injector cleaner-when/should I

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question injector cleaner-when/should I

I did a search and some foks were getting pinging. I have never heard a single ping or detonation from my ingine. I run 91 octane with the chip because that's all I can get atb the regular gas stations around here. I also havn't noticed and power loss or stumbling/missing. Some folks run injector cleaner at every oil change. Should I be doing that? BTW I have 21K on the odometer.

Thanks.

Old 12-28-2002, 02:41 AM
I get 4 packs of Chevron techron fuel injector cleaner pretty cheap at Costco. I run 2 bottles with a full tank thru when I get my oil changed.

Old 12-28-2002, 11:16 AM
I run a bottle of walmart supertech injector cleaner through my vehicles every other oil change. To do it every oil change is overkill in my book, but it can't hurt any.

-Brian

Old 12-28-2002, 11:46 AM
Well Mine is 98 f150, 4.6 and 47k

Just wait till you get a few more miles on it and start to get the dreaded ping, heh.

I just figure it's cheap maintenance. If I do it when I get my oil changed then that way I'll remember.

Old 12-28-2002, 11:49 AM
my 98 4.6 started pinging a couple years ago around 33,000--now its 51,000. I run chevron about 200 miles before an oil change and i usually run it a little richer in my gas then reccomended. I also clean my MAF sensor every now and then and i havnt had pings even in cold weather in a while.

Old 12-28-2002, 02:57 PM
I've got a 30 gallon tank and the Chevron treats 15 gals so I use two bottles at fillup and run the whole tank down till I get a low fuel light.

Green98 - Good to hear you got the ping under control, heh. That's a good idea you have to run the cleaner on the tank before the oil change. I'm gonna try that.

Old 12-28-2002, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. Not that I am digging but I would like to use the "If it ain't broke" philosophy if possible. I have been an equipment maintenance tech (semiconductors) for 10 years so I know how important PM's can be.

Just to get more input, does anyone know of a downside to using this stuff? My truck has performed flawlessly so far and I'd hate to mess it up now if you know what I mean.

Old 12-29-2002, 11:44 AM
cleaner

I am not sure if that stuff works all that well. I guess for preventative maintenance its good. I use it about every oil change as well.....gumout FI cleaner. I recently had a prob with y truck....seemed like it ran out of power...and it was an all of a suddent thing..still scratched the tires...but it was a dog. I had my mechanic pull the fuel injectors and fuel rails and every one was plugged to the point where he didnt see how it ran. Don't know if that was one tank of bad fuel or 107k miles of fillups. Either way....i guess the point is, fuel injector cleaner is ok, but every now and then you shoud have those injectors checked out and cleaned professionally and use the FI cleaner for maintenance.

Quick Reply: injector cleaner-when/should I