New Guy with questions looking for answers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New Guy with questions looking for answers.

Hello from Florida. I am not new to cars of Fords but I am new to the new trucks. I have admired them since the new body style and have actually considered going back to Ford from previous bad experiences because of my good impression of the styling. I have been mildly looking at the brand new trucks but I hate payments and I don't want to pay that much cash for any new vehicle. (Not a cheapskate just have better things to do with that much cash...:-)).

I have found a 1997 XL SuperCab with a 4.2 V-6 and automatic transmission. The engine is knocking. I have called some engine builders for crate engine prices and have gotten my best jobber cost of $2099 delivered. I am surprised at the lack of availability of this particular engine.

I am also researching as best I can any known problems and solutions to this engine. I am learning that there seesm to be a high rate of reported rod knocks and head gasket problems. Do you guys concur?

Do you guys have suggestions?

Do you guys have some well earned advice from owning this engine?

Do you guys have any info on how I can maybe renew this engine without going the whole new longblock scenario? Obviously it can be rebuilt. But are there issues concerning this that I need to pay particular attention too?

Is there any known relief being offered by Ford in the form or recalls or acknowledgement of problems with this particular engine?

I think the price is right for the truck, but not if I'm buying nothing but a headache, and not if I'm going to require another $3000 in additional cost just to get it back to being whole again.

Help guys. You are the reasomn I'm here.

Old 03-05-2002, 10:00 AM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
The 4.2s are hard to come by for a reason....they last pretty well. Its really hard to even find cores (I am always looking for them)

There was a prob with the 97-98s leaking coolant into the oil due to a defective front cover gasket. Thats probably what contributed to your 4.2s problem. If the problem wasn't caught right away...you would contaminate the oil with coolant and wipe out the bearings.

The head gaskets are not an issue on any 1996-up 3.8L or 4.2L. They have a triple layered design that is very robust. Mine have held up very well

The 4.2 is fairly easy and cheap to rebuild. Any competent rebuilder should be able to do it for less than $2k.

E-mail me at pcampbe2@ford.com if I can be of any other help....

Old 03-05-2002, 07:04 PM
yep

The only issue that I am aware of for that particular year 4.2 is the front timing cover gasket.Like fordchips said if the truck had this problem coolant got into the oil and the bearing are most likely shot.......

My y2k 4.2 has held up fairly well (knock on wood) for the 1st 25,000 miles. However, I recently noticed that my coolant is slowly dissapearing without a trace and I do get an occasional smell of it when I turn the heater/defrost on.........I am going to have the shop take a look at when I take it in for the next oil change (next week)...Hopefully its nothing major......

Old 03-06-2002, 10:32 PM
Exclamation

The coolant problem was isolated to just the 97' 4.2 V6. If you've got a problem with your 97' that's probably the source. I've got a 98' 4.2 and have 83,000 miles on it, never had a problem with it. If you can. look for something 98' or above.

Old 03-07-2002, 07:09 AM
Thanks Guys. More info to share

First of all, thank you for the responses. I have managed to learn a good bit more since making this post and also adding to it with your info.

This engine, particulalry the 97 year has a fairly serious rate of rod knocking failures. It was due to the mentioned front timing cover gasket leak. Ford has acknowledged it via TSB that adresses it but they fell short of a recall for it. I won't try and discuss the wisdom of that decision.

But I do think that at least I can get my arms around how I will go about making the engine whole again. It is a variation of the 3.8 which I have torn into before with no real issues as far as weirdness...:-)

I purchased the truck and am now going to be in the getting a new engien mode for the next few weeks.

Now then the hotrodder in me starts to rear its ugly head. Since I'm going to be doing a new engine, and since it should have been a V-8 to start with..*grin*...Ummm what do you guys know about performance mods both internal and external to the 4.2 that may make it interesting?

I mean since I'm gonna be doing it I may as well make it a memorable experience...right???

I will await with bated breath the results of your experiencs in this area.

Old 03-07-2002, 03:05 PM
i have been told my gaskets in the head or the front cover can be the problem, I hope its the head gasket I just got the sert and it sent me back $250

Joe

Old 03-07-2002, 08:09 PM
Well this is a good mod. I plan on getting this supercharger in about 2 months for my 98 4.2. Go here to see.

http://www.autoperformance.net/index1.html

Trending Topics

Old 03-10-2002, 01:13 AM
My 1997 4.2 V6 engine had to be replaced I am talking the intire thing. I got a letter in the mail about a fuel line leak so the truck was taken to be checked it was fine but they said I needed to bring it back to have the head gaskect check (by the was the truck at the time had about 112000 on it ) when I took it back they said that the engine had to be replaced becosue they found water in the oil . The truck was great but had one issue at stop lights sometimes it would start to shake badly and die. So I thought well this must be why but even after is had the new engine put in it still has this problem. does anyone else have this problem sarry to change the subject but I would just like to know if they are related.

KC MO hun i am from Springfield MO I have to drive up there sometimes.

Last edited by In ford I Trust; 03-10-2002 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Your 1st post?

Avoid the 97 4.2v6 like the black plague......lol.....I was reading all the past posts and came across this one.

Quick Reply: New Guy with questions looking for answers.