What to expect from the chip

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to expect from the chip

Hello fellow 4.2 owners.

I will hopefully be contacting Mike in the next few days to purchase my superchip for my 99 4.2. I have continually seen that it adds aprox. 31 ft/lb of torque and around 15-20 hp. These numbers sound great considering price of only 225. I suspect that this increase should be easily felt. Here is my question to those of you who have chipped already.

I recently raced a 5.4L 01 ext cab auto with 3.55. My truck is a 4.2 regcab auto with 3.55. The 5.4 jumped out to about half a truck length on the start, once my engine got going it stayed right there , 1/2 a truck length back until about 80 where the 5.4 slowly started pulling away. With the extra power and better shifting from the chip how would my truck have done/will do when i get to race this truck again. I have done pwr/weight calcs. and I believe I should still be slower off line but I should pull a little on the 5.4 until 80 where I will either stay the same or 5.4 will slowly pull on me. What you guys think?

Old 08-23-2002, 08:08 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
16rwhp and 12rwtq at peak 18rwtq max gain... this on 5spd

well worth it.. had it on 00' auto 4.2 and now the 02' 4.2 5spd...

puts big grin on my face, buy it... no regrets, bye

(installing locker, sorry so short)

Old 08-24-2002, 10:26 AM
The power improvement is very noticeable. I used to drive a hill on the freeway everyday that my stock truck could not maintain 70 mph on without downshifting to 2nd. With only changing the chip, it would hold OD.

The better automatic shifting alone is worth the money - I HATED the stock delayed shifting. With the chip, it shifts like it should have from the factory.

Old 08-24-2002, 09:58 PM
is it gonna be enough to beat the above mentioned extcab 5.4?

Old 08-24-2002, 10:40 PM
Well, the improved shifts alone will gain you far more than 1/2 truck length to 80. However, even if your reg cab V-6 automatic is an XL and you were racing a loaded 5.4 SuperCab XLT, he should have beat you by more than he did if he was an equal driver. Sounds like you caught him snoozing the first time - you might not be so lucky even if you get the chip. JMHO, of course.

Old 08-24-2002, 11:11 PM
sixbanger:

and question for Talleywacker,

First, sixbanger before you decide to buy the chip for $225 superchip just came out with a new micro tuner that you can plug into the OBD port in the truck. From what I understand it allows you to upgrade the program in the truck computer as if you had put the superchip in. It also has the ability to read trouble codes. you can go here to read more about it https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=87839 I believe the cost for it is $325, so basically an extra $100 and you have a code reader. From what I have been told you can also re-program as many times as you want, as in either having the performance program or going back to stock then back to performance.

Talleywacker:

My question for you since you have a 4.2 5-speed is what do you think about the new micro tuner? If you didn't already have a chip would you have bought that instead? thanks for your input.

*****NEVER MIND what I said above. After reading the other post I seen the "except 4.2's" we still have to use the chip , man that sucks as I was about ready to buy it. oh well

Last edited by 01 XLT Sport; 08-24-2002 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-25-2002, 01:22 PM
dirtbike,

I actually have a xlt but the weight between my truck and the 5.4 is still prolly 400-500 lbs. Its my dad's 5.4 and we had lined up even and did a dead start race...so he wasnt sleeping i dont guess. (3 times we raced with same results) Either he has a sluggish 5.4 or ive got a strong 4.2 either way all three times 1/2 a truck too 80 then he could pull it out to a few trucks to 100.

Also my dad raced a v6 02 chevy reg cab and he said it wasnt as strong as my truck......wow is what i said cause i figured the chevy would be faster...

anyway ill find out soon cause im ordering chip monday....gonna put 100-200 miles on the chip before i give it a whirl though.

Trending Topics

Old 08-26-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by sixbanger
. . .Either he has a sluggish 5.4 or ive got a strong 4.2 . . .
I have had the same feeling about mine.

It's no slouch. . .it actually does really good. I've suprised even myself on more than a few occasions. It's a good engine, and when modded correctly, can be a world-class sleeper. Especially on twisty backroads. . .

Later,

---J

Old 08-26-2002, 11:10 AM
Mine...

Mine must just be a dog then, Ive put cats on it and mac air intake, guess ill have to see what happens after I put in a chip.

Old 08-26-2002, 12:48 PM
Better Check First

I think you might want to check, but I'm 95% sure that the micro-tuner is only for V-8's.

Old 08-26-2002, 07:36 PM
Sixbanger,
As an experiment you and your dad could swap trucks and see if the distance still stays only 1/2 length. Sounds like your stock motor runs a lot better than mine did. My truck is a Supercab but is was pretty much a dog stock.

Old 08-26-2002, 08:44 PM
LarryD:

"I think you might want to check, but I'm 95% sure that the micro-tuner is only for V-8's."

Your 100% right, it is ONLY for the V-8's which kind of sucks. hopefully they will develop the software needed to use it on our V-6's. It is only code that is involved as far as upgrading the computer code in our computer. It wouldn't take a whole new micro tuner to do it, just the code inside the micro tuner.

They may just figure they don't have the market for it in order to develop the software needed and spend the money on resources involved. I hope they re-think that and develop something for us V-6's.

Old 08-26-2002, 09:27 PM
yeah, having the ext cab makes a big difference on the v6. That extra weight slows it down big time, glad ive got the reg cab Anyway chip is on its way, will be here wednesday prolly. I will see what happens.

Quick Reply: What to expect from the chip