrew,
        You wrote: "Follow the procedure as stated and you'll be alright." How I wish you were right, I would be $4000 richer. It turns out that not even Ford's skilled techs can always change these plugs and come out all right. Read a few of these (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...ord_spark.html) and discover how lucky and skillful you have been.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by fasterhorses
        Hello jbrew,
        You wrote: "Follow the procedure as stated and you'll be alright." How I wish you were right, I would be $4000 richer. It turns out that not even Ford's skilled techs can always change these plugs and come out all right. Read a few of these (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...ord_spark.html) and discover how lucky and skillful you have been.

See, even more reason why you should do it yourself, holy cow!! I'm not that lucky at all - could prove that, but i'll spare you all lol .

Old 06-05-2006, 05:04 AM
        Angry

After reading all these posts and other information/links that are included, it appears that this problem can happen to any '97 and newer Ford 4.6, 5.4, or V10 motor on any Ford vehicle, is this correct?

ORIGINALLY I was not clear whether this problem has been fixed by Ford, but I understand it only to apply to 1997-2003, and that it has been fixed for 2004 and later models Ford V-8's. Is THAT correct?

Maybe it is not frequent (in terms of %age of total vehicles, but there HAVE to be a lot of them as many vehicles as there are with these motors, and on many vehicles it seems to have happened more than once), but it appears that it could happen to ANY vehicle, and that we are lucky if it does/has not happen to you/us, and SCREWED if it does/has, and "totally on your own" as far as Ford is concerned. It appears to be much more prevalent than they want us to know about.

I read SOMETHING about an insurance policy that could be bought just to cover this problem and expense, but now I can't even find what I saw when I was surfing, I forgot to "save" the link.

I HAVE a 1997 F150 with 201K. and I have had 4 new Ford vehicles since 1997, so I HAVE been one of the lucky ones (so far) to not have the problem, but am seriously wondering if I want to push my luck again. The next V8 I buy COULD have the problem, and it would be MY fault if I bought a truck knowing that going in, and it then happened to me. I don't know whether I am willing to "roll the dice, $3K or nothing" and take that chance. If I buy a Ford knowing this, and it happens to me, then it is MY fault, and I cannot blame anyone else besides me.

I also think a LOT less of any Company (in this case - Ford) that would sit by and do absolutely NOTHING about it.

We are told to "Buy American", and we hear about "Built Ford Tough", but after all I hear and read over the past couple of days all I believe Ford to be saying (unless there is information that I am not aware of) is "Screw you!" and I do not mean supercrew.

I am SERIOUSLY reconsidering whether I would be willing to buy any vehicle with a motor that this could happen to, or if I would even buy a new vehicle from a Company that chooses to ignore the problem and do nothing about it. I would never treat my customers that way, and I for one don't believe that Ford should be allowed to get away with it.

Is there ANY way to protest this to Ford in a way they they would hear us. Even if we have not had the problem - yet, we can protest for the one's of us who HAVE been screwed by Ford?

What is the use of a blippin "bumper-to bumper" warranty, especially a 100K entended warranty if this is not covered at all by Ford? If it IS covered, who would buy a Triton motor without it, and if so that would scream "revenue generator" to me for Ford to use to upsell to extended warranties ?????

Last edited by Patrick@hmsga; 06-05-2006 at 05:40 AM.
        Old 06-05-2006, 07:26 PM

This is rediculess- Patrick, your not one of the lucky ones..... Your in the majority.. Your in the 95% or better who don't have the problem.. Mann, how things get blown out of proportion. Granted 5% of the of the Ford truck owners who may encounter this problem is enough to create havoc - as this thread proves. Aluminum heads and lack of knowhow and carlessness (most likley the number one reason) IS the culprit here. The manufacturer will do the consumer right when it makes a mistake, they have in the past. This pissing and moaning tics me off.. I've read the investigation's and some complaints, when it comes right down to it , it's sensless bitching- look at the freakin statistics, what the hell, buy something else then and leave Fords alone, there always going to be on top because of there product.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:49 PM
        Originally Posted by jbrew
        This is rediculess- Patrick, your not one of the lucky ones..... Your in the majority.. Your in the 95% or better who don't have the problem.. Mann, how things get blown out of proportion. Granted 5% of the of the Ford truck owners who may encounter this problem is enough to create havoc - as this thread proves. Aluminum heads and lack of knowhow and carlessness (most likley the number one reason) IS the culprit here. The manufacturer will do the consumer right when it makes a mistake, they have in the past. This pissing and moaning tics me off.. I've read the investigation's and some complaints, when it comes right down to it , it's sensless bitching- look at the freakin statistics, what the hell, buy something else then and leave Fords alone, there always going to be on top because of there product.
        Don't want to hurt yor feelings but you are full of ****, ford won't do the right thing that is why people are bitching and after this year they won't be on top, hell you are in Michigan go to blue oval news and read the posts from the ford auto workers a real education, unless of course you are one

Old 06-05-2006, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by blackf-150
        Don't want to hurt yor feelings but you are full of ****, ford won't do the right thing that is why people are bitching and after this year they won't be on top, hell you are in Michigan go to blue oval news and read the posts from the ford auto workers a real education, unless of course you are one
        I don't think it's feelings, well maybe it is , hell I don't know!!! It's just , this is the only time I've herd of this happening, on here. I've had my 98 5.4L 4x4 since new - I've had the motor replaced in 2000 because I had it serviced under warrenty and the technition or mechanic failed put oil back into my motor after draining it. I didn't go far... Even they can be careless, this I know, they can strip out plug holes just the same as the ordinairy Joe. I guess that is my beef.

Never hurd of Blue oval news, but I will look it up..Not a Ford worker- I'm an operating engineer , worked on there new test track in 2005 - There inline parabolic @ the proving grounds (Dearborn) . Not employed by Ford Motor. Seen some neat stuff inside though lol

Quick Reply: living with ford spark plug blow out problem