4.2 V6 Oil And Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 09:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

WHY do some people insist on thinking that their 4.2 V6 has that MAGIC UNICORN 7 qt. oil pan? Did you get one of those RARE 7 qt. molded oil pans, before FORD threw the mold away? PLEASE Google what CAN happen inside of the crankcase of the internal combustion engine when you over fill it with oil! Then, decide if your 4.2 V6 STILL has that MAGIC UNICORN 7 qt. oil pan! SMH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-03-2018, 12:26 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Don't be silly. We all know there is no such thing as a MAGIC UNICORN. But Big Foot, The Loch Ness Monster, Gremlins, Leprechauns, and "special tranny fluid" are all real under the hood.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:24 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by Fifty150
Don't be silly. We all know there is no such thing as a MAGIC UNICORN. But Big Foot, The Loch Ness Monster, Gremlins, Leprechauns, and "special tranny fluid" are all real under the hood.
And, I guess you're going to tell me next that FORD has NEVER made a mistake in engineering of the F-150?
I bet your 4.2 V6 doesn't have self cleaning spark plugs! Or, a fuel filter that purges the dirt thru a Pishotty valve. One last thing mine has I bet yours doesn't have, a FLUX CAPACITOR! Man, put all of those ROUGAROU (ROOG UH ROO) options together, and I get unlimited mpg!

Fifty150, I actually LOL when I read your reply.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
put all of those ROUGAROU (ROOG UH ROO) options together, and I get unlimited mpg!

https://youtu.be/XxTkrRJ41K4

Fifty150, I actually LOL when I read your reply.

ha ha ha.......I always wondered what a ROUGAROU was. Glad you cleared that up for me. Being from The Left Coast, every time I heard someone say that word, I was lost & confused. Baffled & bewildered. Bewitched. I couldn't even look it up, since I didn't know how to spell it.

That is why I have a V6, that has the power of a V8. Just like those 4 cylinder import guys who think that they can beat a V8 on the 1/4 mile track. Or the front wheel drive guys who can "drift". Same way that if a dude had a wig, a purse, & lipstick, he can go into the ladies bathroom.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:25 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
if a dude had a wig, a purse, & lipstick, he can go into the ladies bathroom
Isn't that true on the left coast?

Old 11-06-2018, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Isn't that true on the left coast?
You do not want to know how true it really is. The mall has a huge bathroom with sinks in the middle, urinals along 1 wall, and stalls which anyone and everyone can use. Yes. 1 big bathroom, for men & women to go into together. You don't even want to know about how the locker room & showers are at the gym.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:36 PM
Old 03-07-2019, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAPA is at the very top of the heap in terms of filters.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:24 AM
glc
Originally Posted by streetwisegtr
Yes, NAPA Gold is made by Wix. However, it's no better than Motorcraft.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by streetwisegtr
I'll bite. How?

Old 08-02-2019, 02:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Which oil weight, brand, and oil filter are you using in/on your 4.2 V6? How many miles/months are you going between oil changes? And, do you change the oil filter at EVERY OCI?
Currently I am using CASTROL 0W40, M1 M-209 oil filter, changed every 7.5K miles/12 months, and use a new oil filter EVERY OCI.

"One Filter, One OCI!"
3 months ago, I used 0W-20. Milesyn. Motorcraft filter. I change every 5,000 miles as per the owners manual and maintenance schedule. Truck is @ 90,XXX miles now.

Just checked the dipstick. Level was perfectly in the middle of the hash marks. Looked clean. Smelled clean. I was tempted to dab a little with my pickle finger, and touch it to the tip of my tongue, like Sonny Crockett used to do on Miami Vice.

Always change filter with oil.

