headers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headers worth it?

i have a 2000 4x4 extended cab with a 4.6 and a 5spd. i am looking for any mods that will increase the driveability, and fuel economy of my truck, i have put a nice exhaust system on it, it had a k&n fipk on it when i bought it, nad i have removed the annoying, piece of junk throttle body spacer, i plan on getting underdrive pullies in the near future, and am going to look at electric fans. my question is, are headers going to help me, i dont wrap my truck out to high rpms, my truck rarely sees the high side of 3,000. i dont want to spend $500 and half a day on something that i wont see the benifits of the way i drive. i am looking for torque as much as anything becasue i occasionally have to pull a trailer that is "HEAVY" to say the least. i am considering maybe a chip, but i dont want to have to burn premium fuel

Old 01-05-2003, 11:52 PM
Everything I have seen says the combination of intake, chip, and dual exhaust will give great performance benefits. I know that if I do a dual exhaust it will include headers, I believe they are well worth the money.

Old 01-06-2003, 01:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out the pace setter headers from JCWhitney. That's what I put on, and the gain isn't bad for the price. Flow is good, but I've had some problems fitting the EGR tube. Stick with something at or less than 1.5" for each tube if you want low end. Anything above that is better for high end power.

-Flea

Old 01-07-2003, 08:00 PM
what size are the primary tubes for the pacesetters? this is a 4.6 motor and not a pushrod motor, i didnt know pacesetter made headers for the new motors

Old 01-08-2003, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe that the primary size for each tube is 1.25", which gives it a nice, balanced performance gain for the money. I've got the 5.4L in my truck, so I know they make them for the modular motors.

-Flea

Quick Reply: headers worth it?