I've been using 0W-20 or 5W-20, ever since I read on 0W-20 oil bottle labels that it could be used for 5W-20 applications. No brand loyalty, science or superstition to picking out oil. I'll buy whatever is on sale, if I have a coupon, and there is a rebate. Full synthetic oil drops in price to the same as conventional oil or synthetic blend. Then I buy whatever the rebate limit is, and that's good for another year. Same with filters. Motorcraft is about $4. Sometimes you can get a case for under $40. No motivation to save a few pennies, until last month. I found a case of 12 filters for $20. Same quality as any garage or lube shop. Doesn't matter, since I'm not trying to run oil for 10,000 miles.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:11 AM
Question

Originally Posted by Fifty150
In the U.S.A., every owners manual says "MotorCraft", and gives a MotorCraft part no. for the oil & filter. In Europe, Ford recommends Castrol. On my fuel cap, the recommended fuel is BP. Once upon a time, there was a TSB which instructed to use 5W-20 in almost every vehicle, and all new cars sold were spec 5W-20. Now, on some new cars, the owners manual also list 0W-20. A quick look at the InterWeb, and you will see the discussion going back almost a decade, in regards to using 0W-20.

I just changed the oil yesterday. Amazon.com had 6 - 1 quart bottles of Castrol Magnatec 0W-20 for about $20. A while back, I bought a case of 12 FL-400S filters on Amazon.com for $14. So there it is. 0W-20 & MotorCraft filter. For the record, I've used 0W-20 in the truck before. Years ago, when the truck was new, Wal*Mart had a sale on Mobil 1 0W-20. Nothing bad happened. 10 years later, after using 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30.......all depending on what was on sale, and if I had a coupon......nothing bad happened. I've used boutique brand oils. I've tried K&N, AFE, Mobil 1, Wix, MotorCraft, AC Delco, Champion.......but stayed away from Fram filters.

I'm not really worried about motor oil & filter brand. I know from experience with fleet operations, that commercial vehicles are driven harder, and get the lowest cost oil & filter. I see the trucks at work going over 1,000 miles a week, get an oil change once a month, and never high cost premium boutique oil or expensive filters. Fleet oil & fleet filters. Yet, these trucks go for hundreds of thousands of miles. The key is changing the oil, vs not changing the oil. No extended oil change intervals. Monthly oil changes at or about every 5,000 miles. My boss laughs about how he would rather pay $29.95 every month, than $30K for a new truck.

With owning this truck for over a decade.......I cannot definitively indicate any realized benefits, what-so-ever, from using the boutique oil or high priced filter. Nor cannot I specifically articulate any harm or fault from using a lower price point combination of oil & filter.

Does that CASTROL MAGNATEC really keep your engine quiet upon startup?

Old 08-02-2019, 07:20 PM
glc
No more than any other oil.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:42 PM
I can honestly say that GLC is absolutely correct. No better or worse than any other oil. Everything you see on the bottle is advertising. Every oil claims to clean. No oil will read, "makes the engine loud". I love the claims of better mileage and performance.

I know that every oil is bottled with different recipes of additives. But I don't know how, or if, my truck benefits from the additive packages. After all, the 4.2 engine is not high-performance, or has any special technology. It's like watching people pour boutique oil into a Corolla. How is that racing oil going to benefit?

Is anybody, with scientific evidence, able to say that"xxx" brand is the best oil in a 4.2 engine?

The only thing I really believe, is that synthetic oil will not break down as fast as conventional oil. But even that doesn't really mean anything with OEM specified oil change intervals. Oil need only meet OEM specifications.

Over the course of my lifetime, I have yet to see first-hand, any performance gain or increased mileage, from a motor oil.

I liked the price for Magnatec. 5 quart jugs from $16 - $21. $90 for 6 gallon box is $3.75 per quart. Full synthetic oil is usually more expensive. Havoline now has 6 quart boxes for $20. Walmart oil is also a good deal. O'Reilly full synthetic is $22, but I bought it with a $10 off coupon. I just buy whatever is least expensive when I need oil. I need to learn to stock up on oil when the price is low.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love saving money on motor oil. I am frugal.

Quick Reply: 4.2 V6 Oil And Filter